U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 AM

60 posts, read 82,826 times
You all are awesome! I started feeling a lot better and have turned most of what I'm feeling into just pure excitement over the last few hours...just needed to clear my head. Thanks for all the advice and help!!

You guys rock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,978,857 times
Congratulations on your decision.

You are so young and have so many opportunities that await you.

From your comments you will embrace the challenge, it takes courage to move away from home.

Sometimes moving away actually will draw you closer to your family then ever before in ways that you are not aware.

Congrats!!!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

8,042 posts, read 5,941,000 times
Sounds like you really have nothing to be worried about. Your home is in MI, you can easily visit as much as you like. Enjoy Chicago!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

248 posts, read 763,305 times
glad to hear.....ya know this city is home to alot of out of towners....lots of Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsion, Michigan people mostly cause it's the biggest nicest city. If they can do it then you can do.

this is gonna sound dumb but when ever I get stuck on something or feel unsure I ask myself

What would "The Rock" do in this a situation ? (replace the person with who seems fit)

If ya smell What the Rock is Cooking!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

5,067 posts, read 5,917,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
So, I did it. I made the decision to move to Chicago from Ann Arbor (area), Michigan.

I move in October 1st to a 2 bedroom apt in Lincoln Park. I'm excited about this move, I'm just really nervous. There are times when I get excited about starting new (I am 22 and have never moved out of my parents house) and then there are times where I feel emotional leaving my friends and family (mainly my sister and her baby).

I know it's not far, only 4 hours away by bus, it's just a huge stepping stone for me to be out on my own.

I'm a very independent person and not emotional at all, but all of a sudden I'm starting to get nervous about leaving. This is something I wanted to do my whole life-leave Michigan for a new place, and I'm finally doing it. It's been years and years of me talking and thinking about leaving, and now I'm FINALLY acting on it, and it's scary...Any advice I can get from you guys would be awesome...I could use it right now!
A SIGNIIFICANT percentage of people in Lincoln Park are those who moved there after going to school at U of M and Michigan state. It will almost be like you never left Ann Arbor. And I'm only partly being facetious.

Nothing to worry about.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM

5,067 posts, read 5,917,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vertgt View Post
glad to hear.....ya know this city is home to alot of out of towners....lots of Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsion, Michigan people mostly cause it's the biggest nicest city. If they can do it then you can do.

this is gonna sound dumb but when ever I get stuck on something or feel unsure I ask myself

What would "The Rock" do in this a situation ? (replace the person with who seems fit)

If ya smell What the Rock is Cooking!
Everyone always includes Iowa. As being a source of a lot of young adult transplants and includes it with Michigan. I really know few people from Iowa. And really for good reason.

Iowa only has 3 million people. Michigan has 10 million. Michigan has almost as many people as Illinois. Indiana and Wisconsin have 6 million and about 4-5 million people respectively.

The two states that have the most transplants are Michigan and Ohio, because they have total populations that are more like Illinois and are more urban than the other three (IA, IN, and WI). (Not a big transition moving from metro Detroit, Cleveland, or Cincinnati as they are urban areas) whereas moving from Wisconsin Rapids would indeed be a tougher transition. Milwaukee is the smallest of the big cities of the midwest and is a small % of WI population.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

248 posts, read 763,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Without transplants from places like Michigan, Chicago would have lost even more population than it has in the past ten years.

in all seriousness

^ True Statement.

I will loss count over all the friends/family that left Chicago due to living costs/weather. They all moved to Texas, Az, Cali, Nevada etc....

Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 5,941,000 times
I like Michigan. The people too.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM

816 posts, read 1,266,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Urbanophile did an analysis on people from IL leaving for IN. They were all poorer than the IN people that move to IL. In other words, we export to you our poor and uneducated and get the good college grads from IU and Purdue. Enjoy!
What about the overall numbers???? Which state is exporting more people to the other?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 PM

3,900 posts, read 2,096,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
What about the overall numbers???? Which state is exporting more people to the other?
or the more important question as i pointed out and the Illinoispolicy institute did how much tax money is lost. Every (Working) person is $$$ for the state in income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago