Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 25,452 times

Advertisements

Hi All.

It's looking like I am going to get an offer for around $60K to move to Chicago. I want to live in a modern style studio or one bedroom apartement with nice counters/cabinetry. Prefer to have carpeting and central heating and air. Looking to live in a trendy area close to downtown. My office will be in the loop. I like the social scene.. although I don't drink I like to be where the action is. Fashion, art, music, sports, coffee shops, restaurants.... all that.

I like to stay fit so finding a nice gym and being near a grocery store is important.

Also, I think I will sell my car before moving and just use public transportation.

How much should I plan to spend per month on the following:
Public Transportation
Rent
Heat & Electric (average for all year)
High Speed Wireless Internet
Cable
Gym Membership

Again, I want to live in a nice area that is safe and convenient. I don't want to spend 45 minutes on a train to and from work. I have looked a bit on craigslist for pricing but I don't know where exactly to look so it's tough to get an idea of what I am looking at for a rent payment.

Lastly, do the buildings tend to be sound proof from one apartment to your neighbor? I am a music producer and I don't want to move into a place with this walls.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
The salary debate has happened too often as of late. For some people 60k is more then they can spend, others will be eating ramen all the time. IMO not bringing your car will save you a boat load in parking, insurance, tickets, ect. I cant imagine how much $ I would save if I didnt drink.

Public Transportation $86 a month for unlimited CTA use, possibly pre tax depending on your employer.
Rent $900-1300 is a good range for a decent studio-1br apt
Heat & Electric (average for all year) $150
High Speed Wireless Internet $50
Cable $50
Gym Membership $75

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
The salary debate has happened too often as of late. For some people 60k is more then they can spend, others will be eating ramen all the time. IMO not bringing your car will save you a boat load in parking, insurance, tickets, ect. I cant imagine how much $ I would save if I didnt drink.

Public Transportation $86 a month for unlimited CTA use, possibly pre tax depending on your employer.
Cable $50
Gym Membership $75
Thanks - I should not have titled the post like I did. I see what you are saying. Much appreciated!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
You'll find few Chicago places have carpet -- hardwoods are far more common. And no, most apartments are in no way sound proofed, though some are obviously better than others.

By nice countertops I'll assume you mean granite -- that would be extremely taxing on your budget as you'd essentially be looking at condos or very high-end apartments. I think you may need to revisit your expectations -- it's relatively easy to live on the sum you're proposing, but it doesn't sound, to me, as if you've spent much time in Chicago. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You'll find few Chicago places have carpet -- hardwoods are far more common. And no, most apartments are in no way sound proofed, though some are obviously better than others.

By nice countertops I'll assume you mean granite -- that would be extremely taxing on your budget as you'd essentially be looking at condos or very high-end apartments. I think you may need to revisit your expectations -- it's relatively easy to live on the sum you're proposing, but it doesn't sound, to me, as if you've spent much time in Chicago. I highly recommend it.
Not necessarily granite.. I just don't want 1980's style decor. I like more of a modern look. Thanks for your reply Sayer of True Stuff, lol. nice.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 32,645 times
Quote:

Cable $50
Gym Membership $75

Where are you getting high speed for $50? Is this a Comcast bundle price? I ask because I'm ravenous to ditch Comcast but can't find a better option.

Regarding 60k, are we talking about the high rise lifestyle or the neighborhood lifestyle? Someone who was savvy and grew up in the city could live like a king on 60k. On the other hand, if you are used to what 60k buys in somewhere like Cleveland, and you decide to move into a Gold Coast highrise, you are going to need to implement a Greek style austerity plan.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
For comparison, I lived in Wicker Park a couple years back and paid $1195 for my apartment, which would be doable on your salary, though getting somewhat close to tight.

We were close to the el, had easy access to downtown via the blue line and our neighborhood was interesting, walkable and vibrant. our apartment was built in the 30s as a coach house behind the orginally building out front to bring in additional rental. It was a clean space and the hardwoods were in relatively good shape, but the kitchen appliances were white, old and not at all efficient and we had those cheap countertops from the late 70s/early 80s that are supposed to look like butcher block but don't at all.

Safety, proximity to the loop and cheap -- in Chicago, they say, you can easily get two out of three, but you can't have them all. For a nicer apartment, you'll have to be farther from the loop.

Additionally, you might be able to find a nicer place close to the loop in your budget, but it'd have to be astudio/junior 1 bedroom. I would look in the South Loop -- good prices on new buildings there. Maybe something like this place: *Best Deal* Utilities Included! Great Floor Plan! NO SECURITY DEPOSI (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2646974953.html - broken link)

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
[quote=BuckMulligan;21269503]Where are you getting high speed for $50? Is this a Comcast bundle price? I ask because I'm ravenous to ditch Comcast but can't find a better option.

quote]

I move just about every year or two and keep getting Comcasts 'new' customer pricing. Right now Im paying $20 a month for xfinity internet for the first 12 months and $35 for the 2nd year.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 AM

15 posts, read 32,645 times
[quote=long101;21269609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMulligan View Post
Where are you getting high speed for $50? Is this a Comcast bundle price? I ask because I'm ravenous to ditch Comcast but can't find a better option.

quote]

I move just about every year or two and keep getting Comcasts 'new' customer pricing. Right now Im paying $20 a month for xfinity internet for the first 12 months and $35 for the 2nd year.

Ah yes, the parlay! I agree, that is the gold standard of strategies. My problem is that I work from home and Comcast is not reliable enough. I'd like to start a thread about it but I feel like its going to draw a bunch of stealth marketers.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM

537 posts, read 1,028,507 times
[quote=BuckMulligan;21269752]
Quote:

Ah yes, the parlay! I agree, that is the gold standard of strategies. My problem is that I work from home and Comcast is not reliable enough. I'd like to start a thread about it but I feel like its going to draw a bunch of stealth marketers.
Don't want to completely derail this thread but I also have Comcast and work from home 3 days per week or so and I think I've had one outage in 3 years and it was just a DNS issue which was easy to work around.

I'm on their cheapest tier and consistently get 30/6mb speeds. I just ran this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago