Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisbry View Post
My office is going to be off of Clybourne ave, in between Armitage and North ave. From what I can tell that is on the West edge of Lincoln Park. I really appreciate all the responses, very helpful.

Then you may want to expand your apt search to Wicker Park or Bucktown near either North or Armitage, as that would just be a short bus ride away. Similar to LP and Lakeview, its more of a late 20's and 30's area, with better restaurants, more artsier with lots of great music clubs, and an awesome debate among bitter adults who haven't moved past petty high school debates about who's more of a yuppie, hipster, chad, poser, or trixie.

So its got that going for it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM

34 posts, read 39,640 times
It will be a 1 bedroom and very small with window unit at that price.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Then you may want to expand your apt search to Wicker Park or Bucktown near either North or Armitage, as that would just be a short bus ride away. Similar to LP and Lakeview, its more of a late 20's and 30's area, with better restaurants, more artsier with lots of great music clubs, and an awesome debate among bitter adults who haven't moved past petty high school debates about who's more of a yuppie, hipster, chad, poser, or trixie.

So its got that going for it as well.
Agreed with the LP "crowd", although Wick/Buck has pretty much just become a junior Lincoln Park. Still somewhat artsy, but its been gentrified to hell. Shame.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:14 AM

34 posts, read 39,640 times
no problem-- just start looking 3 weeks before you ready to sign call a realtor for the most up to date list of rentals

Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,166 times
What neighborhoods are good for people who don't have Oprah's bank account?
I would love to live in an apartment that was from the 20's and 30's etc when they made apartment buildings with some character. Currently the apartment I have in Florida is a very cookie cutter type complex.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
I just moved to Tampa from Chicago (for a year), so I had many questions like yours about Tampa! I can tell you that a friend of mine just had a horrible time finding a 1 bedroom in lincoln park for under $1000 and the one he found was SMALL (he was also looking for dog friendly, so that was a bit limiting.) I understand the want to live in a "hip" neighborhood, but as people suggested, lakeview, wrigleyville, wicker park, west lakeview, will also get you more bang for your buck (and have just as much going on). I can also tell you that in my first place in Chicago (a small apartment) was almost $300 a month in heat due to leaky windows, and my last place in chicago (a huge coachhouse) was only about $150.... it just depends. About 6-8 weeks before you are moving, look on craiglist and check with a few apartment search services (apartment guys, apartment people, homestead group)

Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM

169 posts, read 456,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Agreed with the LP "crowd", although Wick/Buck has pretty much just become a junior Lincoln Park. Still somewhat artsy, but its been gentrified to hell. Shame.
So where are the artsier, less snooty areas now? I had always heard Wicker Park was the place, so I was pretty disappointed to see how yuppie/expensive/trendy it is now. (I realize that happens to all such areas in time.) I haven't seen a place like that in Chicago, which really surprises me for such a large city, and is really a bummer.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
So where are the artsier, less snooty areas now? I had always heard Wicker Park was the place, so I was pretty disappointed to see how yuppie/expensive/trendy it is now. (I realize that happens to all such areas in time.) I haven't seen a place like that in Chicago, which really surprises me for such a large city, and is really a bummer.
It moved south to West Town/Ukrainian Village, but the yuppies are following. Lots of people insist that Bridgeport is becoming the latest Bohemian redoubt; I see precious little evidence to support that contention.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
They say that about Pilsen. That it's the next "Wicker Park". The artists are there, but nothing is that accessible.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
Lincoln Park is a downtown kinda neighborhood right, with condos, high rises and stuff? or am i wrong?...and oh yeah...is this the place that Linkin Park is named after??...hmmm..i wonder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago