Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Dead on here. Our tourist zone is more compact, so walking down Mich Ave, you probably have a higher tourist to local ratio than you would in a place like Midtown Manhattan. Tourists tend to eat what they know.

Another problem is that River North is full of newer buildings with bigger floor plates than you find in Manhattan. Manhattan has all kinds of tall, but very skinny buildings with some ground floor retail that is probably too small for your typical modern chain restaurant. Smaller mom&pops can stake a claim in these places there, but a small local joint doesn't have these spaces as available here.
This makes sense, tourists in a city is really a double edged sword, but as long as they are bringing in the cash, that is all htat matters. I just really despise eating at chain restaurants .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 72,242 times
I've been looking at Chicago as I find a place to move from the Greater LA area. Did you know that Chicago was founded by a Black man? I am looking at NYC as well, but to be honest, I don't really see the point of spending all the money it would take to live there. It might be a good place to visit over a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure I would live there... Chicago seems to be a good compromise.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM

44 posts, read 150,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
You will have to venture to some sketchy neighborhoods but, find you a Harold's Chicken Shack for some really good eats.
Wicker Park has a great Harold's Chicken Shack location

Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
But that wouldn't explain how the little guy survives in Manhattan.
Even though the Near North Side, including River North and Mich Ave is the densest part of Chicago, Manhattan is still anywhere from 2 to 4 times as dense with local residents in most parts, has about 50% more density of office workers, and probably 4 times the density of tourists overall. That's a LOT of extra potential customers.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Chic-Fil-a is new to us. Anything new is cool, but I guarentee by Christmas no one will give a ****.
I hear the ghost of Orange Julius calling...

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Chain food has gotten much better and many of them are pretty good; I have no problem with Baci, Cosi, Corner Bakery and Sbarro's. Hell, it's just lunch. I like Jimmy John's too. And the Sbarro's pizza I got on the Ohio turnpike was far better than the lousy pizza I got at Sally's in New Haven; talk about overrated.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Chain food has gotten much better and many of them are pretty good; I have no problem with Baci, Cosi, Corner Bakery and Sbarro's. Hell, it's just lunch. I like Jimmy John's too. And the Sbarro's pizza I got on the Ohio turnpike was far better than the lousy pizza I got at Sally's in New Haven; talk about overrated.
Three of those "chains" are local companies, a fourth is local to Illinois, and the fifth is in bankruptcy.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:
But that wouldn't explain how the little guy survives in Manhattan.
They survive by using lesser quality ingredients a lot of times, not all places but quite a few. Not just mom & pop stores, but also chains. And the prices are already inflated, that is how they do it. My big surprise as a born and raised Midwesterner came when I ate at a Papa John's there one night. It was nothing at all like the Papa John's in my hometown. It didn't even taste like real cheese lol. Even the little pepper they put alongside in the box with it looked kind of skinny and sad.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Isn't it just like a McDonalds?
Actually, no, Chic Fil A is not like a McDonald's.

1. They are a very *fundamentalist Christian chain.* You can tell by the music they play usually and by their charitable arm is very active in the fight against gay marriage.

Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples | Change.org News

Some things they sponsor are good programs though like the Core Essentials values education program.

What We Teach « Core Essentials

2. They are better for your health than most fast food places because they use fresh ingredients. They have side salads and fruit cups to add to meals as well.

Chick-fil-A: Healthy Lifestyle
Quote:
At Chick-fil-A we use fresh quality ingredients. Our salads and wraps are freshly prepared, the lemon juice for our Lemonade is freshly squeezed, and we even chop our own cabbage and carrots for our Cole Slaw and Carrot and Raisin Salad. We also apply the same fresh approach to our chicken. All of our chicken is freshly breaded at each Restaurant.
Not sure what they will do in Chicago, but here in Houston, they sponsor lots kids events. They sponsor fund raising events for the local schools as well. McDonald's does coupons, Chik Fil A does actual events.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I'm honestly surprised that people care so much that it is a "conservative" ownership chain. I'm flabbergasted that people will boycott eating there because they don't support gay marriage.

Guess what? If I'm hungry for chicken and it's nearby, I'm getting it.

And, I appreciate that they are closed on Sundays for those employees who wish to spend time with their family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, no, Chic Fil A is not like a McDonald's.

1. They are a very *fundamentalist Christian chain.* You can tell by the music they play usually and by their charitable arm is very active in the fight against gay marriage.

Yes, Chick-fil-A Says, We Explicitly Do Not Like Same-Sex Couples | Change.org News

Some things they sponsor are good programs though like the Core Essentials values education program.

What We Teach « Core Essentials

2. They are better for your health than most fast food places because they use fresh ingredients. They have side salads and fruit cups to add to meals as well.

Chick-fil-A: Healthy Lifestyle

Not sure what they will do in Chicago, but here in Houston, they sponsor lots kids events. They sponsor fund raising events for the local schools as well. McDonald's does coupons, Chik Fil A does actual events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago