Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Traditionally this problem has been handled in Chicago by flooding problem areas with police for a period of time. With all the publicity around this, I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet.
Very true! And actually that is what is being done now, and it is having a positive effect. But, we need even more police to show up and kick the tough guy's buttes pretty hard to make sure they stay away for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Not entirely fair. It's not like white people suddenly, charitably decide to make space for gay neighborhoods either. Typically a gay area develops in a diverse environment, often immigrant, and the infusion of street life spurs gentrification which makes an area whiter. Basically, if Lakeview is anything like your typical gay enclave, it's safe to say to that it was gay before it was white.

Also, those of us who have spent significant time among gay crowds can attest to the diversity. I'm sure there has always been a good number of black men in Boystown; it's uninformed to suggest that they just starting showing up this year.
Yes, blacks have always been here and are always welcomed; what is new are 25 year old black gang bangers that show up and beat the crap out of white gay men, threaten you if you dont make your girlfriend show him her "tidays", start massive brawls on the street, etc. This is a whole new element who were showing up and basically committing attempted murder right in the middle of what is supposed to be a "safe zone" for gays.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Nope, a good portion of East Lake View was white and middle class with a bit of "diversity" until a large number of gays came in.
Yes, East LV was actually a jewish nieghborhood at one time, IIRC correctly, until WWII. After the war until the mid-80's, it was a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, akin to Uptown today, with the safer areas being east of broadway (nearer to the lake) and generally having higher blight/crime in other patches.

But as the gheys became priced out of Old Town and Lincoln Park, they began to find lower rents in LV, and during the 90's, Boystown really kicked into high gear. During that time, and during the Aughties, urban living kicked in and LV became fully gentrified.

It is interesting to note that the gheys have been moved further and further north, starting with the area around the Water Tower in the 1930, moving up thru the River North Skid Row, Old Town, LP, to LV, and even now have been moving further north, to cheaper rents in Andersonville.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
It amuses me when people assume an urban city to be some utopian paradise. Crime happens. Lakeview is not the next Englewood, but complaining about minimal crime is offensive to those who deal with REAL crime everyday within the city.
Fine, let them be offended. Residents of other neighborhoods are not obligated to stand by and let their own neighborhoods get overrun with troublemakers to appease the delicate sensibilities of residents in "worse" neighborhoods. The perpetually aggrieved might do well to spend their energies minding their own backyard instead.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Irish Tom and Drover have the right idea; maybe it's time to take a stand, and put a stop to this garbage..

Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Well, tonight I saw two packs of the A-holes walking up and down Belmont:

-In one pack, one guy took his glass bottle and threw it into the Jamba Juice window. I dont know if it fully broke the window or not. I have to walk down there and check it out.

-In the second pack, two guys were arguing with each other. They took it into the alley next to Ann Sathers and had a mini-brawl. I heard a lot of banging and smashing and yelling. Five minutes later, they all came running out of the alley, and proceeded to walk further east on belmont.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
I've lived in chicago for 3 years now and as a black male I've noticed the increase in the amount of traffic, its nothing to do with any one particular demographic. The area is definatly a destination area.

Most of the violence I've seen in boystown has involved intoxicated club goers and none of it was what I consider as random. I could be wrong but that has been my observation.

Blacks accusing residence of lakeview being racist has evolved over time. The first time I've been called the n word in a hatefull way has been in boystown by a queen with his friends ther has also been many instances of racism from the business community. So the racist claims imho are justified.

unfortunatly boystown has many problems coming from within that community. Prostitution, drug abuse and public intoxication not to mention the issue of gay men propositioning teens for sex who are under age. There is way too much going on within that community. For them to have the audacity to be racist is dispecable.

Boystown has the potential to develop into a true world class community that everyone can enjoy.to ignore the issues of racism and the many other problems that plagues that community will do nothing but hold it back.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times
I was talking to some people who had lived in the city a long time, 60 years or something. When Harold Washington was mayor, a few areas became very bad, virtually abandoned, because he did not put the police force where there was trouble. When Daley was elected mayor he flooded said areas with cops, which brought these certain blocks back.

It will be interesting to see if Emanuel has the backbone to do what Daley did. I don't think Belmont and Clark is in particular danger, but streets going to pot "likethat" would certainly not be unprecedented.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
That hood is fine.
**** like that happens cus' of the alcohol

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 PM

13 posts, read 25,921 times
The violance in Lakeview has been growing for about just over a year now. This summer has been crazy.

I live in a couryard building with no locks on the gate. So the ghetto is hanging out in my courtyrad and won't let me through to my front door. I'm not going to argue as I don't want my head bashed in like it has hapanned to two residents in my building this summer so far. I Leave and walk to the side entrance.

My Asian neighbor. How does the ghetto know if he is a '***** ******' as he is yelled to. He isn't even gay.

Someone earlier in this thread said so there have been a few isolated incidents and on the side streets you are fine. Not True. Within a four block radius of my apartment for the last two weeks of June from I know there have been 9 robberies, 13 people have been attacked and that does not include the racial slurs and threats and just gerneral bad attitude. Yeah you own the sidewalk, I will walk in the street if I didn't notice to cross the street before and you can make your threats, which too often are reality, and comments to me. Good for you.

If I am hanging out at a freinds place or with friends and it is time for me to go, I will cab those two blocks if after 11. I know the odds are somewhat slim of being a victim of violance that early in the evening but the odds are it will happen. I do not want by face kicked in.

Sorry to say it has just become that bad. During the day is the polar opposite. Night falls and it all changes. The vioalance is unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago