Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 PM

61,631 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

... September 15-18. Where to go and what to see? Two adults, no kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
On a completely generic level:

- Architectural Cruise
- Art Institute
- Millennium Park + Tiffany Dome at Cultural center
- Drinks at Lounge on top of Hancock
- At least one neighborhood with the old boulevard system (Logan Square or U of C area would be best)
- Some of the great Chicago restaurants. Do the basics of something like Lou Malnati's for pizza and Portillo's for a hot dog. Then also do places like Frontera/Topo, Publican, Avec, The Bristol, or Longman & Eagle. If you want to go really high end check out L2O or Alinea.

That's a pretty generic list, based around downtown. What are interested in? Food? Music? Art? What do you normally do with free time where you live?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
Well, I have a budget of 100 USD$ and having a black limousine. Want to date her for the first time.
How should I manage?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 AM

427 posts, read 462,924 times
What do you like to do or want to do?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... September 15-18. Where to go and what to see? Two adults, no kids
well you have probably picked the best time of year to visit Chicago and the area as the weater in mid to late sept and into early october is second to none
Here is a link if you have not found this already on the web sites
Explore Chicago | The Official Chicago Tourism Site
Have a good time and let us know what you did and what you thought of your visit after your stay.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the city.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
On a completely generic level:

- Architectural Cruise
- Art Institute
- Millennium Park + Tiffany Dome at Cultural center
- Drinks at Lounge on top of Hancock
- At least one neighborhood with the old boulevard system (Logan Square or U of C area would be best)
- Some of the great Chicago restaurants. Do the basics of something like Lou Malnati's for pizza and Portillo's for a hot dog. Then also do places like Frontera/Topo, Publican, Avec, The Bristol, or Longman & Eagle. If you want to go really high end check out L2O or Alinea.

That's a pretty generic list, based around downtown. What are interested in? Food? Music? Art? What do you normally do with free time where you live?
You can't go wrong with the Architectural boat tours, they also do walking ones in the Loop.

Chicago Architecture Foundation - Tours

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM

61,631 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Thank you guys!! I was there some 15+ years ago and covered the basics, but I am sure there is so much of new stuff to see...
3 days is not much, but I will have a car, so can cover more than per foot. I will check on the boat tours and see if there are more attractions. Definitely visit Downtown and drive/walk on Lake Shore. Eat good local food and try to make the most of the 3 days. Hope the weather will be good!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Thank you guys!! I was there some 15+ years ago and covered the basics, but I am sure there is so much of new stuff to see...
3 days is not much, but I will have a car, so can cover more than per foot. I will check on the boat tours and see if there are more attractions. Definitely visit Downtown and drive/walk on Lake Shore. Eat good local food and try to make the most of the 3 days. Hope the weather will be good!
Three days is about the perfect stay, then you will be glad to get back to Houston.

Here is the link for the boat tour, its good in my opinion and you can get some awesome pictures

Your from Houston so your used to rush hour traffic
Chicago gets gridlock during rush hour bad so if your in the burbs remember to go into the city if possible at off peak hours .... .

At least you will get some relief from your heat down in TX
http://www.wendellaboats.com/

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-10-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Honestly, in a 3 day visit - most of the good stuff is easier to get to via transit/cabs than by car. Then you save money on hotel parking/street parking in addition to a less stressful experience.

But if you'll have a car, then you could go off the beaten path more. Things like Hyde Park/Jackson Park, the Botanical Gardens, and the Bai'hai temple are easily done via public transit, but likely a little faster with a car.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbg View Post
Three days is also ideal because it has been said before that a visit to Chicago will lay a beating on your wallet! Sales taxes, food prices, transit fares, admission fees, and such, are extremely expensive in Chicago.
Right, big cities are expensive. Not just Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago