Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,076 times

Advertisements

I can't tell if I'm being cautious or paranoid so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I will be going to graduate school in the loop and decided a place in bucktown would be good with access on the blue line and nice places to hang out on the weekend. I'm not really that much into night life but I do like to hang out in a coffee shop during the day and I love used bookstores.

I ended up checking everything out and getting a lease for a place on Hermitage just north of Wabansia. I looked at spotcrime.com, etc, and decided walking down North Avenue and then up a couple blocks couldn't be too bad.

Then, while I was excitedly looking at everything online for the neighborhood out I stumbled upon everyblock.com and when I typed in my address saw a several muggings right in that area in the last couple weeks. I was kind of surprised. These weren't like 3am muggings either, some of them were around 11PM or so. Not THAT late.

My question is this: I will necessarily be taking some night classes and walking around with a bag that pretty clearly has my laptop in it around 10PM or so on one or more weekdays. Should I be worried? Am I crazy? One of my "street smart" (which I admittedly don't have much of as I've lived the last 6 years in a safe college town) rules is not to be wearing or showing anything too conspicuous that would make you an ideal candidate to rob. Hence my worry with the bag.

I know I'm likely to get some eye rolling here because Bucktown is relatively gentrified and I have seen for myself how many yuppies there are in the area, but these muggings have me slightly worried now.

Am I crazy? Totally justified?

Thanks for any opinions. I've searched through the forum quite a bit but didn't see anything addressing this time/area specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM

491 posts, read 1,116,383 times
I wouldn't think, generally, you'd have much of a problem at all around there.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM

63 posts, read 139,741 times
You're being paranoid. That area is yuppie central why are you worried?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,140,868 times
That stuff happens in all parts of the city.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,050,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
This. I looked at my area on Everyblock and was pretty surprised. But if you look at it in terms how many crimes happen v how many people are around it's really nothing crazy.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
And outside the city as well. My brother in law had his laptop stolen in a smash and grab at a gas station in Carmel IN. After nearly 20 years of walking around the near Northwest side at all hours I've never been mugged.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,562,419 times
Wicker Park is the only place i've ever encountered trouble but it is certainly no indictment on the areas safety. I'm sure riff raff from Humbolt or western Logan heads down there for easy prey now and then, but the same can be said for just about any neighborhood.

491 posts, read 1,116,383 times
Yeah the muggings actually surprise me for that neighborhood. There is crime all over...it's a little different having someone steal your purse or get pickpocketed, though, than have a gun shoved in your face.

14,800 posts, read 17,575,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
And outside the city as well. My brother in law had his laptop stolen in a smash and grab at a gas station in Carmel IN. After nearly 20 years of walking around the near Northwest side at all hours I've never been mugged.
Yep, I've never been mugged in the 20 years I've lived here. Don't know anyone who has been either.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,012,382 times
Use you're brain when walking around. Don't "look" like an easy target. Try to stay in well lit areas. Try to walk with or near others.
It's a big city and there are bound to be some people with bad intentions everywhere but just like any cowardly criminal, they are looking for easy targets so try not to appear as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: