U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM

9,258 posts, read 10,854,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
How is this bigotry?
By classing me as old. If you just called my grumpy (which I am) there'd be no bigotry but by saying old you imply there's something wrong with being old.

Use the term "black" instead of old and see how it sounds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM

999 posts, read 320,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And not always for the better. One shouldn't passively accept change simply because it is change. You can see where doing so can lead.

Many good hi-fis from the 50s played louder than those today do. For instance many were home furniture versions of highly sensitive Altec A7 Voice of the Theatres and would play at 100db levels with only a single watt. With a nice 50 watt EL-34 tube amp typical of the time such speakers can get over 115db.
I didn't say for the better. But you were comparing block parties back then to now, then really you need to rethink that. All I am saying is if you are expecting them to be the same from 40+ years you will be disaapointed, which apparently you are.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm prejudiced against fist-shaking old cranks who expect all of the benefits of living in a huge dynamic city with none of the drawbacks.

Being you're a grouchy pain in the ass yourself I must respect your POV.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
By classing me as old. If you just called my grumpy (which I am) there'd be no bigotry but by saying old you imply there's something wrong with being old.

I could care less about how old you are and don't care to know. I don't care if you're 90 years old, a young father with a newborn, or 30 year old, but the simple fact is, this is part of the package of living in a city like Chicago.
I hate that the trains are packed in the morning to work. It makes me anxious, but guess what? That's part of the deal of living here so I DEAL with it.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I could care less about how old you are and don't care to know.

Then why did you say I was coming across as a "grumpy older person"? Evidently it was on your mind and you thought it handy ammunition to discredit my POV.

I can make a syllogism of your reasoning as I see it-----

Old people's opinions are invalid

Irishtom is an old person

Irishtom's opinion is invalid

Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM

4,982 posts, read 3,978,931 times
Quote:
I could care less about how old you are and don't care to know. I don't care if you're 90 years old, a young father with a newborn, or 30 year old, but the simple fact is, this is part of the package of living in a city like Chicago.
I hate that the trains are packed in the morning to work. It makes me anxious, but guess what? That's part of the deal of living here so I DEAL with it.
Packed subway cars are normal; we have that problem here in Cambridge/Boston..

What's "not normal" is having music blasting at very late hours of the evening, and into the early morning hours.

I've had this problem with a few neighbors in past years, which has led to a few conversations ( esp during the work week, when the noise is REALLY not appreciated), and we've come to an understanding. You make for some allowances on weekends, but even then there are certain standards which most people try to conform to...

I can't vouch for Chicago block parties, but a neighboring street here i Cambridge has one or two every year, and they are usually tame events centered around food and kids playing in the street, without loud music, and generally ending before 8 PM. That's the kind of party that I can get behind.

Last edited by MassVt; 08-08-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Then why did you say I was coming across as a "grumpy older person"? Evidently it was on your mind and you thought it handy ammunition to discredit my POV.

I can make a syllogism of your reasoning as I see it-----

Old people's opinions are invalid

Irishtom is an old person

Irishtom's opinion is invalid
How does that make me against old people? Yes I don't like GRUMPY old people, I don't like NEUROTIC young people, I don't like RUDE small children and the list goes on. I never said that you just came off as an old person, I said GRUMPY, because as far as I know GRUMPY is a negative trait not a positive one.

When I heard your complaints and dressy's I didn't think "These are old people" I thought "They sound like GRUMPY old people." There are plenty of older aged people that are not grumpy. If you always associate old with grumpy than that sounds more like your problem than mine.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Packed subway cars are normal; we have that problem here in Cambridge/Boston..

What's "not normal" is having music blasting at very late hours of the evening, and into the early morning hours.

I've had this problem with a few neighbors in past years, which has led to a few conversations ( esp during the work week, when the noise is REALLY not appreciated), and we've come to an understanding. You make for some alowances on weekends, but even then there are certain standards which most people try to conform to...

I can't vouch for Chicago block parties, but a neighboring street here i Cambridge has one or two every year, and they are usually tame events cneterd around food and kids playing in the street, without loud music, and generally ending before 8 PM. That's the kind of party that I can get behind.
Well block parties with loud music here is very common and normal in Chicago. Loud neighborhood festivals are also normal here.

If you knew it was something that happened only once a year though (because block parties only happen once a year on Saturdays usually) would you really make that much of a fuss? There is a noise ordinance in the City of Chicago that outdoor noises can't go past 11pm. The OP said that it was 11pm and that it was still playing. I highly doubt it continued that much longer after that, maybe to 11:15pm or so. However the OP was already complaining before the block party even came.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,084,669 times
Quote:

victim complex ftl

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,024,390 times
Quote:
I agree there is a middle ground. The middle ground is able to sacrifice three days out of the whole year for Lollapalooza. Yes it's for profit, but are you going to deny that the festival brings in a lot of the money to the city? It's good for the city. You have people from all over the Midwest and even the country come in to just attend this concert.
I think this topic is a lot more complex than people are giving it credit for - I don't think Tom is so much saying he wants to ban Lollapalooza as he is pointing out that there are an increasing number of days the taxpaying public can't use a park our tax dollars paid for.

Does Lollapalooza bring in cash to the city? Sure - but what's the % compared to how much We, the People pay/paid for the bonds to build & ongoing maintenance of the parks? I'm guessing it's not even 1%. Not even close.

And bigger picture, what is a reasonable number of days our showcase public parks should be closed to the public? 3? 5? 10?

I don't know the answers - because the people are rarely considered as active stakeholders in these debates. It's a false dichotomy that we "need" to rent out our parks for exclusive events, specific event in question aside.

It's much like the sports team/stadium subsidies issue - the Bears (and Daley) defended the massive public bill for Soldier Field by touting their economic benefit to the City. But the reality isn't that simple - most dollars spent on sports are dollars spent any locals that would be spent here anyway. The tourism (and Lollapalooza qualifies) that counts are the activities/attractions that bring people here from outside the state.

Back to Lollapalooza, this might be an eye-opener:

Demand builds: Probe Lolla sweetheart deal | WBEZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago