Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In an hour or so, I'm going to get dressed and drive to work. In doing so, I will be adding countless hyrocarbons into the atmosphere. So I may have spoken lofty ideas here, but quite frankly I'm still part of the problem and not the solution. How about you?
Go see the movie "Revenge of the Electric Car" it will be playing at the Siskel Center starting in a week or so - get a solar charging station and POOF, problem solved.

Chicago has loads and loads of underutilized solar collecting space on garage roofs - this is the future, bank on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
In an hour or so, I'm going to get dressed and drive to work. In doing so, I will be adding countless hyrocarbons into the atmosphere. So I may have spoken lofty ideas here, but quite frankly I'm still part of the problem and not the solution. How about you?
I walked to work ...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
But what does that 2.7 million tell us?

New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago are the nation's three largest cities. But NY and LA differ from Chicago in significant ways.

Chicago is the most traditional city of the three in terms of how we see a municipality. NY and LA are more like urban regions than traditional cities.

Everyone who lives in Chicago has a Chicago address. In New York, your address may be Brooklyn or Astoria. In LA, it might be Brentwood or Encino.

Chicago is one. Both NY and LA are plural. The New York that was Manhattan consolidated in one step with four adjacent counties that became boroughs; none was connected to it by land. LA used water rights to acquire the San Fernando Valley, much of the westside, and down to the harbor in San Pedro.

What does that mean? In NY and LA, many moves that puts you in the periphery of those cities puts you within city limits. In Chicago, it puts you in suburbia. Yes, Chicago is smaller. But significantly Chicagoland is much larger than it once was. And Chicagoland has true meaning; Chicago means little more than where you get your water, your garbage collected, and your streets cleaned. Chicagoland is the organic one, a metropolitan area that functions as an economic unit, not a line drawn on a map. Does it matter which side of Howard Street....Chicago or Evanston....that you live? No.

San Francisco is one of the world's greatest cities. It is the 4th largest city in California. Within the Bay Area, is comes in 2nd to San Jose. So what? The Bay Area is a huge, exceedingly important, major, major metro. SF is its core. That SF has 800,000 people is irrelevant. Small city; major metro......but the metro, the Bay Area, keeps San Francisco great.

Same with Boston, a fraction of Houston's size, again a small city in a large metro. Houston swallowed up all the land around it. Suburbs tend to be within city limits. The very Houston that seems somehow to scare Chicagoans with its "challenge" to its vaunted #3 size is no bigger than D/FW in its own state when you look at metro population.

Following WWII, Chicago's core underwent an extraordinary period of explosive growth as downtown changed into a lifestyle center that more approached the 24/7 many dream about. The Loop became a Super Loop. The timing was right for this to happen. And the conditions of the city were favorable. Chicago's downtown area was surrounded by rail lines that could be turned to redevelopment without mass eviction, an almost gift of real estate to the city.

Flash forward to today. Chicago's population drop that has occurred mostly in poorer areas of the South and West sides leaves land open for redevelopment. Now if this were Detroit, sadly that redevelopment would unlikely take place. Empty land in that city, based on what has become of it, just doesn't contain the value.

But Chicago has a grand center to it, a job and lifestyle cash cow. And the timing is right for the areas that have fallen into disrepair to be redeveloped. The very automobile that drove us on the expressways it built to suburbia has become some expensive to use and trapped us in endless traffic to became a negative. Chicago's growth in the last 30 or so years has been among the wealthiest of its people as gentrification expanded the core and emcompassed much of the North Side.

But the new growth that will likely be a part of our new era will be different. It will be more middle class, more working families who will seek housing that is affordable on the West and Side sides that gives them economical public transportation to jobs that are conveniently located, many of which of course will be downtown. The West and South sides are the coming cure for endless sprawl and the dreams of suburbia that turned into nightmeres.

Without the very "underpopulation" that seems to have people worried, this could never happen. ANd it can't happen until the timing is right, when organically the growth takes place. IMHO, that timing is now.
great post!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I walked to work ...
But did you exhale anything deadly?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
But did you exhale anything deadly?
isn't that a question one is supposed to ask Bill Clinton?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM

410 posts, read 491,822 times
Quote:
isn't that a question one is supposed to ask Bill Clinton?
No, Al Gore.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
No, Al Gore.
touche

Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 12,174 times
I visit downtown very often.. probably around 5 times a year AT LEAST, and from what I can tell, the city is far from underpopulated. But that's just me. I always have to wait because everything is so crowded and such.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
If your in the loop the change is not noticeable.
South and far South sides along with the West sides its visible.

One cant help but notice the boarded up homes.

Seems the areas will transform into healthy neighborhoods again.

The burbs that flourished in the 80's adn 90's will be less desirable with the rising cost of fuel. Matter of time and timing.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
If your in the loop the change is not noticeable.
South and far South sides along with the West sides its visible.

One cant help but notice the boarded up homes.

Seems the areas will transform into healthy neighborhoods again.

The burbs that flourished in the 80's adn 90's will be less desirable with the rising cost of fuel. Matter of time and timing.
Most people who come to this conculsion about the future do not factor in the possibility of improved technology/ alternate fuel sources. I honestly do not forsee our nation turning it's back on all of the investment we have made over the past century in roadway infastructure. Car companies are producing more efficient cars and working on cars that run on alternative fuels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago