Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Goethe & LSD? Wow, it would be hard NOT to enjoy Chicago, with that as your home base.

Of course it might get a little sterile there, as you say, but fortunately, 99% of the city is significantly more "earthy," so if you ever need to downgrade, you're in luck!

Your right, it is a great area, and I have enjoyed it so far. Chicago is a great city. That is pretty much my favorite part of the city, I am living in a top notch building with 2 bedrooms / with lake views, and am paying LESS than I did for a glorified studio in SoHo, I am not sure how that is possible, but I love it!

The only thing I wish Chicago had was better access to food. THe food is great, I am just used to having everything available to me on every block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
The only thing I wish Chicago had was better access to food. THe food is great, I am just used to having everything available to me on every block.

LTH forum and the GNR list.

LTHForum.com • Index page

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Humboldt Park is probably the most similar hood in Chicago to a Spanish Harlem (NYC). Proceed with caution as the area gets progressively more dangerous the further west you go. It is the home of Chicago's Puerto Rican community (a community that is WELL represented in NYC).

Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM

312 posts, read 712,799 times
Spanish Harlem is more of a Dominican and Puerto Rican mix. Having lived in both, I don't think they feel similar at all

Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Great thoughts on the city, and you really seem to understand it well for being here such a short time. A lot of people have already hit on these, but I think your next project should be to expand your horizons even a bit further (although you've done a great job in the short time you've been here:

-Pilsen: as mentioned, definitely more vibrant than Spanish Harlem.
-Division St corridor/Little Puerto Rico: more Spanish Harlemy, but small/understated
-Albany Park: extremely diverse. Probably does a good job of approximating some of the most diverse (Mexican, S. American, Korean, Indochina, Middle Eastern) neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens. More of a Queens scale though.
-Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/Andersonville. All variations on the same theme in terms of comfort, walkability, with their own ethnic influences (Swedish or German).
-Avondale: great Polish around Milwaukee and Belmont. More hispanic influences over the last 10-15 years, but still noticeably Polish.
-Devon for Indian
-Argyle St in Uptown is a modest Vietnamese neighborhood.
-Hyde Park and U of C, which remind me a lot of the area around Columbia in NYC
-For Green space off the lake, you should check out the boulevard system. This is definitely a day time trip (some sketchy areas, particularly for a newcomer trying to sort things out). Garfield, Humboldt, and Douglas parks are all kind of Prospect Park sized and connected by a boulevard system. Garfield has a nice conservatory Garfield Park Conservatory

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am gonna check out Pilson tomorrow. Any ideas for places to eat?

I am not a guy who demands diversity everywhere I go, but working with a group of all white males, its nice to switch it up a bit. Most times, I just like grabbing a few drinks/apps at a lounge after work. I honestly much rather eat some street food most of the time than the next hot restaurant (which I do also enjoy). Im a pretty white collar worker with immigrent Italian and Russian Jew blood

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
-For Green space off the lake, you should check out the boulevard system. This is definitely a day time trip (some sketchy areas, particularly for a newcomer trying to sort things out). Garfield, Humboldt, and Douglas parks are all kind of Prospect Park sized and connected by a boulevard system. Garfield has a nice conservatory Garfield Park Conservatory
Word.

Its a shame some of our nicest parks are located near higher crime neighborhoods, as the parks are less utilized than they should be. But they are definitely worth a visit. Humboldt Park is everything an urban park should be.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:19 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post

-Pilsen: as mentioned, definitely more vibrant than Spanish Harlem.

[/url]
I don't really see too many similarities between Spanish Harlem and pilson, but I disagree with pilson definitely being more vibrant. Harlem is a huge neighborhood, and in my experience was always thriving. I lived with a friend one summer at 102nd and 3rd ( not sure if that's technically Spanish Harlem though), but that area was bustling, and very dense (apron. 70k /sq mi). Pilson is a great hood though and the mexican food is top notch.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
I think there is plenty of food! Though not on every block I suppose. I live within brief walking distance of seven independent fast food sources. Glad you like Chicago though!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I think there is plenty of food! Though not on every block I suppose. I live within brief walking distance of seven independent fast food sources. Glad you like Chicago though!
Agreed that there is a ton of food - it just depends on where you live. I have an overwhelming amount of choices that someone in Garfield Ridge might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago