Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 02:37 PM

226 posts, read 639,697 times

Advertisements

This could be remarkably stupid:

Say you live in a more northwestern-ish neighborhood, like Logan Square or Old Irving Park, and want to get to a northern-ish neighborhood, like Lakeview or Uptown. What exactly is the quickest way to do so? Would it be 100% buses? There certainly doesn't appear to be any El line that would be conducive to such travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,614,422 times
Not a stupid question. Unfortunately, there aren't great CTA options to/from the neighborhoods you mention.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,824,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not a stupid question. Unfortunately, there aren't great CTA options to/from the neighborhoods you mention.
Well some bus lines are really good, like Belmont. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for the Belmont bus. In general, yeah you have to rely on the bus, however if you live in Logan Square, Avondale or Irving Park, it really isn't that bad, more so if you live in the eastern ends of those neighborhoods. I have walked plenty of times from Avondale to Lakeview. A cab ride from Avondale to Lincoln Park or Lakeview is usually like $6-$8 for me.

I think once you start going west of Kimball then it takes longer to get to those northside neighorhoods.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,288,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
This could be remarkably stupid:

Say you live in a more northwestern-ish neighborhood, like Logan Square or Old Irving Park, and want to get to a northern-ish neighborhood, like Lakeview or Uptown. What exactly is the quickest way to do so? Would it be 100% buses? There certainly doesn't appear to be any El line that would be conducive to such travel.
Yes, buses. I suppose alternately you could take the Blue Line downtown and then transfer to the Red or Brown Line to get back up north, but that's kind of like going around the world to get next door, and likely won't save you any time.

In addition to the Belmont bus, I find the #80 Irving Park runs pretty often... during the day, anyway -- but there is no OWL service.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

439 posts, read 951,244 times
In most cases it will take two buses. Between waiting twice and the fact that buses get stuck in traffic it can take a fair amount of time. Best way is by bike.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,118,585 times
That's actually a good question. I lived in Logan Square and always hung out in Lakeview. It annoyed me that they were so close, but it always seemed difficult to get there really easily. I usually just took the Blue Line up to Belmont and then the bus over, or Fullerton bus over to Red Line up to Belmont.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,238,456 times
No love for the Montrose bus? It always seemed a heck of a lot quicker than the Lawrence bus and got me to all the goodies in North Center very easily.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM

226 posts, read 639,697 times
Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: