Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I though he was an alumnus of Kenwood Academy.
I see that is what it says on Wikipedia. However, I've been told that R Kelly is from around here, went to Rich Central High School and used to shop at Lincoln Mall before he was famous.

Last edited by urza216; 09-12-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM

207 posts, read 506,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I see that is what it says on Wikipedia. However, I've been told that R Kelly is from around here, went to Rich Central High School and used to shop at Lincoln Mall before he was famous.
NO he isnt FROM the south suburbs!!He is from the south side he went to school at Kenwood Academy, you know, the same place where he was accused of picking up underage girls after supposedly visiting old teachers.

and this too
Quote:
Sox Fan.. You're 28, you say? And I thought you were originally from University Park? (Remembering all the not so nice words you had to say about the south suburbs and what I thought was your hometown). And yet you've implied a few times you grew up around tons of white girls.. White girls from Crete and Monee? lol

Where are you originally from?
No Im not 28...Atlantanative83 is....you had to have read the whole ridiculous tirade before the mod deleted all off the comments. Im 33 I'm originally from Olympia Fields, Richton Park.....from the 1980's...I moved their in 1981 from Connecticut. Yes back then it was predominantly white, up until about my highschool years....you are from that area so you should know, right? Then my family and I moved to UP for a few years when I was in high school and I attended Crete Monee for a few years. Crete Monee is predominantly white with 3/4 the students coming from Crete, and Monee, and about a 1/4 from University Park which made up the black portion of the school. So yes that is a "ton of white girls" in my life! District 162 in the 1980's Indiana, Sauk, Illinois, Arcadia, OW Huth....it was very different deal in the 1980's.

And after being in the south burbs in the 80's in to compare it to the south suburbs of now....its a completely different place....it has went downhill for sure. Just because Im from there does not mean I have to pretend that its a great place!! Its a boring little area that lacks everything that makes life worth living ESPECIALLY UNIVERSITY PARK!!! I hated living there!! When it was time to leave for college, I ran like hell out of there!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM

46 posts, read 144,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post

And after being in the south burbs in the 80's in to compare it to the south suburbs of now....its a completely different place....it has went downhill for sure. Just because Im from there does not mean I have to pretend that its a great place!! Its a boring little area that lacks everything that makes life worth living ESPECIALLY UNIVERSITY PARK!!! I hated living there!! When it was time to leave for college, I ran like hell out of there!
I said this once on here and I recanted even though I felt I was being accurate. We moved here from the Southern USA when I was young. Some of the areas my father's associates lived in are not what I remember and we all moved the same time to this area.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
NO he isnt FROM the south suburbs!!He is from the south side he went to school at Kenwood Academy, you know, the same place where he was accused of picking up underage girls after supposedly visiting old teachers.

and this too

No Im not 28...Atlantanative83 is....you had to have read the whole ridiculous tirade before the mod deleted all off the comments. Im 33 I'm originally from Olympia Fields, Richton Park.....from the 1980's...I moved their in 1981 from Connecticut. Yes back then it was predominantly white, up until about my highschool years....you are from that area so you should know, right? Then my family and I moved to UP for a few years when I was in high school and I attended Crete Monee for a few years. Crete Monee is predominantly white with 3/4 the students coming from Crete, and Monee, and about a 1/4 from University Park which made up the black portion of the school. So yes that is a "ton of white girls" in my life! District 162 in the 1980's Indiana, Sauk, Illinois, Arcadia, OW Huth....it was very different deal in the 1980's.

I don't remember this area ever being predominately white, in all honestly. When I went to O.W Huth Middle School around the turn of the century, I was the minority.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM

And by the way, Crete Monee High School is 30 percent white today. Crete and Monee are still predominately white but mixed. The high school includes students from Crete, Monee, University Park and the Will County side of Park Forest.

As for O.W Huth Middle School.. i still have my 1999 and 2000 year books. It clearly was a predominately black school. There was a prevalant white student body but it's very clear who was the minority.

I think all those older people talking about the good old days need to let by gones be by gones. I'm 25 and I don't remember these good old days you people speak of.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
I don't remember this area ever being predominately white, in all honestly. When I went to O.W Huth Middle School around the turn of the century, I was the minority.

It was majority-predominately white(maybe except for a few like University Park). According to 1990 data, much of the south burbs south of I-80 was majority or predominately white , as well as some north of the e-way. Certain parts of Riverdale was 85%+ white just 20 years ago, so I can only imagine what the far south burbs looked like in the early 80s. Schools are a different story.

Check out this map
Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-13-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Because you were too young...its as simple as that. Ask anyone older than 31 how things were. Once townships started excepting Section 8 vouchers THATS when things changed!! Certain suburbs were always predominantly black, CC Hills, Hazel Crest, UP, Markham, Harvey, Robbins. But then there were the others that were predominantly white: Richton Park, Park Forest, Crete, Olympia Fields, Monee, Steger, Flossmoor, Homewood, Frankfort, Lansing.

You lived there post "white flight" of the mid 90's....when I can back home from school around 1998-99 for summer break that is when I noticed the demographic shift.

But I went to OW Huth in like 1988 and it was majority white then!! The south suburbs in those days actually had a true suburban vibe and not the "south side extension" you see today. Back then we could leave our doors unlocked at night, I literally remember sleeping near the front door all night wide open in the summers.

Back then Lincoln Mall was actually a place people would come from all over to shop, even the city. These days its a glorified flea market, Swap-o-Rama The Sequel...its sad!! The South Burbs really are not the same place. People cared and took pride back then.

Last edited by SoxCub Fan; 09-13-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Because you were too young...its as simple as that. Ask anyone older than 31 how things were. Once townships started excepting Section 8 vouchers THATS when things changed!! Certain suburbs were always predominantly black, CC Hills, Hazel Crest, UP, Markham, Harvey, Robbins. But then there were the others that were predominantly white: Richton Park, Park Forest, Crete, Olympia Fields, Monee, Steger, Flossmoor, Homewood, Frankfort, Lansing.

You lived there post "white flight" of the mid 90's....when I can back home from school around 1998-99 for summer break that is when I noticed the demographic shift.

But I went to OW Huth in like 1988 and it was majority white then!! The south suburbs in those days actually had a true suburban vibe and not the "south side extension" you see today. Back then we could leave our doors unlocked at night, I literally remember sleeping near the front door all night wide open in the summers. My family was one of a few black families in our neighborhood.

Back then Lincoln Mall was actually a place people would come from all over to shop, even the city. These days its a glorified flea market, Swap-o-Rama The Sequel...its sad!! The South Burbs really are not the same place. People cared and took pride back then.
Yes, Orland Park is really a slum.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, Orland Park is really a slum.
No Orland Park isnt really considered a "South Suburb"...its more like a Southwest Suburbs. Which includes Orland Park, Palos Heights, Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Chicago Ridge, etc. In fact Orland Park was one of the main areas a lot of former south suburbanites sold their homes to head out for!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM

143 posts, read 334,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-relo View Post
I am a 29 year old black professional (attorney) that is relocating to Chicago in two months. I will be working in the Loop. I am looking for advice on where the YBP's live in Chicago. I am well aware of the reputation of areas like Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, etc. However, these areas don't seem to cater to YBP's. I'm originally from the east coast so it is important that I live in an area that (i) other YBP's live; (ii) caters to the lounge and upscale club crowd; (iii) has good proximity to the Loop and transit; (iv) offers good amenities; and (v) is close to where I need to go to get my hair cut. Would you all recommend South Loop? Hype Park?
You guys aren't doing too well answering the persons question.

Chi-relo: As a YBP who knows exactly what you mean you mentioned the two top neighborhoods for YBP's, and I would agree with that 100%. There are many differences between the two neighborhoods.

Hyde Park: Hyde Park is very eclectic with african culture all around but still, diverse as the University of Chicago one of the nations top school is also in the area and brings all sorts of crowds. You walk outside and you're greeted with "How you doin today brotha'. How you feelin today sistah?" Hyde Park is it's own little city within the city. It's got a good vibe, lots of restaurants, I'm not necessarily impressed with the bars/lounges there but there are a few. Lots of mom and pops in every aspects to auto mechanics, restaurants, flower shops, book stores, etc. And the entire community supports itself VERY well. It's great because it's for young people and young families too. I can see why a lot of people fall in love with it. It's really a strong community and people work well together here. This is where the majority YBP's live would be my guess. Hyde Park is overall chill, and you don't have to leave the neighborhood often if you like chill, in the summer they have lots of street festivals which are great too. But if you want to go out and have a lot of excitement you'd be more attracted to south loop.

South Loop: South Loop is exciting but still chill depending on where you live in the area. It's got lots of restaurants, retailers, a few bars and is diverse but maybe not as much as Hyde Park (not many places are as diverse as Hyde Park). But the YBP is DEFINITELY prominent. You will see the really successful YBP's here sitting all uppity (but not too uppity like a DC type place) in Whole Foods, in all the gyms in the area, etc. It's actually nice to see. My favorite thing about South Loop: It's close to all the exciting areas in the city without being "The" exiciting area. Cause nothing worse than trying to sleep and hearing bar fights break out at 2am on a Tuesday like a lot of places in Chicago. This place is EXCELLENT (10/10) for public transportation, you never wait more than 5-7 minutes for any bus or train. It's got a great exciting but not too exciting vibe if you really want to experience "The City", this is great and you'll still see a lot of people who look like you. I will say the neighborhood isn't as friendly and personable as Hyde Park, but again, goes back to my reference of being "In the City".

So again, this is just my opinion, but the moment I moved to Chicago this was the same question I wanted answered and I saw a lot of advice on here that I would not agree with e.g. Edgewater, it's diverse and friendly, but you'll be the only black guy most places and the black community there isn't necessarily friendly with each other. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago