Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 3,054,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
So just don't expect teens who dont have the means to go to summer camps, (especially at a time when there are so many cuts in free social programs) play their video games all day or fiddle with their computer programs, expect them to gain meaningful employment when the economy is still somewhat stale, to just sit at home and do nothing. We are humans and we do not function like that, all of us. What these youth are doing is wrong, but you have to also look at the big picture because we all have to take some blame with what is going on.
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Sorry, but your blissninnie liberal wonderland is an invalid construct from the start. I take absolutely no blame in the problem with thugs. The idea that cable TV, free food, shelter, video games, city parks, etc. isn't enough is laughable.

The problem here is humans no longer have to live like humans had to just 150 years ago. In the recent past (given the age of humanity), you had to work or you died. There was no middle ground. You either slaved away for someone and were taken care of, or you were killed (yes, even white people were slaves in the past...where are my European reparations by the way?). If you lived in a non-slave society, you had to get water to survive. Grow or hunt your own food to survive. Cut wood and keep a fire going to either cook food or provide heat.

As the world has advanced, many of the things above are taken for granted. That is still no excuse for these attacks. Humans can still find plenty of non-criminal activities that can help them pass the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I didn't resort to sorry cliches, but thanks for such an illuminating post which ultimately says nothing. I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that society spending more money to jail someone than educate them might eventually create problems like these?
I don't know what it is like in Chicago, but the lower income schools in Indiana (mostly Gary and Indianapolis schools) spend thousands more per child than most other schools.

What we have is a cultural problem that is going to get very, very ugly in the future. A portion of black culture, the hip-hop/gangsta rap portion, is slowly destroying a large % of the African-American population. Throwing more money won't solve the issue. The average taxpayer is tapped out.

America, as it stands now, is an invalid construct. A crash is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Well its kind of unintelligent to be riding your bike at night.
If one lives in an area where they can't ride their bike at any hour during the day, due to the possibility of being assaulted, raped, or robbed, then that area is third world America. In any industrialized nation that has as much law and order as America, everyone should be safe to ride their bike at night. The idea that one should even be cautious for fear of being attacked means that area of the country is lost to personal freedom. Yea, it may not be that bad, but it is 10,000 worse than in the suburbs. It is pretty sad that we have places in the US where enough humans feel the need to violate someone else, that the law-abiding actually have to fear going outside during certain hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,149,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
why? as long as you've got proper lights it's a great time to ride, as the traffic is less crazy.
Given the chain of events, its not the smartest thing to do. But then again, half of the victims were jumped in the daylight.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Given the chain of events, its not the smartest thing to do. But then again, half of the victims were jumped in the daylight.
In the parks, maybe. But on a street with bright lights and high foot traffic, you're going to run inside at dusk? I guess if it's a horrible neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,761,152 times
I have been reading more everyday about mob attacks and it seems to only escalate. I blame the offenders and the Chicago police department. I'm starting to think I might just fly-over Chicago this summer and go to New York.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,363,764 times
Well, I live in lakeview now, and just today, I noticed the following:

1. Around noon, I was crossing Belmont and Clark, and there was a couple (latino man and woman) who were acting, lets say, "shifty". The woman was zig-zagging in front of me, as I walked in a straight line. She looked at my face and when I looked at hers, she gave me that weird look where they twist their head and try to look bug-eyed at you. I just stared right through her soul, and she looked away.

2. There is CONSTANTLY, especially at night, on Halsted Street, weird, shifty people walking around. When I lived in East Lakeview five years ago, I never saw people like this. They look you up and down, like they are sizing you up for a robbing or a shanking. I never saw these creepy people before. Where the hell did they come from? They sure as hell do not look like they live in Lakeview.

3. I have also noticed a lot of what I call "gay gangs" (gayngs?) walking around on Halsted. It seems like they were the ones causing all the trouble at the last two years' pride parades. Has anyone else noticed this 'element'? I never saw these people before, until recently.

SOMETHING is going on. I just cant tell what it is. It almost seems like all of this is organized.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 PM

81 posts, read 237,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Well, I live in lakeview now, and just today, I noticed the following:

2. There is CONSTANTLY, especially at night, on Halsted Street, weird, shifty people walking around. When I lived in East Lakeview five years ago, I never saw people like this. They look you up and down, like they are sizing you up for a robbing or a shanking. I never saw these creepy people before. Where the hell did they come from? They sure as hell do not look like they live in Lakeview.

SOMETHING is going on. I just cant tell what it is. It almost seems like all of this is organized.
Are you a transplant..because that is what most Chicagoans dont like about transplants. That sense of entitlement thinking Lakeview and Lincoln park are there neighborhoods. Those people you are encountering are probably true Chicagoans who have as much right to be where you live at right now. In my opinion your post is not good and probably shows you have deep sided racial tendencies you have to deal with.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,154,758 times
So, we need to be street smart, but can't be concerned about people acting aggressively if they happen to be minorities? Well, I'll be sure to reflect on what a horrible person I am during my beating!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 PM

537 posts, read 1,029,344 times
Well they caught one scum, all the way from West Lawn. Pretty far from any MLDs,

Top cop vows 'relentless' pursuit of gang involved in shooting of girls at park - Chicago Breaking News

Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,253,336 times
One of the victims of the attack approached the group of thugs and offered to buy cigarettes from them. He took out his wallet and surprise, they stole it.

These thugs scope out their victims. In some of the incidents there is little you can do, but in other situations you can take precautions and make yourself a less likely target. Remember, animals always go for the low lying fruit. I've been a landlord and have lived on the west side for most of my life. I've walked through some hardcore ghettos and have never been assaulted, yet. I've had scum bags give me dirty looks but I always look them in the eye. Be aware of your surroundings, always, and keep your head up, and never let them smell fear.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 AM

61 posts, read 71,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Are you a transplant..because that is what most Chicagoans dont like about transplants. That sense of entitlement thinking Lakeview and Lincoln park are there neighborhoods. Those people you are encountering are probably true Chicagoans who have as much right to be where you live at right now. In my opinion your post is not good and probably shows you have deep sided racial tendencies you have to deal with.

Huh? And just what neighborhood did you grow up in? I bet it was not Lincoln Park or Lake View. I bet it was nowhere close to the north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago