Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM

103 posts, read 225,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
You most likely will not get a 1 bedroom of any size with central air and a washer/dryer hookup for $1200 or less anywhere in the city. Sorry to break the news to you.
I think it is definitely doable. I know a couple who live in river west in a very nice 2 bedroom, with ac and in unit washer dryer and they are paying $1400.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM

103 posts, read 225,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Are on-site washers and dryers common in Chicago? Every apartment I've ever looked at has had a washer and dryer in the basement, but that could just be a coincidence. And there are laundromats everywhere, so I'm wondering how common on-site laundry actually is.
I would say, from my experience, a washer and dryer somewhere in the building would be about 90%.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
It can be challenging finding a w/d in the actual apartment for 1200 in one of the fun areas such as East Lakeview or Lincoln Park. The w/d is going to be your challenge. If you are willing to have a laundry room in the building, but not in your actual apartment, you will have much better luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
I think it is definitely doable. I know a couple who live in river west in a very nice 2 bedroom, with ac and in unit washer dryer and they are paying $1400.
The OP stated $1200 or less and I said it is unlikely.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 PM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTheman88 View Post
I would say, from my experience, a washer and dryer somewhere in the building would be about 90%.
And your experience is what? Living in the city 6 months?

I would say it is somewhere under 75% and over 50%. Where it is exactly I do not know.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
I don't get why having a W/D in your apartment is such a HUGE deal. If it's in the building isn't that all that really counts? You usually end up paying far more to have it in the apartment as a featured amenity than what you would pay simply to schlep your clothes to the basement a few times a week. Call me old-school, but I hang dry my clothes and keep the extra money in the bank. It saves me about $250 per year. I can't even imagine how much I save compared to someone who has it in their unit. And $1200 will get you something decent if you look hard enough. Just get used to the fact that city life is different. Even when I was in the middle of Manhattan we considered a W/D something for the rich. Hell, you were lucky if you even had it in your building! Most of us had to walk to the laundromat down the block. Some people even had to walk several blocks. If you cannot walk downstairs to do your wash then yes, you are indeed spoiled and I question how well you'd adapt to city living.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 AM

126 posts, read 207,892 times
Quote:
I don't get why having a W/D in your apartment is such a HUGE deal. If it's in the building isn't that all that really counts? You usually end up paying far more to have it in the apartment as a featured amenity than what you would pay simply to schlep your clothes to the basement a few times a week.
If it's in the basement, you usually have to have correct change to do laundry.

People do steal clothes, or empty dryers so they can dry their clothes with your dollar.

In the basement, you're limited to doing laundry when no one else is using the machines, or only during certain hours.

And personally, I don't really want to wash my clothes in the same washer that someone else just used to clean work clothes from an auto shop. Or clean up the sheets their kid just barfed on. Or the dryer after the previous user forgot a tube of lipstick in her jeans pocket.

I admit I was a little ashamed of myself for being so excited when we got our own washer and dryer. Now I wouldn't want to live without them. I'm hoping I will have them next year when I move to Chicago.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Having a W/D in-unit has always been a must for me. I grew up in Manhattan and all growing up remember my mother dragging me to the laundrymat, I HATED it, and will never do that again. Both of my apartments I had in NYC had in unit laundry and my current place in Chicago does too. I would not want to share with W/D with other people in a common place in the basement either; Im an only child, I dont like sharing

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
We have an in-unit WD but always use the laundry room in our building instead. There are a dozen washers and driers for 31 units, I'm always able to get my whole load done in one swoop.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
We had a W/D in our Chicago apartment and I loved it. Add to Jahk's list having to carry a heavy hamper down icy stairs all damn winter.

Here in KC we don't have a W/D in unit and the one in our building barely works, so we would go to the Laundromat. Recently we've been doing drop-off service, which like changed my life. And it's only $1.05 a pound. Totally worth it. Except for I still run a load of my delicates. I don't like the thought of someone having to fold my underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago