U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 21,461 times

Advertisements

Hello. How long can i be sitting in the car, in the night ? Just sitting: reading, drinking coffee etc. Can i sit in mini van for long time, for example - all night ?
Exist item about it in the laws of Illinois ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM

4,620 posts, read 7,634,333 times
I've known people who have lived out of their cars for months before, although I don't really recommend it. Safer areas have more parking restrictions and residents who are more likely to call the police to investigate someone as "suspicious" for sitting in a car overnight. In more dangerous areas, it's not the police you'd have to worry about so much, although in the worst of areas any policeman who saw you might caution you to move along for your own good.

It's really not recommended that you sleep in your car in Chicago.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,547,071 times
There is no law against it, but people will call the police on you in both safe areas and unsafe areas. In both areas people may suspect that you are a child abductor, drug dealer ect. Sitting in your car makes you a very good target for being robbed. If you are going to do this while traveling do so at one of the Oasis’s.

If you are about to be homeless, chicago parking laws will make your car will be more trouble than it is worth.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 14,199,941 times
Michael Jordan's Dad died when he slept in his car, maybe in a bad neighborhood? Don't sleep in areas with permit parking. It's best to sleep in a 24hr Walmart parking lot, RV'rs do that. When I was doing a cheap vacation I'd sleep in my minivan in a Walmart, but at night noise comes out from the parking lot cleaning truck.

Why are you homeless sleeping in your car?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 7,261,743 times
Its not recommended. If you are clever and a light sleeper I bet you can get away with it. Especially if you know the city. YOu could go to fast food restaurants and order a drink and sit in your car and pretend to be drinking it. Whoops, you fell asleep. Let's hope its a safe area you are in.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,375,277 times
I watched an episode of MTV True Life that showed a girl living in her car in the Chicago area. She used public park restrooms to clean up every morning. She was also a dominatrix.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 PM

121 posts, read 322,659 times

Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 PM

4,112 posts, read 7,261,743 times
Not necessarily. Some are homeless. Believe me I've thought about places to sleep in my car many many times as I get very tired in the afternoons and like to take a little nap. If I'm in the city I'd love to catch a few winks before driving back to the burbs but I usually don't dare do so. I'd only want a short nap not actually stay overnight in the car.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM

2,298 posts, read 5,883,648 times
I spend most afternoons napping in my car at the parking lot of a Target near my office. It is in the suburbs though, and surprisingly popular with people looking for a relatively quiet place to sleep, eat or read at lunchtime.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,899,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I spend most afternoons napping in my car at the parking lot of a Target near my office. It is in the suburbs though, and surprisingly popular with people looking for a relatively quiet place to sleep, eat or read at lunchtime.
Thats funny, if I'm very tired at work (I work in the Loop), I go to a Starbucks and nap/sleep there, and I'm not alone, somtimes theres 3-4 of us all sleeping, and Starbucks employees just let us. I always buy a drink though, the price of renting a comfy chair for 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago