Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 AM

49 posts, read 275,118 times

Advertisements

I'm from the northside, and to be very truthful, I've never been to the southside, so I know nothing at all about the areas. I always hear people talking about "South Side Irish," and it seems like they are referring to entire areas or neighborhoods. Which neighborhoods are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,734,490 times
Beverly and Mt. Greenwood are the classic examples.

They are neighborhoods within the City of Chicago. The epicenter is about 107th & Western. The South Side Irish Parade goes straight down Western Avenue, starting at ~99th and ends at ~115th.

Going East about a mile (and somewhat northwards to at least 95th Street) is Beverly. It gorgeous older -often historically preserved-- homes, and was traditionally where many judges, doctors and other professional lived on the south side.

Going West about a mile and a little southwards (to 119th Street) is Mt. Greenwood. This is where all the firefighters and police officers live.

Nestled at about 103rd & Kedzie is a separate city, Evergreen Park, which has a strong Irish contingent as well.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
A lot of Morgan Park is also part of the "South Side Irish" area, as is a good chunk of the suburb of Oak Lawn.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 PM

204 posts, read 757,550 times
Dont forget Canaryville and Bridgeport by Comisky Park

Old 08-09-2007, 06:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
While those areas do have a substantial Irish contingent, they are not part of the much larger and contiguous "South Side Irish" area which is way further south.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,734,490 times
Although the Morgan Park Irish are going to say they're from Beverly anyway!
(Just kidding -- I love M.P.!)

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 60,218 times
Default Chicago Irish!!!

From all that I can gather Evergreen Park, which rests just north of the city, is quite Irish, at roughly 39% of its population--

((though well behind this very GREEN and Irish contingent of towns that reside just south of Boston and Quincy, all of which are comfortably nestled within the South Shore of Massachusetts, and all of which are at least 40%-47% Irish, with 8 in all, as they include--Scituate at # 1, than Braintree, Hull, Milton, Marshfield, Canton, Weymouth, Holbrooke, and Avon!))

Though I wouldn't go so far as to characterize Chicago as this Irish city, not anymore. For the last I checked it stands at only 8% Irish, well behind Boston ((at 16-17%!)), Philadelphia ((at 12-13%!)), Quincy, Massachusetts ((at 34-35%!)), Weymouth, Massachusetts ((at 39-40%!)) and Scranton, Pennsylvania ((at 30%!)).

For those are truly Irish cities, while Boston and Quincy boast this large number of Irish immigrants ((both legal and illegal!)), and this rich tradition steeped quite deeply in Irish culture, lore, pubs, stores and gathering spots unmatched in the entire nation ((especially the Dorchester neighborhood in Boston!))!

Though I would have to say, from all that I can gather, that both Beverly and Bridgeport are Chicago's premier Irish neighborhoods, also very steeped and soaked in Great, lively and vibrant Irish tradition and culture, AND BOTH neighborhoods are reputed to be relatively safe, clean, fun, happening and modestly cosmopolitan in this manner that doesn't terribly dilute, diminish or obscure the more genuine and proud working class Irish aspects of each renowned neighborhood! GREAT city!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While those areas do have a substantial Irish contingent, they are not part of the much larger and contiguous "South Side Irish" area which is way further south.
True. Bridgeport and Canaryville are like historic holdouts from a past era when that WAS the South Side Irish area. Like all ethnic groups, there is usually a pattern where many people of the same neighborhood move out to the same greener pastures.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

178 posts, read 368,277 times
I think that Bridgeport is only 30-35% white these days......with a decent size Hispanic population and a large Asian spillover from Chinatown/Armour Square. Also, I would wager a decent number of the whites there are Italian as well. Beverly is still probably 60% white and it would be fair to guess that most of those folk are Irish. The eastern edge of Beverly does have a good-size black population.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
I think that Bridgeport is only 30-35% white these days......with a decent size Hispanic population and a large Asian spillover from Chinatown/Armour Square. Also, I would wager a decent number of the whites there are Italian as well. Beverly is still probably 60% white and it would be fair to guess that most of those folk are Irish. The eastern edge of Beverly does have a good-size black population.
True on both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago