Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 06:26 PM

175 posts, read 637,305 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out which is the best route for me to get home from the Loop on weekdays after work. I live in Hyde Park and have been taking Metra Electric which is nice, however the walk is nearly 1 mile to the 51st station. Not a big deal for me with good weather but thinking ahead to the winter, I wanted to go a different route.

I can take the #2 Hyde Park Express in the am which is 1 block from my home and very quick to the loop at 645am. I can be in the loop in 20 minutes on a good day - 30 on a bad day in the am. It's the evening commute back that is ridiculous. It can take over 1 hour sometimes on the #2 bus b/c it takes forever to get out of downtown not to mention you are standing on a crowded bus vs. sitting on the am commute in.

So, I've been thinking about taking either the green or red line back to the respective stops listed and then hooking up with the #15 bus heading East that would drop me 1 block from my home. The problem is, I know those areas (even though only a mile or so from me) aren't the best. They are both about 20 minutes or so from where I would get on in the loop. I'd be returning home anywhere between 445-6pm weeknights and of course it will be dark then. I have no issue with the short walk from the bus stop back to my home - it's a nice area. But waiting around if I have to wait for a bus at the 47th red line or 51st green line can be interesting to say the least.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
You didn't mention your demographics, but I'm a white man, and when I lived in Chicago, I waited for the #15 bus at both of those stops a number of times, including fairly late at night, and never had a problem or felt particularly unsafe. Obviously, those are relatively high-crime areas, but there's always a lot of traffic of all kinds around those stops, and I'm pretty sure that if you don't do anything stupid, you'll be fine. As with anywhere else, just act like you belong there, be aware of your surroundings, don't cause trouble, don't look like an obvious target, and there's really no reason for anybody to mess with you. Is it an ideal solution? Probably not. Are you going to be just as safe and as comfortable there as you would be on a Sunday morning in the suburbs? No, but it's doable, and it wouldn't seem like a reason to not try those routes home, unless you're exceptionally vulnerable or skittish. Just my two cents.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
The Garfield stop on the red line is the best lit, safest option. 47th and the Dan Ryan is less open and less traveled. Stay off the green line after dark is you don't have good urban moves.

I take the #2 home evenings. The last one leaves downtown about 7 and I always get a seat. It goes the same way as the #15 on 51st street so it should be a good option for you. If you want fast, take the #6 south from downtown to 51st st and then the #15 or #172 down 51st street to your destination.

I don't know why you have to stand on the #2 in the mornings, except if you board past 51st street at the peak times. Try leaving earlier.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The Garfield stop on the red line is the best lit, safest option. 47th and the Dan Ryan is less open and less traveled. Stay off the green line after dark is you don't have good urban moves.

I take the #2 home evenings. The last one leaves downtown about 7 and I always get a seat. It goes the same way as the #15 on 51st street so it should be a good option for you. If you want fast, take the #6 south from downtown to 51st st and then the #15 or #172 down 51st street to your destination.

I don't know why you have to stand on the #2 in the mornings, except if you board past 51st street at the peak times. Try leaving earlier.
I've never had to stand in the am. I have taken the #2 a few times around 645am and it's been quick. It's coming home around 5 or 530pm where it has been taking forever to get out of downtown so I thought perhaps I could take the train and link up with the bus.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
I'd recommend the 47th Street Red Line on this one. It looks a little more inconvenient than the green line on the map, but I think it's probably the safest of the options here. You can basically walk right out of the station and into the bus that's waiting, as the #15 waits at that station for a few minutes before leaving. If it's not there, you can just hang out in the station until it shows up. What I don't like about the Garfield station is that you have to cross the street to wait for the bus, and the other side of Garfield sees much lower foot traffic. That said, I really doubt that you'd run into problems during the rush hour commute.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
If I were you, I would still take the METRA home in the afternoons, with the mile walk on all but the worst of days. On the average mid-winter day in Chicago, it is in the mid teens in the morning, and the low 30s in the afternoon. Especially if the sun is out, low 30s is pretty tolerable for a mile walk once you have gotten acclimated to the colder weather in winter.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
If I were you, I would still take the METRA home in the afternoons, with the mile walk on all but the worst of days. On the average mid-winter day in Chicago, it is in the mid teens in the morning, and the low 30s in the afternoon. Especially if the sun is out, low 30s is pretty tolerable for a mile walk once you have gotten acclimated to the colder weather in winter.
I agree, I would just bundle up. You'll save time and worry.

Plus you'll be moving pretty much the whole time. In my experience, if how to stay warm is the question, "waiting for a bus transfer" is about the worst answer possible.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 09-15-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
No. If the #2 is too crowded just take the #6 to 51st street. It runs very frequently and has the articulated buses. If a person is in the west loop or near Union Station, take the X28 bus. Then a transfer can be made to the #2, #15 or #172 down 51st street.

Metra runs too infrequently and in winter the platforms are too windy. Discounted transfer from Metra to a bus is not available -- two fares would be required.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Thought about it, however then you end up not getting either pass - CTA or Metra thus not allowing you to take advantage of unlimited monthly access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago