Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times

Advertisements

That's not the photo I saw, I saw one with a bike and a cheer outfit, taken from farther back, where details weren't clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,941,293 times
Drover, you just made me throw up in my mouth a bit.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
That's not the photo I saw, I saw one with a bike and a cheer outfit, taken from farther back, where details weren't clear.
That picture was way more alpha.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,774,777 times
LS has a few decent eateries, and a couple so-so apartment galleries... I hate going there because of all the uppity hipsters that think they're oh so urban with their ironic tattoos, ironic facial hair, ironically retro transportation, ironic message T's... They may not be violet like the gangs in the surrounding areas, but the damage they to do society with their self-congratulatory smugness could be considered equally detrimental.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,562,567 times
I'll take hipsters over gangbangers

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,501,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
They may not be violet like the gangs in the surrounding areas, but the damage they to do society with their self-congratulatory smugness could be considered equally detrimental.
I'm no fan of hipsters, but, bzzzz, big wrong. Smug & peace>keepin' it real violent. 100 times out of 100 times. There is no equality.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM

924 posts, read 2,094,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
They may not be violet like the gangs in the surrounding areas, but...
Thank goodness! I don't know about you all, but if there's one thing I absolutely can not and will not tolerate, it's a violet gang. Indigo, yes. Purple, perhaps, as long as it has a more reddish or pinkish hue. But violet? No chance. I say, let those damn violet gangs stay those surrounding areas!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,104,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'll take hipsters over gangbangers
I like hipsters. I do not like gangbangers.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,774,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Thank goodness! I don't know about you all, but if there's one thing I absolutely can not and will not tolerate, it's a violet gang. Indigo, yes. Purple, perhaps, as long as it has a more reddish or pinkish hue. But violet? No chance. I say, let those damn violet gangs stay those surrounding areas!
Mehehehehe...

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I like hipsters. I do not like gangbangers.
I think in a direct comparison there's really no contest here who are better neighbors.

BUT - the poor, the renters, the immigrants & 1st/2nd generation people are always going to look at hipsters not as an alternative to gangbangers, but rather as a harbinger for rising property values & taxes, higher rents, seeing their non-gang social fabrics torn to shreds, etc.

And at the end of the day, these folks know the story - they will end up having to leave a neighborhood in the name of "progress" and where ever they wind up, they know they will end up with gangbangers anyway. So, their attitude towards "hipsters" (if not white people in general) is going to reflect that. Look at the Cabrini Green residents who fought tooth and nail to stay in arguably the worst environment on planet Earth, or homeless people who stay in Chicago year-round even though if you are going to be on the street, you obviously would be better off somewhere it doesn't snow or drop below freezing temperature on a regular basis.

It's the old devil-you-know-is-better-than-the-devil-you-don't aspect of human nature.

That is a tough dynamic to change. It's a tougher nut to crack to get both children of relative-privilege (shopping at a thrift store by choice doesn't count) to learn how to integrate with the existing people, as well as to get the existing people to realize they have a responsibility to help assimilate newcomers into their neighborhoods.

You can learn something from the protests happening now, which is that capitalism doesn't care about skin color or have a value system. It feeds on itself, and favors the ruthless and those with deep, deep pockets. I guarantee none of us qualify - the top 1% hires people to read and post on boards like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago