Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,323,970 times

Advertisements

Hello

Two young people walking from the Greyhound bus terminal with luggage to One South Franklin (La Quinta Inn) early afternoon. As per google, it's about a 20 minute walk. If walking this route, would one go through any neighborhoods that might be considered dangerous?

Here's the route that google maps out:

1 south franklin - Google Maps

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,125,298 times
Downtown Chicago in the early afternoon for three or four blocks? Yes, that's a safe walk. Check on Wacker Drive construction (tell them to cross the river on Jackson).

I guess there's always the chance of being hit by a meteorite, though.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM

209 posts, read 587,430 times
Everything between the Greyhound station and 1 S. Franklin is perfectly safe, especially in the middle of the day. The station is on the edge of the Loop office district and it won't take long walking before you're in the middle of office buildings everywhere you look. Walk one block north and you'll start seeing office buildings and some residential skyscrapers as well. Assuming you don't have a lot of luggage and that whatever you do have is wheeled or easy to carry, it won't be a bad walk at all.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,400,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Hello

Two young people walking from the Greyhound bus terminal with luggage to One South Franklin (La Quinta Inn) early afternoon. As per google, it's about a 20 minute walk. If walking this route, would one go through any neighborhoods that might be considered dangerous?

Here's the route that google maps out:

1 south franklin - Google Maps

Thanks!
The neighborhood in that area is very safe. The only thing about the journey on foot that may not be is the area immediately around the Greyhound terminal. There are some sketchy characters who like to hang out in the immediate vicinity of the terminal. After work hours the area is pretty desolate. Personally, it worth $6 to me for two young people to jump in a cab immediately outside the terminal and go directly to your destination--especially if you're arriving in the late evening/very early morning hours. Saves you the trouble of the walk and it saves you a bit of time.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,073,473 times
You're totally fine. There might be some homeless people or something around that bus terminal as there are in every city in the country, but it's hardly dangerous. It's downtown in the middle of the day, hundreds of thousands of people are all around.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM

301 posts, read 1,323,970 times
A sincere thanks to all who replied!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 PM

61 posts, read 71,503 times
I would take a cab. Walking more than a block or two with luggage is not fun. It is also not worth being a potential slow moving target to the scumbags that hang out in and around and use the Greyhound station.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsiderebel View Post
I would take a cab. Walking more than a block or two with luggage is not fun.
Depends on the person and/or the luggage. I'd personally find it ridiculous to take a cab that distance, but that's partly because I'm super-broke. Anyway, just my two cents (about all I have lol).

Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM

61 posts, read 71,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Depends on the person and/or the luggage. I'd personally find it ridiculous to take a cab that distance, but that's partly because I'm super-broke. Anyway, just my two cents (about all I have lol).

Ridiculous to take a cab one mile with luggage? The fare would only be around $5-$7.

Last edited by northsiderebel; 06-13-2011 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago