Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Maybe they ought to rezone some vacant areas for acre lots. Could attract some executives from such horsy areas as Hawthorn Woods and Barrington Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
There are so many factors to consider. For one thing, the newer type of "city person" tends to have a much smaller household size than previous types. So that's a loss in population without any loss in occupancy (or wealth). The list goes on and on.
Even before the current wave of gentrification, take a look at the 1930-1990 population change for West Town -- i.e., Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Noble Square, and other thriving neighborhoods:
West Town

It is a Good Thing that families of 10 are no longer crowded into two-bedroom apartments. The new, smaller population requires fewer churches, fewer schools, and fewer corner grocery stores, but in other ways today's city people consume more of certain public goods that the previous population needed less off -- parks and bars and shops and restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't understand this bizarre fantasy that higher gas prices are going to force a reverse mass exodus from the suburbs back to the city.
1. City people drive less in total. Even if a city dweller drives for every single trip, those trips are shorter and thus fewer miles driven. Furthermore, work trips are less than 1/4 of trips, and if someone can walk to the grocery/library/cleaners that's a substantial number of trips saved.

2. The center of all job locations in the region is probably somewhere around O'Hare. For dual income couples trying to find a location convenient (or equally inconvenient) for both commutes, central locations beat out peripheral locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Maybe we ought to find out what nationality has the highest birth rates and go place Chicago advertising there ... lol
Interestingly, that won't be Mexico -- soon, its fertility rate will be lower than the USA's.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Even before the current wave of gentrification, take a look at the 1930-1990 population change for West Town -- i.e., Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Noble Square, and other thriving neighborhoods:
West Town

It is a Good Thing that families of 10 are no longer crowded into two-bedroom apartments. The new, smaller population requires fewer churches, fewer schools, and fewer corner grocery stores, but in other ways today's city people consume more of certain public goods that the previous population needed less off -- parks and bars and shops and restaurants.

1. City people drive less in total. Even if a city dweller drives for every single trip, those trips are shorter and thus fewer miles driven. Furthermore, work trips are less than 1/4 of trips, and if someone can walk to the grocery/library/cleaners that's a substantial number of trips saved.

2. The center of all job locations in the region is probably somewhere around O'Hare. For dual income couples trying to find a location convenient (or equally inconvenient) for both commutes, central locations beat out peripheral locations.

Interestingly, that won't be Mexico -- soon, its fertility rate will be lower than the USA's.
You're a planner/planning student, aren't you?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Then let me copy-and-paste my very easy-to-read and easy-to-understand summary:

"There was no mass exodus to the suburbs or anywhere else."

My claim was that the result of north side gentrification is that it gained population. You disagreed. The census data, for what it's worth, supports my position.

That is all.
I didn't say the north side didn't gain population, I said that many people leave the north side for the burbs, but few move to the south & west side.

The census data describing the total population of the north side (especially lumping in downtown) in aggregate is 100% irrelevant to my point & the topic here, which was what will it take to re-populate the south & west sides.

Now, whether the amount of folks who left the north side over the past 10 or 20 years qualifies as a "mass exodus" is certainly a fair question for debate - I would absolutely say massive numbers of people left the north side for the burbs, the census data simply shows what we all anecdotally know, which is that huge numbers of people continue to move to the north side on an annual basis.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I didn't say the north side didn't gain population, I said that many people leave the north side for the burbs, but few move to the south & west side.

The census data describing the total population of the north side (especially lumping in downtown) in aggregate is 100% irrelevant to my point & the topic here, which was what will it take to re-populate the south & west sides.

Now, whether the amount of folks who left the north side over the past 10 or 20 years qualifies as a "mass exodus" is certainly a fair question for debate - I would absolutely say massive numbers of people left the north side for the burbs, the census data simply shows what we all anecdotally know, which is that huge numbers of people continue to move to the north side on an annual basis.
Maybe, but than a more massive group moved into the north side because it gained population.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,426 times
Quote:
As an outsider, it seems that many of the North Side neighborhoods (mainly along the Lake), are a place where fresh out of college to early 30's crowd moves, then heads back to where they came from. It is nothing more than a cycle, and in some years, more will move in than move out and in others the opposite happens. Much of the North Side seems to have a fairly stable population, with no big spikes either way. I would relate it to many neighborhoods in Manhattan where people with families start heading to Jersey, Long Island or Westchester and they are replaced with the new breed of people coming in thinking they will "make it". I truly believe rent control keeps the population in New York a bit more steady (along with immigration), as people tend not to move as much as I have seen in Chicago.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
I think we have seen a trend in recent years for more families with kids staying in the City. Look at Northside CPS school enrollment. It has been increasing at a decent clip, while schools on the southside have had losses. Hispanic neighborhoods have seen huge increases in students as well.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
I didn't say the north side didn't gain population
You said exactly that.

Quote:
Those populations didn't climb as far as I remember seeing - most studies I've seen suggest larger families with kids were replaced by single folks and DINKs in many cases.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You said exactly that.
A 25,000 increase for the entire north side is negligible in a conversation that began with someone hypothesizing what it would take to get over 2 MILLION people into Chicago.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Maybe, but than a more massive group moved into the north side because it gained population.
Sure, that's exactly what I said. But the point that is relevant to the OP is that no matter how populated the north side gets, it doesn't seem to be spilling over to the west and south sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago