Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Honestly, in a 3 day visit - most of the good stuff is easier to get to via transit/cabs than by car. Then you save money on hotel parking/street parking in addition to a less stressful experience.

But if you'll have a car, then you could go off the beaten path more. Things like Hyde Park/Jackson Park, the Botanical Gardens, and the Bai'hai temple are easily done via public transit, but likely a little faster with a car.
That's exactly what I have in mind. See things that average tourist would easily miss. And with own transportation, I HOPE to get there faster!
Now, I would like your input about good AND cheap parking spots Downtown. It does not has to be a parking garage, but maybe... a safe side streets with no meters, or with meters that I don't have to feed every hour?
I will try to do a good planning, and stay in one area longer instead to run to different places across the city. I don't mind to walk a bit
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's exactly what I have in mind. See things that average tourist would easily miss. And with own transportation, I HOPE to get there faster!
Now, I would like your input about good AND cheap parking spots Downtown. It does not has to be a parking garage, but maybe... a safe side streets with no meters, or with meters that I don't have to feed every hour?
I will try to do a good planning, and stay in one area longer instead to run to different places across the city. I don't mind to walk a bit
Thank you!!!
Land in downtown Chicago is highly productive and scarce, thus parking which takes up land has a price.

You can still get to plenty of places most tourists don't get to....most of the non-touristy neighborhoods that are still worth seeing on a 3 day visit are easily accessible by public transit. So its still entirely possible and pragmatic to go 'off the beaten path' without a car.

But if you insist on the car, just be prepared to pay for parking. Its not government subsidized on the level it is in Texas.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
You all are telling me that the public transit is so easy accessible, that I might re-think the car idea

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
You all are telling me that the public transit is so easy accessible, that I might re-think the car idea
Absolutely you don't need a car. Stay somewhere central and take public transit and/or cabs. You'll end up paying way less than you would to park a car. 3 days isn't that long and if you plan on doing the normal tourist stuff, you really won't have time to get too far off the beaten path.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbg View Post
Three days is also ideal because it has been said before that a visit to Chicago will lay a beating on your wallet! Sales taxes, food prices, transit fares, admission fees, and such, are extremely expensive in Chicago.
Does not really matter where you go on vacation in a metropolitan area its gonna hit your wallet

I guess your alternative would be to pitch a tent someplace in northern michigan
central ohio or someplace else in the midwest

If your going on vacation its your turn to splurge a little loosen up the wallet and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Isnt this what we all work for anyway

I dont know but when i vacation i watch money loosely and just sit back and enjoy the memories are certainly worth the money

and of course any big city is expensive with parking etc..the alternative you would miss out on some really fantastic sights and such

Heck one year we went to the dells and that was an arm and a leg
one year we went to cedar point arm and a leg

florida arm and a leg - why do u think cities and states beg tourists to visit
yes to spur their economy nice thing about chicago is you get a lot for you dollar and not everything costs that much last time i walked the lake michigan shoreline or millenium park it was free did not cost me a thin dime

Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Thank you!!!
Chicago Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly Prices Lots
PILMC::Chicago Parking Map::Java Version
look for early spcials in before a certain time and you will usually get a discount
in addition obviously the closer you are to the core business district the more it will be to park.

You can also sometimes get your ticket validated example the boat tour , you can park at trump tower and get a discount
i know wendella does this but watch the times for the validation too

Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM

21 posts, read 60,557 times
I'm also considering visiting chicago during the same time, it would be 2 guys, ages 29 and 32. What bars would be best for our age? I looked at Violet Hour, 1520 N Damen Avenue, http://www.violethour.com , or is that just a fancy place to take a date? Smart Bar, 3730 N Clark St, http://www.smartbarchicago.com , and Hopleaf Bar, 5148 N Clark St, http://www.hopleaf.com , Looking for a club type atmosphere, also another place with just a good Chicago bar atmosphere, and places in our age, late 20's to early 30's... not just a place with 18-21 year olds partying it up. Any other options would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy1981 View Post
I'm also considering visiting chicago during the same time, it would be 2 guys, ages 29 and 32. What bars would be best for our age? I looked at Violet Hour, 1520 N Damen Avenue, Violethour and the Magoski Art Colony , or is that just a fancy place to take a date? Smart Bar, 3730 N Clark St, Smart Bar | Chicago , and Hopleaf Bar, 5148 N Clark St, Hopleaf • Uptown, Chicago , Looking for a club type atmosphere, also another place with just a good Chicago bar atmosphere, and places in our age, late 20's to early 30's... not just a place with 18-21 year olds partying it up. Any other options would be appreciated.

Violet Hour is a really cool bar and worth checking out but it's not a place to party and pick up chicks if thats what you are looking for.

SmartBar is one of the few clubs that still has some credibility when it comes to the house/techno music is plays. If you don't like techno don't go. If you want a bar with a slightly older crowd you can always try RockIt, Bull and Bear, Social 25, Old Town Social, Benchmark etc. Those are sort of "nice" bars I guess, not clubs though.

As far as clubs go it just depends on how clubby and/or pretentious you want it to be. There are an unlimited number of clubs to choose from.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 AM

21 posts, read 60,557 times
Yeah just a club that is for late 20s or early 30s ... if that kind of one exists. Or what are the better clubs around? Ones that arent ghetto and full of weird people.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy1981 View Post
Yeah just a club that is for late 20s or early 30s ... if that kind of one exists. Or what are the better clubs around? Ones that arent ghetto and full of weird people.
Smart Bar is probably one of your best clubs, Vision is good, Spy Bar is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago