Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,426 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that this is just a trend on this website, and not really reflective of Chicago in general, but I feel Chicagoans are very judgmental of others. I have read people making generalizations of different "groups" of people, hipsters, people living in Lincoln Park (trust fund babies???), why all the assumptions? and in one thread, somebody made a comment about Cabrini Green (which I had to look up to find out what it was), about the last of the people hopefully leaving the neighborhood soon so new homes can be put up. I just find all of this non sense to be disturbing. What ever happened to live and let live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,411,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I am hoping that this is just a trend on this website, and not really reflective of Chicago in general, but I feel Chicagoans are very judgmental of others. I have read people making generalizations of different "groups" of people, hipsters, people living in Lincoln Park (trust fund babies???), why all the assumptions? and in one thread, somebody made a comment about Cabrini Green (which I had to look up to find out what it was), about the last of the people hopefully leaving the neighborhood soon so new homes can be put up. I just find all of this non sense to be disturbing. What ever happened to live and let live?
I think it's a product of trying to generalize in a way that outsiders can can get a basic idea of an area. Each neighborhood has a prevailing character...some more distinct than others. Try explaining Williamsburg to someone who has never been to New York vs. Red Hook vs. the Upper East Side without making some basic generalizations. Grammercy Park and "trust fund baby" or "blue blood" would probably come up at some point talking about that neighborhood, no?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol there are plenty of rich daddies girls in lincoln park lakeview that parents pay for their pads... much more so than the "hipsters" over in logan square, certainly.
I think its more that a lot of the trust fund hipsters feign being poor or try to act less worldly, when in reality they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why do people hate hipsters? Do they attack people or something?

I don't hate hipsters, I just hate people who claim to be non-conformists, think they are better because of it when in reality they are pretty conformist too.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I think that's a product of message boards in general. I don't think any of the heavily trafficked boards of City Data are much different.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think that's a product of message boards in general. I don't think any of the heavily trafficked boards of City Data are much different.
Yep

Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,411,945 times
One more thought on Cabrini too Fareastcoast:

People were in a hurry to tear that down not only because it prevented wealthy people from living in a price location, but because they also didn't want to be reminded of the failure of the ultra-dense highrise public housing you find there.

NY projects are bad, but IMO, Chicago's were worse. I tutored in them for a couple of years and a friend of mine was a social worker who pulled kids out of houses in the middle of the night working with DCFS (talk about a thankless job).

New Years and 4th of July, you could forget about cops even going there during the 80s and much of the 90s. It was complete uncontrolled chaos with full fledged gun battles, and snipers (yes, snipers) on rooftops...shooting at SWAT, cops, rival gangs, someone walking the street, you name it.

Wealthy folks moved in across the street when they were in the process of tearing the highrises down and there was the stray bullet here or there that found it's way through a window or wall into someone's home. Kind of hard to live and let live.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I don't hate hipsters, I just hate people who claim to be non-conformists, think they are better because of it when in reality they are pretty conformist too.
Yep... You nailed it... So many people think they're "nonconformist" when, in reality, they've merely traded one brand of conformity for another.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
so are you guys saying there are no nonconformists or individuals anymore?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so are you guys saying there are no nonconformists or individuals anymore?
Of course they are. They are usually truly unique individuals who march to the beat of their own drum instead of simply a different drum.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Some of us are practically incapable of conforming, for better or for worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago