U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM

1,412 posts, read 682,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is an even less "fis" if you are a senior or chronically ill. Many of the services that are being redistributed greatly disadvantage those who need them the most.

Two things that might help is stay out of wars and cut way back on funding other countries until our own economy improves.
The problem is we really need to stay involved around the world as much as possible as the political vacuum of the last 20 years continues to evolve. Consider what happened during the political vacuum in the 20 years after World War I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-23-2011, 12:07 AM

427 posts, read 76,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
then why did we need 15-20 million undocumented immigrants
We didn't.

If you think all 15-20 million illegals were working or able to work, I have a bridge to sell you in Kansas.

Unread 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM

1,475 posts, read 981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The big issue isn't tariffs, it's the way the yuan is valued that makes Chinese imports so cheap. There are negotiations going on about this right now because China is completely dependent upon a strong dollar to keep it's economy together. This has some good effects (i.e. if we fail China fails, forcing at least tolerant relations between us) but currency valuation is the real driver of trade imbalances. At this point almost the entire world has decided that we are the best place to keep their money, and even with current problems we are still the best option (perhaps even more so than before).

Our currency situation was devised by David Stockman and Ronald Reagan to get us out of the the recession of the early 80's. It worked, but it also had an awful impact on unskilled manufacturing (and farming for that matter as well). The death of unskilled/semi-skilled manufacturing was also helped along by automation. We can never turn the technology clock back and the unskilled jobs will never return.

The biggest irony is that there are skilled manufacturing jobs still available in the US, but a combination of a lot of factors have left us unable to fill those jobs. The focus on test scores has meant a loss of shop classes at a time when more training than ever is needed for manufacturing jobs. Manufacturers have driven out Unions (and thereby pensions and training programs) removing the incentives for workers to stay at one place for a long enough time period to get training on the job. Manufacturers don't want to spend any money for training, and thereby accelerate their own decline.

To be honest I don't think there is any place in the US today for unskilled manufacturing jobs. If you don't have any skills get a service job, not a manufacturing job. I worked piece work deburring plastic squares for awhile, and it was a job that was screaming to be done by a robot. For the US to recover it's exporting status we need a combination of an improved educational system, investment in infrastructure, manufacturers willing to commit to workers long term, and a rebirth of training programs through either unions or manufacturers.

this was a great post

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM

955 posts, read 666,918 times
Attrill pretty much nailed it with that post. The only thing I would disagree on is unskilled manufacturing angle. There will always be some manufacturing jobs that can't be performed abroad or by robots that need to be performed locally as part of the last step in the manufacturing chain. Think light assembly of manufactured components (some of it skilled, some unskilled). This type of stuff is necessary here because doing it abroad would lead to bulky items going into shipping containers (rather than stackable components). There is no doubt that the number of unskilled manufacturing jobs will continue to decline however.

Other things that would increase productivity/wealth among the less economically advantaged population:

-Preventative measures: money into drug treatment, mental health treatment, and contraception rather than the government's implicit support of the private prison industry.

-As mentioned, recognition that the classic education path isn't for everyone. There needs to be more focus on recognizing that college isn't for every kid, and the county needs its technicians and plumbers too. More focus on vocational education/life skills training for those who aren't college material (or those who don't want to take the college path).

-More checkpoints for entitlement programs. Those who want to keep receiving checks from the governement need to start taking a checked path where they are making themselves more marketable for work: drug screening, mandatory job training to maintain benefits, etc. I realize this isn't a one size fits all solution (what to do with kids indirectly receiving benefits from a drug addicted parent, how to care for them when parents are receiving training, etc.), but something needs to be done here.

-This one won't be popular with the libertarian set, but there needs to an economic incentive to eating better and living healthier. Obesity and diet-related illness is a huge problem everywhere in this country, but in impoverished areas in particular. A lot of this is due to the fact that it is cheaper to get calories from heavily processed junk food than it is to get it from fresh food, canned/frozen vegetables, etc. Diseases due to diet take a huge toll on the health care system and lead to many people who sit at home jobless simply because they aren't healthy enough to work. Add to that spouses/family members who must take time off work to attend to family members suffering from these types of problems, and there is a lot of lost wealth/productivity there.

Unread 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM

668 posts, read 446,147 times
ong term solution offer people on the south or westside
money not to have children even consider cutting off welffare
for the unborn children of generational welfare recipients. that way they
have time to make a decision before they get pregnant.

We need to really start talking about population control
with automation, robots, globalism and immigration. There is really
no need to have an underclass anymore.

and republicans should advocate medicaid payin for abortions would
solve the problem.

Unread 08-26-2011, 11:09 PM

2,026 posts, read 880,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
-More checkpoints for entitlement programs. Those who want to keep receiving checks from the governement need to start taking a checked path where they are making themselves more marketable for work: drug screening, mandatory job training to maintain benefits, etc. I realize this isn't a one size fits all solution (what to do with kids indirectly receiving benefits from a drug addicted parent, how to care for them when parents are receiving training, etc.), but something needs to be done here.
Good thoughts. One idea I've had (that would be wildly unpopular) was to require a certain level of "community service" from all able-bodied recipients of welfare in order to continue receiving said benefits. I don't see why, if the gov't is paying the way for so many people, that they shouldn't help out with jobs like cleaning up our roadways and parks. It's not like there's a shortage of litter to pick up in many areas, particularly depressed neighborhoods. God knows I pick up plenty of trash out of my front yard/easement and my neighbor's yard and I'm not even lucky enough to receive free money from the government to sit on my ass and do nothing otherwise.

PS: Are Cheetos covered by food stamps? Handed out on street corners? Dropped from helicopters as part of a psy-ops campaign? Because overwhelmingly, the single item I pick up most frequently out of my front yard is Cheetos bags (Flamin' Hot is the most popular) It's like Soylent Green for the urban set. I really really really really wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

Unread 08-27-2011, 12:08 AM

955 posts, read 666,918 times
The problem with welfare in general is that insufficient funds are provided to allow people to get training, perform public work to continue to receive benefits, etc.

Unemployment is capped in IL at $316/week for those who made roughly 80K over the 4 quarters prior to their unemployment. Add a kid and its around $500/week. If you're looking to do half time day care for a child here, it's going to cost you roughly $600/mo for a very inexpensive place. When you take out the daycare costs, a single parent of one child has less than $19K to support a child and him/herself for one year. That to me is a big problem with the system. A lot of middle class single parents fall into poverty because the unemployment benefits are insufficient to raise kids and gain necessary training...so it's easier to stay at home, save on daycare, and remain on the dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago