U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Elgin, IL
1,711 posts, read 1,720,957 times
Reputation: 1072
MassVT, I'm curious, are you a former Chicagoan or have some sort of tie to the city? I see you pretty often here. I spend a fair amount of time reading the Mass forum, would love to live out there for a while.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Chicago
817 posts, read 617,252 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Sarcasm aside, a good post; there's no reason for someone to languish in Duluth when bigger and better things await in Minneapolis or Chicago; you don't get "bonus" points for making sacrifices while staying put in a small city..

BTW, Minneapolis is actually a great place to live, and has enjoyed a solid reputation for many years..
Heh, sorry -- sarcasm is my native tongue. Also, I actually lived in Mpls for a few years and wasn't thrilled, but to each his own.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM
 
4,988 posts, read 3,989,343 times
Reputation: 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
MassVT, I'm curious, are you a former Chicagoan or have some sort of tie to the city? I see you pretty often here. I spend a fair amount of time reading the Mass forum, would love to live out there for a while.
I'm a frequent Chicago visitor, and I lived in Madison, WI for a short time, so I've become familiar with various parts of the city. People around here are convinced that I used to live in Chicago, because I'm always visiting. There's a possibility that I may wind up in Chicago eventually, but it depends largely upon what transpires here in Boston. I wouldn't mind a change, but it really has to be worth it. Maybe I'll just retire in Evanston..

Let me know if you have questions about Boston. If you ever move, make sure that you have a job in place beforehand, and bring plenty of money. Real estate prices are hideous here, and even rentals require thousands of dollars to move into. And, if you aren't naturally surly or obnoxious, it may help to develop these "qualities" when you arrive, to blend in with the natives....I'm exaggerating? Only a little...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
 
4,988 posts, read 3,989,343 times
Reputation: 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Hear, hear! I'm from Los Angeles, lived in the SF Bay Area, and now live here in Chicago. There are tons of transplants in these towns, yet no shortage of attitude from natives about people invading their territory. But that's what's so dynamic about big cities; they're constantly in flux, always moving, always shedding people going on to the next thing, but still always attracting others. That's what makes these places interesting to live. It's when you go to some place like, say, Duluth, MN where the same people will live in the same place ten years after they're dead that you realize that new people and the vibrancy that draws them there is what makes large cities great.

Oh yeah, Minnesota is the big time! Kids from San Diego save up their dimes eager for the next Greyhound to Minneapolis. Living the dream.
Kids from San Diego saving their dimes for a Greyhound bus to Minneapolis don't exactly reflect positively on San Diego..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Chicago
817 posts, read 617,252 times
Reputation: 1012
Little jokey joke, meaning people don't move to Minneapolis, especially from "one of the big times" as Mpls was comically described.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Elgin, IL
1,711 posts, read 1,720,957 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm a frequent Chicago visitor, and I lived in Madison, WI for a short time, so I've become familiar with various parts of the city. People around here are convinced that I used to live in Chicago, because I'm always visiting. There's a possibility that I may wind up in Chicago eventually, but it depends largely upon what transpires here in Boston. I wouldn't mind a change, but it really has to be worth it. Maybe I'll just retire in Evanston..

Let me know if you have questions about Boston. If you ever move, make sure that you have a job in place beforehand, and bring plenty of money. Real estate prices are hideous here, and even rentals require thousands of dollars to move into. And, if you aren't naturally surly or obnoxious, it may help to develop these "qualities" when you arrive, to blend in with the natives....I'm exaggerating? Only a little...

I actually AM a bit surly and obnoxious. Moving is just a dream, I'd love to live on the Cape or an island, but need tons of $$ 1st. Somehow the lotto gods are not favoring me ;-)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
 
4,988 posts, read 3,989,343 times
Reputation: 4272
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I actually AM a bit surly and obnoxious. Moving is just a dream, I'd love to live on the Cape or an island, but need tons of $$ 1st. Somehow the lotto gods are not favoring me ;-)
Hey, you're halfway there; now, empty your pockets...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Elgin, IL
1,711 posts, read 1,720,957 times
Reputation: 1072
that and what's under the couch cushions might buy me a cup of coffee ;-)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Wicker Park/East Village area
1,827 posts, read 1,544,989 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
that and what's under the couch cushions might buy me a cup of coffee ;-)
I like coffee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
 
4,779 posts, read 5,183,208 times
Reputation: 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Just look at the recent threads of people and where they are moving from.
You see Michigan, Texas, Florida , New York, California.
Sure, yes you get people from all over, but seriously:

You know as well as I do, that if you look at the overall trends on not just recent threads of people who moved or are looking to move, most of the transplants in the Chicago come from the region that Chicago is part of: The industrial Midwest. Period. Ohio and Michigan taking the cake. (once you get to Pittsburgh, you are halfway between NYC and Chicago, so you might have a heavier pull for those who move to a bigger city with more career opportunities.

Sure theres people who move from Texas, Florida, California, and New York. But thats more anecdotal. People relocate to countless places for countless reasons. If you were to look at the stats, I'm sure you would see more people moving from Illinois to those states than vice versa.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top