Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,391 times

Advertisements

My wife and daughter (10 months) are contemplating a move from DC's Dupont Circle to Chicago. What areas, if any, are in/near Chicago where we could buy a rowhouse or home for anywhere from 350 to 500K, and send our daughter to a good public school.

For those familiar with DC, we would be interested in a Chicago area similar to Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, etc., with good public schools.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 PM

73 posts, read 332,939 times
IMO you will really like Chicago if you enjoy Dupont circle. A lot of areas with that kind of restaurant/bar scene and great for walking around. Look at River North/Gold Coast/ Old town/ Lincoln Park/ Bucktown. With a kid I would think you might look at the Old town/ Lincoln park area more. The problem is going to be finding a place you like for the price. Also there are no "good" public schools in Chicago. Plan on a private school.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,186,927 times
I am very familiar with Dupont Circle and Woodley Park. The areas that come closed would be East Lakeview or Lincoln Park in Chicago. The intersection of N Clark and W Diversey remind me of Dupont in some ways due to the vibrancy. You can check listing for 60657 (Lakeview) and 60614 (Lincoln Pk) at realtor.com or whatever site you may prefer.

I am concerned you will only be able to find a condo or maybe a townhome at the upper end of your range. When you say rowhouse are you referring to the one's on the side streets near Dupont Circle that are 3 stores and sometimes have an extra apartment in the basement? Something like that is going to be more than 500K in these neighborhoods most of the time. But take a look at the listings and see what fits your price range.

I am not that familiar with public schools for all ages. I know Nettlehorst in East Lakeview is supposed to be good (elementary). You didn't mention your daughter's age or grade.

There are other neighborhoods that are nice for families (such as Lincoln Square). Other posters may have other suggestions or give you more info about schools

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,616,394 times
Coonley, Bell, Blaine, Audubon, Nettlehorst, Burley, Peirce are all good CPS schools. There are more of course, these are all open enrollment schools for neighborhood kids. All in very nice areas of the City.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,118,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post
IMO you will really like Chicago if you enjoy Dupont circle. A lot of areas with that kind of restaurant/bar scene and great for walking around. Look at River North/Gold Coast/ Old town/ Lincoln Park/ Bucktown. With a kid I would think you might look at the Old town/ Lincoln park area more. The problem is going to be finding a place you like for the price. Also there are no "good" public schools in Chicago. Plan on a private school.
That's not true at all!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,616,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's not true at all!
Exactly, total nonsense!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,132,888 times
Default Rowhouses are not as common in Chicago as other cities of similar age...

I think soulful is correct -- OP's budget is such that it would be uncommon to get a row house in desirable neighborhood. If the OP wants to live in East Lakeview or Lincoln Park they will probably be looking at condo at their price point.

In other neighborhoods, from Lincoln Square to the portions of Lincoln Park nearer to DePaul they might be able to find an un-improved bungalow or frame home, but so many of them have been torn down for larger / more profitable multi-units that I would not hold breath...

There are still some "belts"of row houses in Bronzeville or Logan Square,but fall off in school situation is pretty dramatic.

Depending on age of child(ren) the school situation might really be huge hassle. Selective enrollment process is very disruptive even in parts of Chicago with otherwise desirable housing stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I am very familiar with Dupont Circle and Woodley Park. The areas that come closed would be East Lakeview or Lincoln Park in Chicago. The intersection of N Clark and W Diversey remind me of Dupont in some ways due to the vibrancy. You can check listing for 60657 (Lakeview) and 60614 (Lincoln Pk) at realtor.com or whatever site you may prefer.

I am concerned you will only be able to find a condo or maybe a townhome at the upper end of your range. When you say rowhouse are you referring to the one's on the side streets near Dupont Circle that are 3 stores and sometimes have an extra apartment in the basement? Something like that is going to be more than 500K in these neighborhoods most of the time. But take a look at the listings and see what fits your price range.

I am not that familiar with public schools for all ages. I know Nettlehorst in East Lakeview is supposed to be good (elementary). You didn't mention your daughter's age or grade.

There are other neighborhoods that are nice for families (such as Lincoln Square). Other posters may have other suggestions or give you more info about schools

Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,368,659 times
There are not many row houses in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. There is one section of row houses on Oakdale Ave, and IIRC correctly one of the Kennedy family members lives there. There are some townhouses sprinkled around here and there, but most of the area are 3-flat condo buildings, where the units are stacked on top of each other, as opposed to side by side.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,055,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoKC View Post
My wife and daughter (10 months) are contemplating a move from DC's Dupont Circle to Chicago. What areas, if any, are in/near Chicago where we could buy a rowhouse or home for anywhere from 350 to 500K, and send our daughter to a good public school.

For those familiar with DC, we would be interested in a Chicago area similar to Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, etc., with good public schools.

Thanks for your help.
You can probably find a place for 500k or so in Roscoe Village, a single family unit. It's very walkable and pretty family friendly.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,190,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Coonley, Bell, Blaine, Audubon, Nettlehorst, Burley, Peirce are all good CPS schools. There are more of course, these are all open enrollment schools for neighborhood kids. All in very nice areas of the City.
These are all good schools that you are guaranteed admission to if you live in the attendance area - no lotteries or testing to worry about at all. They're also in nice areas to live as well. I'd also look at houses in the attendance boundaries for Ravenswood and Burr.

Chicago doesn't have nearly as many rowhouses as East Coast cities, but it doesn't seem like you're too hung up on that. If a row house works for you in DC then Worker's Cottages or bungalows would be a good Chicago alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago