Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
It's something that's happening all over, not just Chicago, but also in London and NY, what were former more unique luxury retail zones are being taken over by stores like H&M, Forever 21, Victoria's Secret, Zara, Top Shop, Best Buy and All Saints, among others.

That may not mean anything to you but I guess one way to look at it would be to imagine if Wal Mart took over the first few floors of the Hancock Tower.

The worry, to the degree there is one, is that there becomes little to differentiate it between your average mall.
Where this building is, doesnt it have many people that live near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
It's something that's happening all over, not just Chicago, but also in London and NY, what were former more unique luxury retail zones
Michigan Avenue is hardly exclusive. Giant shoving hordes of tourists and suburbanites are not exactly lucrative as far as "unique luxury" shops -- many of them also chains! -- are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The building in question is not on Michigan Avenue. And I don't know what the fuss is. They occupy the building, so I can't think of a single reason why they shouldn't be able to put their own logo on it.
As I read the article, they are putting their logo *inside* the building, within the interior space. I'm surprised such a matter is regulated at all; it's akin to asking for city approval to hang curtains.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Chicago shopping compared to NY and especially London is nothing special and it never will be.

The point is that when a bunch of discount brands dominate your flagship shopping district it begins to lose its cache. When it loses its cache, people stop seeing value in it.

Like I said, it's happening everywhere, and probably inevitable, and we all obviously have bigger problems. But it does cheapen it.

It's like knocking out nice restaurants and putting in hamburger joints.

It just begins to look stupider and stupider until it's finally like any suburban strip mall.
Life still remains in the city & thats a good thing.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Because I'm saying I don't think Chicago shopping is even that great to begin with. It's OK. The concern is more with our flagship street being dominated by tawdry mega-discount brands than if we do/do not have a Coach store a block or two off Michigan Avenue.

However, like I said earlier, it's happening everywhere, everyone has bigger problems, and there isn't a lot you can do about it.

But there is the specter of fear that it will end up like the movie "Idiocracy" where Carl's Jr. is sponsoring everything everywhere...the Wal Mart-Hancock Tower etc.
What US cities have better shopping other than LA and NYC?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Yes, obviously corporations name buildings. The Wal Mart reference was used to illustrate a giant down-market super chain. You may not care about retail shopping. I'm not saying I can afford Bond Street in London either. But having giant H&M, Victoria's Secret and Forever 21 become the dominant flagship stores on Michigan Avenue is the equivalent of having Arby's, McDonald's and Burger King build giant, five-floor super stores on Mi Ave.

I don't really care. I'm not going to launch a crusade to get Bergdorf Goodman to open a flagship store on Mi Ave. Just an observation.
What exactly do you propose? We've been in a downturn for several years. People don't have the cash to throw around at designer goods the way they once might have. Also, theres nothing special about a luxury brand chain store, its still something you could find in any upscale mall in America. The only time Michigan Ave was unique was when there were many local businesses, those days passed long ago. Would I like to see a return to that? Sure. But it won't be happening with rents as high as they are. Local proprietors can't afford that kind of real estate.

Furthermore, this is a part of the city that has seen its residential population increase over the past decade, and simple conveniences like grocery stores, etc. haven't kept up. This isn't marketed at out of town tourists, its there for the residential population, which I have no problem with. The building was vacant, now it has a tenant which will preserve much of its architectural integrity. It will return to the tax rolls and increase foot traffic in the area. What exactly is the problem here other than snobbery?

Finally, the Carson building is on State, not Michigan.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What US cities have better shopping other than LA and NYC?

I don't know but I never have trouble finding a Redwing store around Chicago. And Blue Collar Supply in Lansing is THE place nationwide for work clothes, hot-mill and Flex-O gloves, Bridge hats, sleever bars and spud wrenches.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
I obviously, if you follow the thread, segued from Target to MI Ave long ago.

To answer the other poster, I don't know about LA. Shopping in London makes Chicago look like Green Bay. I've heard NY is the same.

Again, I don't really know how else to express my point. It was a minor point. No, I don't think Target moving into such an iconic building is anything to be jumping up and down about, but obviously given the realities of the market, it is what it is.

I am fine agreeing to disagree.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I obviously, if you follow the thread, segued from Target to MI Ave long ago.

To answer the other poster, I don't know about LA. Shopping in London makes Chicago look like Green Bay. I've heard NY is the same.

Again, I don't really know how else to express my point. It was a minor point. No, I don't think Target moving into such an iconic building is anything to be jumping up and down about, but obviously given the realities of the market, it is what it is.

I am fine agreeing to disagree.
That's fine, I think my point is that shopping in Chicago is probably better than 95% of America.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlajos View Post
that's fine, i think my point is that shopping in chicago is probably better than 95% of america.
99.9%

Old 07-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
99.9%
I was trying to be conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago