Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times

Advertisements

CBS Report: Top 10 Dirtiest Beaches in America

Illinois
# 9 Lake County: North Point Marina North Beach. CBS pointed out this is the largest marina on any Great Lake.

Wisconsin:
#10 Kenosha County: Echelman Beach
# *6 Milwaukee County: South Shore Beach

Top 10 dirtiest beaches in America*Pictures - CBS News

Judging from some of comment in the side bar, I'm not convinced this is NOT one of those "if it bleeds it leads" articles used to drive advertising dollars, and I will tell you why.

I spent the better part of eleven years living at a marina with more than 50 sailboats in the water year round. And I've lived near a very large river. I've seen what weather can do; I've seen what birds can do, and I've seen what people can do. There are certain things that cannot be controlled.

Bird poop is a common where water and land or water and boats meet. So is run-off from torrential rains. This is as common as leaves in scuppers, and fishing line in propellers. People who own boats do incredibly stupid things. Not all, but certainly more than a few.

Is this a problem on beaches? Certainly it is is. Is it as big a problem as it is made out to be in this article? Probably not. It may be more of a problem in some areas and less in others.

The captain is responsible for his ship. If his guests are throwing trash in the water, he should toss the guest overboard and stow the trash until he is back in port. Lose items fly off in high winds. It is hard to say where it will end up. Don't keep it on the top deck; stow it.

Is a beach where people congregate any less healthy than it was 50 years ago? I doubt it. I came home with Hepatitis after spending most of my summer on a public lake in Minneapolis. I personally think it is a craps shoot to swim in lake, river or ocean where the public congregates. A private beach may or may not afford any better protection.

There are too many natural elements that can affect any body of water to be making rash statements about the health of America's beaches. On the other hand communities that love their beaches could do a better job of policing the shorlines and testing the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,982,654 times
Gee I wonder why? Liberals care about being green but when they dump raw sewage in the Chicago river or Lake Michigan in Milwaukee then it's nothing to see here.

MMSD Reports Overflows of More Than 170 Million Gallons - Wauwatosa, WI Patch

MMSD dumping sewage after storms - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather

MMSD released sewage dump numbers - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather

MMSD Dumps 2.1 Billion Gallons of Wastewater - 620 WTMJ - Milwaukee's Source for Local News and Weather

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM

YouTube - ‪MMSD Says 2.1 Billion Gallons Of Sewage And Storm Water Dumped Into Area Rivers And Lakes‬‏

Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
Why is this thread in the Chicago forum if the beaches mentioned are not in Chicago? MOD EDIT

Last edited by linicx; 06-30-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM

I can think of several reasons. Lake County is not downstate. Chicago and Lake County share the same Great Lake with Indiana and Michigan. Chicagoans*might be concerned if polution from Lake County drifts onto Chicago Beaches and vice-versa.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,398,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Gee I wonder why? Liberals care about being green but when they dump raw sewage in the Chicago river or Lake Michigan in Milwaukee then it's nothing to see here.
Those "liberals" down in Chicago built huge reservoirs at tremendous expense (roughly $40 billion and counting now) to keep runoff away from the Lake. Granted, Deep Tunnel is still not even completed, but it has helped. Wanna know what the real problem is? the less liberal suburban areas within the Lake watershed. Per person, those areas are harder to contain: more surface parking lots per person = more runoff = more pollution per person.

If those "liberals" in urban planning had their way, Chicagoland would be more consistently dense (15K to 20K per square mile), would have a smaller developed footprint, would have less surface parking (ie, less runoff) , more transit (which = less oil residue on roads, ie, less polluted runoff), would encourage more use of semi-permeable surfaces to help the gournd naturally retain the water (see: Chicago alley project) and more pollution would be kept out of the lake.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM

You are in the Chicago Forum. Take your issues to the Governor you elected. Don't swim in the lake or eat the fish; don't worry.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,521,865 times
That is a really nasty picture.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 AM

You do know that properly treated wastewater has been returned to homes as drinking water for at least 35-years?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
That is a really nasty picture.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You do know that properly treated wastewater has been returned to homes as drinking water for at least 35-years?.
So what about all the beach closings and e coli outbreaks and the limits put on for eating fish that come from lake Michigan? We can put a man on the moon and the whole Beatles catalog on a computer chip but we can't figure out how to keep pollution from entering our lakes and rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago