U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM

21,348 posts, read 34,040,569 times
Default Definitely aim for September weather wise!!!

The selection of quality apartments is probably flat from September through December, but it is far more pleasant to move well before our turns. Some years we can have fall like weather through December but more often the temperature really drops in mid Novemeber!

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Houston is extremely spread out; I'm actually looking forward to living in a city that is more dense, which is what I was used to in the Northeast. We have to sell our house in Montrose and then we'll be on our way. Before Christmas for sure but hopefully more like September. We're very excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,619,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The selection of quality apartments is probably flat from September through December, but it is far more pleasant to move well before our turns. Some years we can have fall like weather through December but more often the temperature really drops in mid Novemeber!

Good Luck!
Believe it or not we're excited about the cold weather! I'm sure you all don't hear that often! But it's true for us It's weird being in Houston in the winter without snow. But there are more sunny days here so it's a trade off I suppose.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM

278 posts, read 300,744 times
In addition to what everyone else suggested I reccommend checking out he southport area within lakeview. It has everything you described and is really nice.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Believe it or not we're excited about the cold weather! I'm sure you all don't hear that often! But it's true for us It's weird being in Houston in the winter without snow. But there are more sunny days here so it's a trade off I suppose.
Wow that is great to hear- Anyone from Houston I speak to always mentions the hot muggy summer days, Chicago has those to and you will feel right at home on some June, July and August days.

It is also a city of extremes as the days of July will be a mere distant memory on a nose biting January morning!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,619,723 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I can't wait to visit and see the neighborhoods!!

sunnyandcloudydays: Houston is extreme like this in the summer. It goes right from winter to summer. This year especially the hot weather started early.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM

157 posts, read 155,721 times
I lived in downtown Chicago for almost 20 years. based on what you said (upper 20's, a bit artsy, financial district job) here's what I would recommend.

• Use the CTA lines as a guide to be close to your best transportation in and out of the Loop (I recommend the Brown, Blue and Red lines)
  • Forget anything south. Period.
  • Lakeview - heavy eclectic and gay populations, but not necessarily a reason to avoid it - just know it going in
  • Lincoln Park - Lots of college kids, so steer clear of campuses and major roads (Clark, belmont, broadway) or you'll get lots of noise
  • I strongly prefer Old Town which is the closest neighborhood and also costlier, but has the best blend of everything I loved about the city. On the lake, the park - just great.
  • Andersonville is pretty far north so getting into the Loop will be a drag
  • Wrigleyville - too many suburban drunks and it stinks of stale old beer
  • Bucktown and Wicker Park also very good options. Artsy, lots of pubs and restaurants. Good transportation options. Don't go further west than Western Ave. though - thats the line to stop at. Further from the lake though. Nice neighborhood feel to both.
  • This really narrows your search geography down. there are two times a year when most rentals flood the market giving you lots of choices - I think one is in
  • people your age typically live in the city until the day the test comes back positive, then it's immediately out to the burbs, because NOBODY raises a kid in the city who has any brains, at least not past the age of four.
  • Enjoy it!! Chicago is a GREAT place to live, especially at your ages. It will become very familiar very quickly.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

7,472 posts, read 5,102,785 times
Andersonville to the Loop is about a 30 red line ride.

People with brains raise their kids in the City. It's the brain dead ones who knee jerkingly move to the suburbs.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,609,874 times
Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village/East Village - close to downtown, artsy, a lot of fun places to go, pubs, restaurants, parks.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,257,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
I lived in downtown Chicago for almost 20 years. based on what you said (upper 20's, a bit artsy, financial district job) here's what I would recommend.

• Use the CTA lines as a guide to be close to your best transportation in and out of the Loop (I recommend the Brown, Blue and Red lines)
  • Forget anything south. Period.
  • Lakeview - heavy eclectic and gay populations, but not necessarily a reason to avoid it - just know it going in
  • Lincoln Park - Lots of college kids, so steer clear of campuses and major roads (Clark, belmont, broadway) or you'll get lots of noise
  • I strongly prefer Old Town which is the closest neighborhood and also costlier, but has the best blend of everything I loved about the city. On the lake, the park - just great.
  • Andersonville is pretty far north so getting into the Loop will be a drag
  • Wrigleyville - too many suburban drunks and it stinks of stale old beer
  • Bucktown and Wicker Park also very good options. Artsy, lots of pubs and restaurants. Good transportation options. Don't go further west than Western Ave. though - thats the line to stop at. Further from the lake though. Nice neighborhood feel to both.
  • This really narrows your search geography down. there are two times a year when most rentals flood the market giving you lots of choices - I think one is in
  • people your age typically live in the city until the day the test comes back positive, then it's immediately out to the burbs, because NOBODY raises a kid in the city who has any brains, at least not past the age of four.
  • Enjoy it!! Chicago is a GREAT place to live, especially at your ages. It will become very familiar very quickly.
This is at least 40% nonsense.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 AM

381 posts, read 465,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
[*]people your age typically live in the city until the day the test comes back positive, then it's immediately out to the burbs, because NOBODY raises a kid in the city who has any brains, at least not past the age of four.[/list]
Well don't you look foolish.

You lived in DOWNTOWN Chicago. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago