Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Lol i can't believe the people on this forum. did someone really say Cicero!? HAHA!

But you cant get a lot of "Schaumburg" Suburbs close to Downtown. The closer to the city the older the Suburbs are. So the "Schaumburg" Suburbs are gonna be out in the outskirts of town. You could check out Naperville but its still far from downtown. You can take the Metra to downtown from Naperville though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 17,437 times
You can actually take the Metra to Chicago from Schaumburg. All the Merta users in Schaumburg use the Schaumburg station or the Roselle station.

I also dont think Schaumburg is that far from Downtown Chicago

Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Closest the OP is going to get to a Schaumburg type place near Chicago. Still wondering where the OP is from.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
There are tons of suburbs similar or better than schaumburg. Most are not that close to places in chicago. The suburbs that are close to Chicago are very densely populated and not like Schaumburg. Many though have good transportation to the city. I don't like Schaumburg because as another poster mentioned it does not have a central town core. I prefer the towns having this, they are much nicer.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 PM

225 posts, read 755,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyhoo View Post
similar to Schuamburg?

So I really like the look/feel of schaumburg but hate how far it is from downtown. So what would be the CLOSEST suburb to downtown that has the schaumburg look/feel?
As others have suggested, I'd recommend that you take the El or the Metra and check out both Oak Park and Oak Brook. Oak Park is served by both the El and Metra. Walk around in both of them in the daytime and the evening, visit a cafe or a restaurant or something, and get a feel for both of them. See what vibe each of them gives you, and let us know what you think. Based on what you find there, that could give us a feel for what you like.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM

11 posts, read 37,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyhoo View Post
LOL, ok. let me rephrase again.

What is the closest UPSCALE suburb to downtown?

cicero seems a little run down.
I currently live in Schaumburg and spent a few years living in the city as well so maybe I can help...

Look at Oak Park, Oakbrook, and Skokie.

Oak Park has a bit of a city feel but is less congested. There is some shopping, a couple decent restaurants/bars, and you have CTA access and Metra access to the city.
Problem is that it is still extremely congested compared to Schaumburg and it's surrounded by crappy neighborhoods.

Oakbrook is a nice, but expensive suburb. It feels very much like Schaumburg since it has a huge mall, a lot of the same restaurants as Schaumburg, but is closer to the city. Oakbrook is about a 20 min drive into the city with no traffic, 45min with traffic, and the Metra ride is only about 25 minutes.

Skokie is a northern suburb that also has a mall (Old Orchard) and several restaurants. It's a bit further from the loop than Oakbrook or Oak Park but it's still closer than Schaumburg.

I'm not positive, but I think Schaumburg tends to have a bit of a younger population than those places so I'm not sure if that'll affect your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago