Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco23 View Post
Why?
Lack of knowledge, pure and simple. The people working at a place like "Feast" aren't an authority, and are most likely staffed by people from other places that just don't know. I don't think it's much of a big deal, but the change is probably just because of innocent ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 12,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Look, we can all find links. I guess its to each his own. Hooray for grey

Curbed Chicago: Bucktown Archives

Bucktown Fitness | 2100 W North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60647 | Ph 773-235-3455

Locate frozen yogurt Chicago | Chicago frozen yogurt | yogurt Chicago | frozen yogurt shops Chicago (to your point)

Chicago Crepes & Gelato | Crepe Crave (to your point)

Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Lack of knowledge, pure and simple. The people working at a place like "Feast" aren't an authority, and are most likely staffed by people from other places that just don't know. I don't think it's much of a big deal, but the change is probably just because of innocent ignorance.
The people working there? How about the owner of the business who chose to explain this location as "Bucktown"?

And you're right about it not being a big deal.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Bolded by me. When?

And what block did you live on?
From 2008-2010 on Winchester between North and Wabansia -- so it's funny but I was in a perfect position for this argument -- If you go back thru old posts I'm certain you can find several where I say I live in WP or B-Town depending on who you ask. I think it's a legit grey area, though my block had a lot of old-timers on it who all said WP as Bloomingdale's tracks are the true neighborhood line. I won't argue that is or isn't; it's just this thing you keep saying -- that you consider six corners to be Bucktown that I can't get over or behind!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:33 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Quote:
The people working there? How about the owner of the business who chose to explain this location as "Bucktown"?

And you're right about it not being a big deal.

So the owner is clueless too then. If Bucktown, and Wicker Park had 2 separate chambers of commerce instead of a conjoined one, (s)he'd be a member of the Wicker Park Chamber of commerce.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Again, you're right, of course this doesn't matter. I'm just merely pointing out that just because 20 years ago, the old timers were calling it one thing, doesn't mean that in time that can't change.
It matters for a number of reasons. One significant way that it matters is that Bloomingdale Ave. is not just the boundary of Wicker Park, it is also the boundary of the West Town Community Area. The City's official boundaries for both neighborhoods and Community Areas are used in planning, gathering statistics, crime reporting, tracking demographics, and for thousands of other things. This is done not just by government entities, but also by educational institutions, community organizations, journalists, and social scientists. Considering North to be the boundary means that you're nearly doubling the size of Bucktown, and therefor completely misunderstanding the areas covered by government statistics, media reports, and academic studies.

The City is not going to change the official boundaries, they have no way to break out historical data along the new lines (and certainly not across a Community Area boundary) so they have to keep the boundaries static for reasons of accurate comparisons over time. Since that isn't going to change it makes more sense for people to stick with the official boundaries so they can understand information published by the media, local government entities, and academic institutions.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
I posted links which explain historical context, read the Reader one at least and you'll learn some interesting things about your neighborhood.

And I understand gray areas once you get out of the official Community Areas, but the fact is that there is an actual Wicker Park, which being permanent carries more weight in these discussions, for me anyway.

Very true the neighborhood changes. Many of my friends now in Logan Sq and Avondale spent time in Wicker Park in the 90s - and they ALL would say "Wicker Park" if asked where the Subterranean is, or Cans, or Flatiron, etc. Not until Armitage does Wicker Park have zero claim IMO.

Does any of this matter? Depends who you're talking to. If you want to gain traction talking with the opposite sex in that area and said person is of an artistic persuasion, you might want to have your terminology straight.

It's a bit like the difference between an Eb and a D#, it's all context.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
btw, I do love the conversation just from an objective sense - it's kinda funny to see these two neighborhoods contrasted, as for most of my friends we consider both of them pretty "far gone" as far as having reached the final stage of gentrification.

It's like debating where Old Town and Lincoln Park start/end, it's fun, where as people buying in "West Bucktown" who find themselves on a street in Humboldt Park (or East Garfield Park instead of Humboldt Park) with regular drive-bys are rarely amused when they realize they were deceived.

There's also the case of neighborhood associations and so forth - a lot of well meaning newbies get together with a few friends and form these, only to later find out they are included in a different group that has decades of credibility. Again, "West Bucktown" lowers the bar in this regard.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, I do love the conversation just from an objective sense - it's kinda funny to see these two neighborhoods contrasted, as for most of my friends we consider both of them pretty "far gone" as far as having reached the final stage of gentrification.

It's like debating where Old Town and Lincoln Park start/end, it's fun, where as people buying in "West Bucktown" who find themselves on a street in Humboldt Park (or East Garfield Park instead of Humboldt Park) with regular drive-bys are rarely amused when they realize they were deceived.

There's also the case of neighborhood associations and so forth - a lot of well meaning newbies get together with a few friends and form these, only to later find out they are included in a different group that has decades of credibility. Again, "West Bucktown" lowers the bar in this regard.
Good stuff. And thanks for sharing that Reader link.

In other news, I checked out NW tower yesterday and there is indeed an elevator operator. Heck of a nice guy too...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
From 2008-2010 on Winchester between North and Wabansia -- so it's funny but I was in a perfect position for this argument -- If you go back thru old posts I'm certain you can find several where I say I live in WP or B-Town depending on who you ask. I think it's a legit grey area, though my block had a lot of old-timers on it who all said WP as Bloomingdale's tracks are the true neighborhood line. I won't argue that is or isn't; it's just this thing you keep saying -- that you consider six corners to be Bucktown that I can't get over or behind!
Definitely a perfect position for the argument. I hear you on 6 corners. Maybe that's just my thing I suppose. (and Crain's and Curbed)

Note: Not being facetious.

I'm thinking of new things to say as I type so bear with me...

The point that other publications are calling 6 corners Bucktown, sure does prove that there is at least a handful of people who consider this to be a grey area at the very least, no?

Last edited by wisco23; 10-12-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: auto correct typo correction. (Facetious not facticious!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago