Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 PM

87 posts, read 415,438 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I've searched the forums. I've googled til my eyes went googgly. I've gone to CPS-related publications (those that tout it's praises and those that try to keep it real). I know this question has been asked in some form or another, but unless I'm missing a thread, I'm just trying to find a list of maybe the top 10-20 NON-selective CPS high schools. Or what you guys would consider the "top." So far I know of:

Lincoln Park
Lake View (I think)
Von Steuben?
Morgan Park (the high school, not the academy, not what I consider good)
Hyde Park Academy (non-selective, right??)

Unless you just want to, no need to give input on those because I have somewhat of an idea of their reputation from previous posts, right now I'm just looking for some names so I can do some research. Please know that I place only a fraction on test scores because (1) my kids are bright, smart horrible test takers and (2) I'm a true believer that a kid with motivation, determination and support can succeed at the worst school. But that doesn't mean I want my kids going to the worst school! And great schools is a great resource website, but of course, it depends on personal experience (love how a parent can love the place, and a kid who actually lives the day-to-day life thinks they're in the 3rd realm of hell).

Brief background, currently live in south suburbs, with intentions of kids heading to Homewood-Flossmoor HS. HOWEVER, my husband works downtown in a creative field with projects that sometimes keep him at the office and trying to make the last METRA train out the city, my kids are involved in a few activities that take place in the city, I have a stronger family/friend support system in the city and dangit, I'm just tired of the back-and-forth driving and filling the gas tank 2-3 times a week. So we're looking at city-living options.

With a few exceptions all the posts where the OP starts off looking for city neighborhoods with good schools ends with "Oak Park or Evanston is a better choice." "Sounds like Oak Park or Evanston is what you're looking for." Trust me, I'm not. Oak Park -- Been there, done that, not looking to go back. High school looks good on paper but they're dealing with all kinds of crazy crap right now and taxes too high (they've never met a referendum they don't say "no" to). Evanston -- They seem to be dealing with overcrowding issues at the elementary level which I assume will spill over to the high school, and like Oak Park, criminal fringe elements and needing to be in the right area on the right block but not too close to this block and on this side of the street and not that side of the street. . . . Besides, "close to Chicago" isn't "in" Chicago.

Okay, enough rambling before we all forget my original question. List of decent non-selective CPS high schools. Anybody? Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 AM

183 posts, read 338,936 times
You've already listed them except charters, which you should explore. Start with UIC Charter and Nortown Academy on Peterson. You have to apply to charters and selection is by lottery, but scores are not considered. There is also a new performing arts HS that decent, but not top scorers are going to, but I can't remember its name. Check out cpsobsessed.com, especially the comments section for a wealth of info on high schools. There is another new HS which fspecializes in learning video game technology. You realize there will be a "criminal fringe element" at any of these HSs right?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
You realize there will be a "criminal fringe element" at any of these HSs right?
Yep. Knuckleheads hang out in the suburbs too. Not looking for perfect, just the right school for my kids (and not feeling like the car and METRA are our second homes). Thanks for the info and reference.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
Ogden is supposed to be a good school, but because it's new(er) it isn't listed on most good schools lists. The downside is going to be the cost of living in the boundary for it. Alcott also has a high school, and I believe Audobon is putting one together.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Ogden is supposed to be a good school, but because it's new(er) it isn't listed on most good schools lists. The downside is going to be the cost of living in the boundary for it. Alcott also has a high school, and I believe Audobon is putting one together.
My boss' son goes to Alcott for elementary and he's a very bright kid. The school sounds pretty on top of things from what I've heard. And you're spot on. There are good public schools but they are generally in very expensive areas.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Thanks! Looked these up and so far it sounds like what we're looking for, will try to make some open houses or set appts to tour. My friend's daughter goes to Ogden but she's in the IB program, so I thought it was selective. But I see it's also an open enrollment neighborhood school. All 3 schools have decent test scores and not too many complaints on greatschools site. The expansion to the high school level is nice because it will be small, initially, which will benefit our son.

Themag62, the school you're thinking of is called ChicagoQuest. Sounds interesting if you can get in at this early stage so you don't have to worry about the lottery as they get more applications. ChicagoQuest: Overview

Our housing costs will probably go up but might be offset by the almost $300 monthly transportation costs (gas fill ups, METRA monthly ticket on top of monthly CTA pass gets ridiculous).

Thanks again to all for your help.

Last edited by Cinema; 08-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: forgot info

Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Good Luck!

If you are not happy with the situation at OPRF or ETHS you would probably want a full on SEAL team for "extraction / insertion" into some of the schools you have listed...

Not exactly sure how "less tanks per week" factor into any discussion either -- where exactly are the activities "in the city" that you kids are currently involved in? You have a odd list of schools scattered all over Chicago. Unless you are gonna rely on CTA for all family travel needs that still seems like LOTS of driving, and if does become the norm to be regular users of the CTA and you are living far from the Loop but still "IN the city" the "late nights at the office" can become not merely a scramble for the last Metra train but something that starts to look like "Escape From New York"...

On a more serious note, why are you convinced your kids are "horrible test takers"? Have they been evaluated? Are they not receiving appropriate support at their school? Most well run schools target bright kids with poor test taking skills for intervention as such measures are a surefire way to increase overall test scores and help students deal with standardized tests that are an important component of college admissions.

The grass is rarely greener...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema View Post
Let me start by saying I've searched the forums. I've googled til my eyes went googgly. I've gone to CPS-related publications (those that tout it's praises and those that try to keep it real). I know this question has been asked in some form or another, but unless I'm missing a thread, I'm just trying to find a list of maybe the top 10-20 NON-selective CPS high schools. Or what you guys would consider the "top." So far I know of:

Lincoln Park
Lake View (I think)
Von Steuben?
Morgan Park (the high school, not the academy, not what I consider good)
Hyde Park Academy (non-selective, right??)

Unless you just want to, no need to give input on those because I have somewhat of an idea of their reputation from previous posts, right now I'm just looking for some names so I can do some research. Please know that I place only a fraction on test scores because (1) my kids are bright, smart horrible test takers and (2) I'm a true believer that a kid with motivation, determination and support can succeed at the worst school. But that doesn't mean I want my kids going to the worst school! And great schools is a great resource website, but of course, it depends on personal experience (love how a parent can love the place, and a kid who actually lives the day-to-day life thinks they're in the 3rd realm of hell).

Brief background, currently live in south suburbs, with intentions of kids heading to Homewood-Flossmoor HS. HOWEVER, my husband works downtown in a creative field with projects that sometimes keep him at the office and trying to make the last METRA train out the city, my kids are involved in a few activities that take place in the city, I have a stronger family/friend support system in the city and dangit, I'm just tired of the back-and-forth driving and filling the gas tank 2-3 times a week. So we're looking at city-living options.

With a few exceptions all the posts where the OP starts off looking for city neighborhoods with good schools ends with "Oak Park or Evanston is a better choice." "Sounds like Oak Park or Evanston is what you're looking for." Trust me, I'm not. Oak Park -- Been there, done that, not looking to go back. High school looks good on paper but they're dealing with all kinds of crazy crap right now and taxes too high (they've never met a referendum they don't say "no" to). Evanston -- They seem to be dealing with overcrowding issues at the elementary level which I assume will spill over to the high school, and like Oak Park, criminal fringe elements and needing to be in the right area on the right block but not too close to this block and on this side of the street and not that side of the street. . . . Besides, "close to Chicago" isn't "in" Chicago.

Okay, enough rambling before we all forget my original question. List of decent non-selective CPS high schools. Anybody? Anybody?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are not happy with the situation at OPRF or ETHS you would probably want a full on SEAL team for "extraction / insertion" into some of the schools you have listed...

Not exactly sure how "less tanks per week" factor into any discussion either -- where exactly are the activities "in the city" that you kids are currently involved in? You have a odd list of schools scattered all over Chicago. Unless you are gonna rely on CTA for all family travel needs that still seems like LOTS of driving, and if does become the norm to be regular users of the CTA and you are living far from the Loop but still "IN the city" the "late nights at the office" can become not merely a scramble for the last Metra train but something that starts to look like "Escape From New York"...

On a more serious note, why are you convinced your kids are "horrible test takers"? Have they been evaluated? Are they not receiving appropriate support at their school? Most well run schools target bright kids with poor test taking skills for intervention as such measures are a surefire way to increase overall test scores and help students deal with standardized tests that are an important component of college admissions.

The grass is rarely greener...
1. I know the schools are scattered. I was looking for a list and those were the schools I know of that are neighborhood schools. I didn't say they were contenders, but I see where it would read that way. So no, I wouldn't put Morgan Park in that top list. Nothing against OPRF or ETHS, I know any school we end up in will not be utopia, we just don't want to live in those areas and I didn't want this to turn into yet another move to OP post like most did when I was searching the forums.

2. My kids' activities are in the downtown and south loop areas, 3-4 days a week. And though it may be "LOTS" of driving, it's less driving time and less mileage, less gas being burned, less wear and tear on a car that is nearing it's sunset years.

3. I'm sure my husband would take "Escape from New York" over not being able to make it home and having to sleep on his office couch because he missed the last train.

4. Every test my kids take for the week comes home on Fridays, so I see their test scores. My son works with an IEP and has a great team of staff supporting him. My daughter gets tutoring when she needs it--through the school before ISATS and then what we pay for after ISATs. I very much preach and practice the home-school connection philosophy to achieve school success, so yes, they get support from school. I'm not complaining about their current school, that's not what my post was about. My point for mentioning tests scores was to say that's not all I look for. That a child could be lousy at taking tests, but it doesn't reflect how smart they are, just how they retain information short term. Or that a school with low scores could provide wonderful enrichment opportunities outside academics, teaching to the whole child, not just the tests.

I simply wanted a list to see where the decent schools are located to see if one or more are in areas that would be convenient for work and play, and maybe give us more time to spend together.

As for greener grass, baby, you're preaching to the choir. From the first car I just had to have that lost it's transmission a week later as I was driving on the expressway to the wonderful man I envied my girlfriend for having who turned out to be an abusive jack-ass, I've learned to appreciate MY green grass with some brown spots just fine. We're just looking at our options. . . and all I wanted was a list.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM

183 posts, read 338,936 times
UIC Charter sounds like the most geographically desirable school based on your kid's activities. Go to the CPS website and check out the attendance boundaries for the neighborhood program for Ogden. I believe it includes some pretty rough areas that would draw students your kids might not be prepared to deal with. The IB program kids would come from all over the city, and IB kids are fairly isolated from the neighborhood progam kids at these schools. So your friend's kid's experience may not represent what your kids would experience there. Parents have to seek out Charters and go through an application process, so that says at least something about how involved and attentive these parents are with their kids, and in turn might say something about better socialization of the kids at the school.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
UIC Charter sounds like the most geographically desirable school based on your kid's activities. Go to the CPS website and check out the attendance boundaries for the neighborhood program for Ogden. I believe it includes some pretty rough areas that would draw students your kids might not be prepared to deal with. The IB program kids would come from all over the city, and IB kids are fairly isolated from the neighborhood progam kids at these schools. So your friend's kid's experience may not represent what your kids would experience there. Parents have to seek out Charters and go through an application process, so that says at least something about how involved and attentive these parents are with their kids, and in turn might say something about better socialization of the kids at the school.
All excellent points and much appreciated because I'm not familiar how schools-within-schools work. But of course it makes sense that the kids in the IB program and those in the AP/Gifted program are experiencing different day-to-day activities. I would hope the regular classes would benefit (i.e., be challenged at their level), but I don't know if that's the case all the time. BTW, UIC Charter, are you speaking of the college prep on Damen?

As I mentioned above, we're happy with their school/school district right now, at least for middle school, not so much for the high school they would have to attend which is why our initial plan was to move to the HF attendance area. It's more about cutting travel and having more family time. So I want to make sure if we make the move, I'm keeping them in the same type of positive and challenging learning environment. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago