Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 AM

86 posts, read 126,923 times

Advertisements

I don't live in the US but of the American cities I hear most about Chicago rates about 7th on the list. I hear about Boston, Philly, San Fran, Houston, Atlanta more. As the third largest city in the US I am kind of surprised that I don't hear about it more. Every time I do hear about it, everything I hear about it, doesn't really seem interesting to me. I think the architecture is neat, but I am not familiar with any artistic vibe in Chicago that rivals other cities. I'm also not familiar with whether or not Chicago has great food culture like other American cities. It seems aesthetically pleasing, but I don't get any other impression by it. When I hear "Chicago" i think "city in the midwest" and not much else.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
You seriously hear about Atlanta and Houston more than Chicago? Talk about boring cities.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Chicago has the most stuff to do after NYC.

I'm not sure what you heard was interesting about Atlanta, Houston or Philly...

Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I think you are on the wrong track. I don't know what rating you are citing but Chicago in my opinion ranks higher than any of the other cities you mention except for NYC, and of course some would argue LA. Atlanta and Houston, forget it, Boston I would say ranks high in culture as well and San Francisco, Philly....not as much as Boston and SF. Chicago is a top food city. I am not sure what you read or where you get your info but its not well informed in my opinion. The art institute of Chicago has been named the number 1 museum in the world (a bit of an overstatement as much as I love it), the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is acknowledged to be one of the greatest in the world, the food scene here is unbelievable. Many artists and musicians, home to the Blues....I am not sure what planet you are on. Maybe you need to read something else. On the other hand, if you are not interested in Chicago, don't bother coming...visit NYC or LA instead.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
If we are seventh best, then why was Perfect Strangers based in Chicago?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Chicago boring? If you can't find stuff to do in Chicago then you're probably boring yourself. I spend a lot of time in NYC and Chicago both, and used to visit LA at least once a year - Chicago is in no way boring.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:14 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Chicago is rarely 7th on lists comparing cities. It's usually between 3-5. Obviously whether you like a particular city is subjective, but overall Chicago gets ranked high by many people. The weather and the crime reputation from the media usually knock it down a little, but even then it's still usually always at least in the top 5.

Despite ranking, I've never heard Chicago described as boring. I've also never seen it ranked below Atlanta or Houston (and usually not Philly or Boston either- although more people seem to have an east-coast city preference which can sometimes sway in those cities favor).

Last edited by personone; 12-20-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago is rarely 7th on lists comparing cities. It's usually between 3-5. Obviously whether you like a particular city is subjective, but overall Chicago gets ranked high by many people. The weather and the crime reputation from the media usually knock it down a little, but even then it's still usually always at least in the top 5.

Despite ranking, I've never heard Chicago described as boring. I've also never seen it ranked below Atlanta or Houston (and usually not Philly or Boston either- although more people seem to have an east-coast city preference which can sometimes sway in those cities favor).
Good post:

My ranking fits yours:

NYC and LA are on top. (although some are turned off by LAs multicentered urban geography).

Chicago is about neck in neck with SF and DC (Chicago obviously is bigger, but Chicagos relative isolation from other cities and the fact that the city has a large chunk or swath of the city that is "dead weight" that holds the city back and just adds land area/population, that make it on par. (metro area of DC and SF comparable to Chicagoland, because of adjacent cities)

Then comes Boston and Philly, although CLEARLY smaller with less to do, case can be made due to urban density, history, educational institutions, and proximity to NYC.

After that: the large southern cities. Although more "boring and suburban" do have their southern conservative culture watered down by transplants from everywhere and do make a case for cities that have a melting pot of people from everywhere, a strong economy, and a cheaper cost of living than all the above mentioned.

Personally though, this OP does seem a little suspicious.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
NYC
CHICAGO
LA

LA is so spread out that perhaps when talking about it we should include a bordered area. Just don't see LA having more to do than Chicago

Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Anything that ranks Atlanta, Houston and Philadelphia (a city I like, the first two suck) higher than Chicago is worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago