Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM

61 posts, read 225,550 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have decided to move from NYC to Chicago. After many discussions we have decided that it's time for a fresh start.... NYC is too expensive...We are both 29 and feel like we're still young to make the transition. My brother moved to Chicago (lives in Skokie) about 4 years ago and loves it... he's been trying to get us to move out there since he got there.... I just have a few concern about moving out there and was hoping that someone could help out. There are 3 main issues I am curious about.... Housing, Job Market and Transportation.

Housing - We would be looking to rent either in the suburbs or somewhere nice in the City of Chicago.

Transportation - Living in NYC there is really no need to own a car... Gas Prices are ridiculous, Insurance is through the roof... and there is so much public transportation you really don't need one.... Will not having a car be a major issue living in Chicago???

Job Market - I work for a Title Insurance Company and have 5 years experience, I also prepare income taxes during that season. My girlfriend just recieved her BA in Liberal Arts and is open to jobs.

Can anyone help us???? Any websites, references? agencies????

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by loufalu; 08-22-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: needed to add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
There are tons of great neighborhoods in Chicago. It all depends on what you're looking for. Party scene? Intellectuals? Hipsters? Family oriented? Theres something for everyone. But the neighborhood/suburb you choose will probably tie into transportation, since you dont want a car. The L is nowhere near the level of the NY subway, but then again little else is (with the exception of London). You will be able to get pretty much to the proximity of any destination in the city limits by the L, and then either walk or transfer to a bus. There are also hundreds of miles of bike lanes in the city limits as well. So yes, you can definitely easily live your life out in the city w/o a car. However, the further you move out to the suburbs, the more difficult this will be. I wouldnt look any further than the most inner suburbs.

As far as jobs, you should have zero problem finding something in insurance/accounting. Same goes for a liberal arts degree. The job market in Chicago is very robust.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Have you tried reading through some of the threads here in the Chicago forum? A lot of these questions have already been asked and answered, some several times.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Thank you guys for your help!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:11 PM

24 posts, read 103,424 times
Wink Some Chicago Resources for You

I can help you with two of your concerns: transportation and where to live.

First off, you'll want to familiarize yourselves with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and their website: transitchicago.com. If you are a 'speed commuter' and every minute counts when you're traveling, you'll probably want to live somewhere near an "El" stop. If a more leisurely commute is acceptable, then any one of the bus lines could possibly serve your needs. Quite honestly, when I don't have a second to spare, I completely ignore the buses - cabs and trains get me where I need to be faster. Also, CTA commuting to/from the suburbs isn't very prevalent; with the exception of Skokie and Evanston suburbs to the North. Skokie residents take the Yellow line to the Red line while Evanstonians catch the Purple line to the Red (during rush periods the Purple line runs express to downtown, as well as serving Evanston); both Yellow and Purple train lines have limited service, but are quite dependable during rush periods.

Considering your age and profession, I'm guessing the neighborhoods in the city you might be interested in will be Roscoe Village, Lakeview and Lakeview East, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Edgewater, Andersonville, Edgewater Beach, Hollywood Park, Buena Park, Wrigleyville, and Rogers Park on the North Side; Bucktown and Wicker Park on the near West Side; and University Village, Little Italy, and Bridgeport on the South Side. I know I'm not supposed to plug my company's website, but our neighborhood section really goes into detail on each of these neighborhoods: ChicagoHomeEstates.com/neighborhood.

You'll also want to familiarize yourselves with the City's website, especially the resident's section here:
egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalChannelAction.do?topChannelName=Residents. I cannot lie, though: the City's website is infamously, notoriously, annoyingly slow but the information on the site is invaluable and very difficult to find anywhere else.

Well, that's a good start for you. Other great resources are: Metromix.chicagotribune.com
chicagoreader.com
chicagoareahousing.com
and notfortourists.com/cityMain.aspx?city=CH

Hope some of this has helped. Good Luck and welcome to Chicago!!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Condos View Post
If you are a 'speed commuter' and every minute counts when you're traveling, you'll probably want to live somewhere near an "El" stop.
Better yet, you'll want to live near a Metra station.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 103,424 times
Thanks, Drover! I'm a master at missing the obvious!! lol

The Metra's site: metrarail.com. The rates are extremely affordable and economical, however, the stations are much more spread out (as expected). I recommend the Ravenswood, Ravenswood Gardens, Ravenswood Manor, and Lincoln Square neighborhoods, again based on your ages and professions.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
My most blissful commutes were when I lived within spitting distance to the Metra station in Ravenswood. I really should consider moving back up there.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Metra rides are wayyyy faster & reliable when compared to those lumbering CTA trains! CTA trains where bums sleep in overnight, and you may accidentally slip on a stale chicken wing or someone's pee! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
My most blissful commutes were when I lived within spitting distance to the Metra station in Ravenswood. I really should consider moving back up there.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Well last night my girlfriend and I were looking into Lincoln Park or Hyde Park... are those decent areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago