U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 8,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
This.

This is a very important consideration that many people forget about or simply don't realize until they look at why they don't have any money the last week of the month.

I was well-prepared when I moved to River North from Ravenswood, but was still a bit surprised how much more I ended up spending on "normal" things. It wasn't make-or-break for me, but I hadn't fully accounted for it before I moved here.

Living in a cheaper neighborhood is like choosing a studio not only for the cheaper rent but the cheaper electricity, etc. Also, if you have good self-control, living somewhere that's slightly inconvenient to go shopping from will also save you money because you won't just pop out to the store to get stuff, you'll be much more deliberate in your shopping.
These are all great points, but I also don't want to live somewhere completely out-of-the-way. Neither of us drink, so bars aren't really an issue, but we do like to occasionally go out to re-run theaters, skating rinks, or cheap restaurants. I know that 30,000 won't provide a lot of room for this kind of stuff, but it would be nice to not have to ride the bus for an hour whenever we do have enough money to go out.
Also, how long does it usually take to get to the loop from areas like Rogers Park? Just to get an idea of how far away it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I lived in one like that too... and well, in the winter, most of my purchases came from there as it was just too convenient. I had money at the time but, it can definitely add up!

thanks on the comments, I think it is something that is often overlooked by people wanting to try to scrape and live in the more expensive neighborhoods, all your daily purchases will be higher also, groceries, restaurants, that fan you might have needed the first hot day of summer, couple extra bucks on your brews at neighborhood pub everybody you meet likes to go to that makes more money than you...

well I think you get the picture.

Sure you can keep going out to other neighborhoods, but for most people, they live and play in their neighborhoods, and that neighborhood can change your perception of the city, at 70-100k people in a neighborhood, it's like the entire neighborhood has Ann Arbor packed into it for the OP, it pretty much IS a smaller city and the vibe can be great, or not so great depending on what you like, so choose wisely.

People often forget Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, when you move to Chicago, you also move to that neighborhood.
On the same note, though, I don't want to live in a run-down, out-of-the way neighborhood where there's nothing to do at all. If the neighborhood is where I'm going to live, I want to make sure it's one worth living in. I'd also like to be close enough to the main part of the city to be able to check out the museum on discount days without it being a hassle and stuff like that.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,923,580 times
I think you can do it. Here is one of the nicest I found in apartments. spacious 1 bedroom/close to brownline (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2616269576.html - broken link)

Problem is coming from another state, it wont be easy to pick out the apartments in the safer areas. A lot of them are in bad areas. But nevertheless looking at craigslist there are apartments in your price range in Wicker Park, depaul, southport corridor, evanston, forest park, lakeview, albany park, edgewater, and andersonville. these are all good areas except rogers park can be spotty in areas. If you shop at resale shops, buy food at aldi, dont have a car, I think you can do it. Your apt. might be really small, although it appears there are some one bedrooms at cheaper rents and some of them have heat included. there are also go cars you can rent in the city if you need a car for something. You dont need to go downtown for entertainment as there are theatres, bars and restaurants in the neighborhoods. rogers park is one of the areas farthest away from the downtown area. Its not that hard to get to the museums from places in chicago. If you jump on the red or brown line you can get there in thirty or so minutes or less from most places. sometimes in rush hour it could be longer. I am not sure how long it could take to get to downtown from rogers park but it also depends on how close you are to the el line. If you have to take a bus to connect to the L each connection can add a lot of time making the trip pokey like an hour or so. the buses are good but very slow. I took a bus the number 22 from downtown to andersonville and it took about an hour. pokey pokey but took me door to door. try to find a place near the L.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM

816 posts, read 856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsuck View Post
On the same note, though, I don't want to live in a run-down, out-of-the way neighborhood where there's nothing to do at all. If the neighborhood is where I'm going to live, I want to make sure it's one worth living in. I'd also like to be close enough to the main part of the city to be able to check out the museum on discount days without it being a hassle and stuff like that.
It won't be run down and out of the way...there are around 10 good neighborhood areas between Lakeview and Rogers Park you aren't even considering from North to Northwest. Also neighborhoods around the west/south which are good. It won't be difficult living somewhere other than lakeview...

Also, describing your lifestyle as:

--We eat out maybe once a week-- if that-- and usually keep the weekly grocery bill down to about $40 (we make stews and saves the leftovers).
-- We try to keep bills low by turning off the water in shower while we shampoo, using energy efficient lights, etc.
-- We both like to shop for clothes primarily at thrift or consignment stores, so we save a lot of money that way.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will even LIKE Lakeview... it isn't that type of place, it is geared towards the antithesis of your lifestyle. It would be almost pointless to live in Lakeview if that is how you are going to live and I could see you easily being rubbed the wrong way by your surrounding neighbors.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-25-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,707,273 times
Quote:
These are all great points, but I also don't want to live somewhere completely out-of-the-way. Neither of us drink, so bars aren't really an issue, but we do like to occasionally go out to re-run theaters, skating rinks, or cheap restaurants. I know that 30,000 won't provide a lot of room for this kind of stuff, but it would be nice to not have to ride the bus for an hour whenever we do have enough money to go out.
Also, how long does it usually take to get to the loop from areas like Rogers Park? Just to get an idea of how far away it is...
I did say "slightly inconvenient", not "move to the moon." :-)

Google Maps can provide transit directions between any two points in Chicago, including pretty accurate travel times. It defaults to giving you options based on the current time, though, so if you're looking at 3am on Sunday, you may want to change the time to something closer to when you'd do most of your traveling transit is less-frequent at 3am which can skew the numbers. But it's also useful so you can see what the travel time woudl be for commuting at 8am Tuesday vs. going to visit friends at 9pm Saturday.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
It won't be run down and out of the way...there are around 10 good neighborhood areas between Lakeview and Rogers Park you aren't even considering from North to Northwest. Also neighborhoods around the west/south which are good. It won't be difficult living somewhere other than lakeview...

Also, describing your lifestyle as:

--We eat out maybe once a week-- if that-- and usually keep the weekly grocery bill down to about $40 (we make stews and saves the leftovers).
-- We try to keep bills low by turning off the water in shower while we shampoo, using energy efficient lights, etc.
-- We both like to shop for clothes primarily at thrift or consignment stores, so we save a lot of money that way.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will even LIKE Lakeview... it isn't that type of place, it is geared towards the antithesis of your lifestyle. It would be almost pointless to live in Lakeview if that is how you are going to live and I could see you easily being rubbed the wrong way by your surrounding neighbors.
haha, maybe I have given off the wrong impression! I guess that being married and cheap makes us sound rather old and curmudgeon-y, but we're actually recent college grads who *do* have fun in spite of being poor. Right now, we're living off of waitressing and receptionist salaries in Ann Arbor, and our lifestyle is mostly just a way of saving money so that we actually can afford to have fun. Cutting down the electricity and meal costs means that we have extra cash to save for weekends in Detroit and stuff like that.
I suppose that if people in Lakeview will look down on that sort of thing then we should be looking somewhere else...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,707,273 times
Quote:
haha, maybe I have given off the wrong impression! I guess that being married and cheap makes us sound rather old and curmudgeon-y, but we're actually recent college grads who *do* have fun in spite of being poor. Right now, we're living off of waitressing and receptionist salaries in Ann Arbor, and our lifestyle is mostly just a way of saving money so that we actually can afford to have fun. Cutting down the electricity and meal costs means that we have extra cash to save for weekends in Detroit and stuff like that.
I suppose that if people in Lakeview will look down on that sort of thing then we should be looking somewhere else...
Logan Square has a discount cinema, access to the Blue Line, a couple really excellent restaurants, and many other good, inexpensive restaurants and bars. Adjacent to it is Avondale, parts of which also have access to the Blue Line. Both are "slightly inconvenient" to more expensive areas but have a lot of lower-priced services and stores. For example, just eight years ago I could get my haircut in Logan Square for $5 when the cheapest place I know of in Lakeview at the time was charging $13.

So that's probably where I'd recommend starting your search, if I were you. It also has a lot of people who have a similar life philosophy to you (based only on what you've written here, obviously).

Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM

816 posts, read 856,735 times
Quote:
They could sure. You might check out Logan Square/Wicker Park/Bucktown/Ukranian Village/Andersonville/North Center/Edgewater/Buena Park/Rogers Park around Loyola/Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/Southport (in lakeview)/Roscoe Village (in lakeview) instead. They are all cheaper and will probably fit your needs better. The Blue line might be slightly more inconvenient than the job in Lakeview... but I think according to your brief descriptions, you might like the areas off the blue line better anyhow as far as the rest of your life goes.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 1,669,543 times
You may quality for Renaissance apartments. They're some sort of middle-income housing, and they've got studios in Wicker Park, Bucktown and Old Town that are ~750-800 per month. What made me think to recommend them is that they have a maximum salary of around $30,000 for tenants.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,923,580 times
Yes some parts of Logan square can be good. My son has lived there twice and he has a very very low income. recent college grad looking for a job and working part time. His income is very low even compared to you and he has a car. well he is subsidized partly by his parents. be sure to move to the safer parts of Logan square as some parts I believe can be dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago