Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM

60 posts, read 123,141 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to visit Chicago in a couple of weeks and the recent random mod attacks have us worried.

How bad is it as far as the crime go right now? Is it a bad time to visit? I don't want to cancel the trip but safety always comes first!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,174,452 times
You don't have to fear Mod attacks (unless you happen to be a Rocker).

In all seriousness, crime is pretty much what is was last year. There were a few instances of attacks but so far they were pretty isolated, and it's too early to call it a meaningful trend. The increased police presence in the areas affected will probably make the area safer than it's ever been (and it was never really that unsafe).

Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM

278 posts, read 633,420 times
Whatever you do don't cancel your trip because of these idiot teenagers and don't let them control any aspect of your life.

That being said, I work in the touristy part of town, River North, where one of these attacks took place. It's one of the safest parts of the city. You really have nothing to worry about. Just don't flaunt your electronics and be aware of your surroundings. These are not common occurrences and the police/mayors office are determined to prevent these kinds of attacks again.

Don't cancel your trip or the terrorists win!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,104,429 times
^^^ I have long been of the opinion that these gangs should be treated as domestic terrorists. If it's illegal to be a member of al Qaeda, why isn't it illegal to be a member of a the Latin Kings? (or whateverthehellgangthey'refrom) Call 'em "enemy combatants" and put 'em in the same hole, I say.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:44 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,069,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_faithful View Post
Hi,

We are planning to visit Chicago in a couple of weeks and the recent random mod attacks have us worried.

How bad is it as far as the crime go right now? Is it a bad time to visit? I don't want to cancel the trip but safety always comes first!

Thank you.
You really have nothing to worry about
your safe

In addition they have made arrests to this matter
In my opinion the media hypes all this up a bit too
to sell the paper or the station or listen to the program
you know the drill

Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM

278 posts, read 633,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
^^^ I have long been of the opinion that these gangs should be treated as domestic terrorists. If it's illegal to be a member of al Qaeda, why isn't it illegal to be a member of a the Latin Kings? (or whateverthehellgangthey'refrom) Call 'em "enemy combatants" and put 'em in the same hole, I say.
They're really not that far off from terrorists. They terrorize people. Obviously someone from another country is afraid to even come to Chicago because of them. They hurt people. They hunt in packs. Terrorist may be slightly too strong a word for them, but they're not that far off.

There has to be a reason why being in a criminal gang isn't illegal.... I don't get it.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:37 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
There has to be a reason why being in a criminal gang isn't illegal.... I don't get it.
Try writing such a law and making it lawyer-proof. That's why.

Those pesky constitutional rights can be so inconvenient sometimes, but it's better than the alternative.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Latin Kings? Pretty doubtful in this case. lol

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,069,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
They're really not that far off from terrorists. They terrorize people. Obviously someone from another country is afraid to even come to Chicago because of them. They hurt people. They hunt in packs. Terrorist may be slightly too strong a word for them, but they're not that far off.

Agree they are not far from what you describe

THUGS

Old 06-11-2011, 04:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,158,607 times
They where black.

Not Latino.

Stop being racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: