Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Three of those "chains" are local companies, a fourth is local to Illinois, and the fifth is in bankruptcy.
Locally headquartered "chains" are still chains. Jimmy Johns, Corner Bakery and Cosi joints are all over the place including Lexington Ky.

Speaking of Kentucky, Waffle House is a damned good chain. When you live in a place like Lexington for a couple of years you learn to appreciate good chains because the local food, while "authentic" is also sickening; generally containing too much sugar, too much salt AND too much grease all in the same dish.

Panera is good and Ruby Tuesday has an excellent choice sirloin dinner available. Cheddar's is OK too. And Culver's; damned good hamburger at Culver's, good pot roast sandwich too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'm honestly surprised that people care so much that it is a "conservative" ownership chain. I'm flabbergasted that people will boycott eating there because they don't support gay marriage.
It's not that they "don't support" gay marriage... it's that they actively support anti-gay groups, according to the article that was posted above.

I'd like to try Chick Fil-A one of these days as I've never been to one. And I generally don't engage in boycotts unless I have a very personal reason, i.e., I found the company's product and/or service to be terrible so I won't patronize them anymore.

However, as a gay man I have to ask myself, Do I want to pay money to a business where part of that money goes to causes that are opposed to my interests, especially when the business makes no secret of that fact? I'd have to do some thinking on that one.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
There is also a location in the South Loop, at Wabash and Balbo
With Harolds, every location is an adventure ..check out the LTH forum endless thread on the best, worst, and vagaries of each ... the debate's been going on for years .. Try them all ( if you dare !!)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 PM

312 posts, read 712,985 times
I tried to get lunch at the new Chick Fil A at Chicago and Wabash. The line was too long and, I could be wrong, but it looked like they had a doorman with one of those podiums you see at music venues where they stamp your hand and take your money. This was at 1:30 PM on a Friday afternoon,. I was astonished, and I could have really used a chicken sandwich.

I'm not lodging a complaint, but it just reinforces my personal point that getting lunch when you work in River North is spotty unless you want Jimmy John's, Potbelly, Subway, Portillio's, or want to pay a butt ton and are able to spend over an hour for lunch.

The 2 places where you can grab a good meal and get in and get out are Pompeii Bakery and Cosi

Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Now that has taken the chicken sandwich a bit far
too funny

i think the sandwich is okay but nothing special it a chicken sandwich
with a little pickle on it
not bad food but not exceptionally good either just average

nice they respect the employess for a sunday off work
I wonder if they pay them a decent livable wage

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
It's not that they "don't support" gay marriage... it's that they actively support anti-gay groups.

FTW, I see no reason to support those who use their money to support bigotry.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Strongly agree with you if you serve the public why would you voice your opinion on this issue.

I realize its a free country but somethings whethe you agree or disagree are better just left alone.

This could be one reason why they may not be welecomed in the Chicago market
as they stayed away for a long long long time

I read in the south bend , indiana paper not too long ago they had some type of uproar over this issue so its not new to this company

Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Seriously I agree with this. And I"m surprised it's that hard to understand.

And the idea that their ingredients are any different or more fresh than say a Wendy's is ludicrous -- they also offer salads and fruit cups (as well as highly processed dressing)

And I think their nuggets are no good.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
I cant understand why anybody, anywhere (let alone a city like Chicago), would eat at some crap fast food chain like Chick Fil A or Subway, or any other garbage like that. If you need food fast, there should be so many better options.

BTW, can anybody recomend a good Deli in the gold coast / old town area?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I cant understand why anybody, anywhere (let alone a city like Chicago), would eat at some crap fast food chain like Chick Fil A or Subway, or any other garbage like that. If you need food fast, there should be so many better options.

BTW, can anybody recomend a good Deli in the gold coast / old town area?
Is subway even edible? Try Perry's in the Loop. I never go to the Gold Coast, no clue about deli's in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago