Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 5,873 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are relocating from St. Louis to Chicago for her job. We are both in our early 20's and enjoyed the energy in the wicker park area. We were only in town for a few days but found an apartment we both liked and I just wanted to get a little more info on the area. I guess it would be considered east of wicker park on North Cleaver St. Basically across the street from Pulaski Park (Softball field/pool is front window view). Its been kind of tricky finding info on the are as there is a pulaski park neighborhood but isnt by pulaski park. We live in St. Louis City now and I was just wondering the general feel of the area/safety? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
That area is often called "East Wicker Park" these days. If you want to stay in the neighborhood overnight next time, there's a B&B there called House of Two Urns. It's higher density than the rest of Wicker Park -- a remnant of when the whole neighborhood was an overcrowded Polish slum.

There always seem to be lots of kids on the street there, the highway noise can be a bit much, street parking is tough, it's a bit of a bear having to cross Ashland to get anywhere, and politically it's the final Rostenkowski redoubt. Yet of half a dozen friends who've lived there over the past ten years (including a 4'9" single woman), I can't remember anyone having safety concerns. If you're moving from StL city you'll be fine.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 PM

175 posts, read 637,305 times
There's a plethora of threads on "safety" in the city. It really doesn't matter where you live in the city, there is going to be crime. I have a friend that lives in that area and he said overall it isn't bad, but he's seen muggings first hand. I don't know much about that area myself, but my friend who's in his 30s seems to like it and other than occasional mugggings, he hasn't seen anything that would impact his safety.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I can't remember anyone having safety concerns. If you're moving from StL city you'll be fine.
Lol... Exactly. Thanks for the info, its just been such a crazy month offered promotion first week of September, report first week of October. Only gave us a 3 day trip to find a place but we both really liked the apartment size 1000 sq ft and the area seemed nice enough. We're both really excited for the move.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
I really like that area. It's cool to me how ridiculously fancy Wicker Park has become while Ashland Avenue and the streets to the East have somehow escaped all of that and still look and feel like a Mexican port-of-entry neighborhood. Expect a lot of people around your place in the summer (I've never seen a small park so damn crowded) and I hope you're not getting gouged on rent (though that happens anywhere), but other than that, I think you'll have a good time.

Where in St Louis are you moving from? I am familiar with the city and am considering the reverse of your move in the future.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I really like that area. It's cool to me how ridiculously fancy Wicker Park has become while Ashland Avenue and the streets to the East have somehow escaped all of that and still look and feel like a Mexican port-of-entry neighborhood. Expect a lot of people around your place in the summer (I've never seen a small park so damn crowded) and I hope you're not getting gouged on rent (though that happens anywhere), but other than that, I think you'll have a good time.

Where in St Louis are you moving from? I am familiar with the city and am considering the reverse of your move in the future.
We are paying $1100 for rent but compared to the places the agent showed us in the same range I feel like were getting a steal. We actually like the idea of all the people in the summer going to the pool etc. we're coming from south city hampton/chippewa area, its a great area super close to everything. the one thing I was blown away by in chicago is public transport, st.louis is severely lacking.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Compared to the Southhampton/North Hampton area, crime is definitely going to be slightly higher in East Wicker Park. But I do know Bevo and Dutchtown have had some media-attention-worthy incidents this summer, and that's more along the lines of what you can expect of the area. You should be fine. I'm from St. Louis and lived in Wicker Park (but closer to the Damen el stop) for a year and we really loved it and I suspect you will too.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
As someone who lived in STL for school, then lived in Chicago for 13 years before moving back to STL last month, I've done a lot of neighborhood comparing.

You're moving to an area that is safe by STL standards. It's not as safe statistically as the outlying south city neighborhoods, but it is statistically more safe than places like Benton Park and Soulard and South Grand, let alone areas like Dutchtown, Benton Park West, etc.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
You're moving to an area that is safe by STL standards. It's not as safe statistically as the outlying south city neighborhoods, but it is statistically more safe than places like Benton Park and Soulard and South Grand, let alone areas like Dutchtown, Benton Park West, etc.
Thanks for putting it in perspective. We spend our weekends and free time in those neighborhoods now and thought about moving to soulard before the job switch came up. I think that is why we liked the Wicker Park area, lots of people around lots of places to go. Not a hipster by any means but I do like to people watch

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,847 times
Quote:
We are paying $1100 for rent but compared to the places the agent showed us in the same range I feel like were getting a steal. We actually like the idea of all the people in the summer going to the pool etc. we're coming from south city hampton/chippewa area, its a great area super close to everything. the one thing I was blown away by in chicago is public transport, st.louis is severely lacking.
If you are talking about the area east of Ashland and west of the highway then I'm not sure I agree. I used to live in St. Louis too and I think $1100 is quite steep for rent in your neighborhood. Was it a 2 bedroom place? A condo? Because you certainly won't get that in this area here in Chicago. I rented a nice renovated vintage South Grand apartment in St. Louis for $600 a month that had two balconies and an updated kitchen. So I guess that's why I'm wondering why you are paying $1100 for your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago