Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else find both of these articles to be incredibly disappointing?

CHA kills controversial plan to drug test residents - Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago aldermen balk at drug testing for city employees - chicagotribune.com

Personally, I think both city employees (including Aldermen) and CHA residents should be subject to drug tests. I've held several jobs where random drug tests were required. In every case, I needed that job in order to live my life, pay my bills, and meet my obligations. There was nothing optional about the tests because, although someone can say "well you could just quit" that is not a realistic option for any responsible person.

I really just don't understand all the opposition to these tests. If they don't want to do it, I'll take a test in exchange for a cushy city job and free housing... Why do people think city employment and CHA housing are "rights?" No one forces anyone to do either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I really just don't understand all the opposition to these tests.
It's a Constitutional violation as far as I'm concerned.

And with Chicago, you know that they would 1) do it as expensively as possible, and 2) make a million mistakes and get sued left and right.

Just legalize it all already, haven't we thrown enough money and lives away re-enacting the original failure of Prohibition?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's a Constitutional violation as far as I'm concerned.

And with Chicago, you know that they would 1) do it as expensively as possible, and 2) make a million mistakes and get sued left and right.

Just legalize it all already, haven't we thrown enough money and lives away re-enacting the original failure of Prohibition?
Well, just IMO, legalization of drugs and drug testing are two different issues. I am all for drug legalization.

To me though, as it is now, using drugs is illegal. I am paying these people's salaries and for their housing with my tax dollars. I would lose the things I have if I did something illegal, such as use illegal drugs. If drug testing violates a person's constitutional rights, why are private entities able to do it?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Well, just IMO, legalization of drugs and drug testing are two different issues. I am all for drug legalization.

To me though, as it is now, using drugs is illegal. I am paying these people's salaries and for their housing with my tax dollars. I would lose the things I have if I did something illegal, such as use illegal drugs. If drug testing violates a person's constitutional rights, why are private entities able to do it?
Private entities *shouldn't* be able to do it, either. But we have a lot of stupid weenies in America who have zero appreciation for the concept of freedom, as defined as "the right to pursue happiness" - the moral majority nitwits and the puritans can all take a long hike off of a short pier.

But I don't agree with your premise, actually.

If a homeowner gets stopped for smoking a joint during Blues Fest (I assume some of those folks are homeowners), they will get some kind of slap on the wrist, but they won't lose their house, and they won't lose their job.

Why would (or should) they, when those things have nothing connecting them?

Now, people doing drugs ON the job is a different story. People using public housing to deal/store drugs for sale is a different story.

I'd ask what the real motivation of this whole plan was- I'd wager it had more to do with giving somebody connected a fat, juicy contract to administer the tests rather than any serious intention to improve public housing.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Should people lose their jobs or housing for doing illegal things like speeding? Parking illegally? It is all a matter of where you draw the line for illegal activities.

In general I think it is the job of law enforcement and the courts to administer laws - not employers or other agencies. If someone is doing their job well, why should they be drug tested? If someone is doing drugs and isn't doing their job well they should be fired for not doing their job.

If someone is not causing disturbances or problems in a housing complex why throw them out? I think it is better to manage both workplaces and housing based on monitoring things that MATTER in keeping both running well, not based on outside factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'd ask what the real motivation of this whole plan was- I'd wager it had more to do with giving somebody connected a fat, juicy contract to administer the tests rather than any serious intention to improve public housing.
That may or may not be the motivation for the plan, but either way it would be the result of it. I think the recent CPS breakfast rules are the result of something similar.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
The only thing that I see fit is drug/alcohol testing for city employees who have constant contact with the public. And in this sense, I mean it for public safety. I'm not sure I want some stoned or drunk dude driving my redline train, or the Clark St. bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Should people lose their jobs or housing for doing illegal things like speeding? Parking illegally? It is all a matter of where you draw the line for illegal activities.

In general I think it is the job of law enforcement and the courts to administer laws - not employers or other agencies. If someone is doing their job well, why should they be drug tested? If someone is doing drugs and isn't doing their job well they should be fired for not doing their job.

If someone is not causing disturbances or problems in a housing complex why throw them out? I think it is better to manage both workplaces and housing based on monitoring things that MATTER in keeping both running well, not based on outside factors.

That may or may not be the motivation for the plan, but either way it would be the result of it. I think the recent CPS breakfast rules are the result of something similar.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The only thing that I see fit is drug/alcohol testing for city employees who have constant contact with the public. And in this sense, I mean it for public safety. I'm not sure I want some stoned or drunk dude driving my redline train, or the Clark St. bus.
I can understand blood tests for people operating heavy machinery or working in dangerous environments, but I still would be opposed to things like **** tests. If a CTA driver goes to a BBQ over the weekend and drinks some beers and smokes a joint I don't think they should be fired. If they show up on the job drunk, high, or hungover that's definitely a different matter. I believe the CTA motorman who ran off the rails in the Loop in the 70's was high at the time.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
I can understand blood tests for people operating heavy machinery or working in dangerous environments, but I still would be opposed to things like **** tests. If a CTA driver goes to a BBQ over the weekend and drinks some beers and smokes a joint I don't think they should be fired. If they show up on the job drunk, high, or hungover that's definitely a different matter.
I think what you illustrated is what I'm trying to get at. Live and let live is what I feel. Just keep it professional and safe when you're on the job.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I can understand blood tests for people operating heavy machinery or working in dangerous environments, but I still would be opposed to things like **** tests. If a CTA driver goes to a BBQ over the weekend and drinks some beers and smokes a joint I don't think they should be fired. If they show up on the job drunk, high, or hungover that's definitely a different matter. I believe the CTA motorman who ran off the rails in the Loop in the 70's was high at the time.
And this is the problem with drug tests/the reality they create:

less harmful drugs like marijuana stay in your system for WEEKS, while drugs like coke are gone almost over night.

why do I know this, you might ask? because in stories featuring coked-to-the-gills pro athletes doing stupid things (which always makes the news), this logic has been expressed for decades.

so if you want more people doing coke instead of smoking a joint, drug tests will accomplish that goal.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Not disappointed at all at those articles. I could repeat what's been said already, but I'll just say that I pretty much agree with all of it. Especially the part about it costing the city a bunch of money, and some crook getting paid too much to administer the tests.

edit: I also was going to comment about the marijuana in your system for 30 days, vs. coke/heroin in your system for 3. This would punish somebody who maybe had their friend smoke a blunt with them once or twice, whereas the crackheads and junkies will find a way to evade the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: