U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM

29 posts, read 16,039 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My girlfriend is moving from Kansas City to Chicago here in a couple months, and has taken a job in Skokie. She's going to be managing a restaurant near the Old Orchard Mall. But, as opposed to living in Skokie, she'd much rather live within Chicago city limits. As I'm well aware traffic is a beast in Chicago, I'm trying to find her a spot where the commute won't be too bad, but keeps her in walking distance of bars/restaurants/the el. She's going to have a car, but keep in mind as far as traffic goes, the restaurant manager has odd hours: sometimes having to be at work at 8 AM, other times coming back home at midnight. But, by and large, she'll only be commuting during typical rush hour 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

Being an unmarried 26-year-old woman, her initial research drew her to Wicker Park, Bucktown, and Logan Square. Any ideas what typical commute times from these neighborhoods to Skokie would look like at peak and non-peak times? I've been nerding out trying to analyze some traffic patterns online, but they really only show the expressways. I did read somewhere that the the east/west sidestreets tend to have worse traffic than the north/south, so I figured if she lived due south of Skokie, it might ease some traffic stress for her.

Any other areas that we should be taking a look at? (We're coming up this Friday to take a look at places). Cost is only somewhat an issue (she can afford a $1000 place by herself), but commute, safety, and access to public transport are the key sticking points.

Thanks again.

Chris
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM

721 posts, read 970,352 times
She could take the Purple Line Express or Red Line to Howard, take the Yellow Line to Dempster, and then a bus to Old Orchard. It's only about a two mile ride.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,354,349 times
Well, near Old Orchard is a bit north from Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square. During non peak times, 90/94 shouldn't be too bad. But during peak times, it's going to suck. My wife and I drive to Old Orchard from Andersonville all of the time, and it's generally a pretty meh drive for us (we're way north of Bucktown/Wicker Park.)

If you don't take 90/94, you'd have to pick a place that has good, easy access to Lincoln Ave (Rt 41. )

If you want some type of cool/ urban feel, yould could also check out Evanston, which is right next door to Skokie. But it definitely DOES NOT feel like Bucktown/Wicker Park.

C/N - prepare for a potentially crappy commute to Skokie if you choose west/northwest side neighborhoods in Chicago.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the first bits of advice. A note on the yellow line: doesn't run on weekends, correct? And a restaurant manager most certainly does. So she's assuming she's going to have to drive quite often. If I looked at northern neighborhoods that had access to the red line thereby also the yellow line, (Andersonville/Edgewater/etc.), what's that do to a driving commute?

Chris

EDIT: Also, no buses run to Old Orchard late night, so when she closes the restaurant, she'd HAVE to drive. (Unless I'm reading the CTA website incorrectly, which is definitely possible)

Last edited by JayhawkCO; 10-17-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM

721 posts, read 970,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
Thanks for the first bits of advice. A note on the yellow line: doesn't run on weekends, correct? And a restaurant manager most certainly does. So she's assuming she's going to have to drive quite often. If I looked at northern neighborhoods that had access to the red line thereby also the yellow line, (Andersonville/Edgewater/etc.), what's that do to a driving commute?

Chris
It runs on weekends. I believe it stops running at 11 on Weekdays and 12 on Weekends.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
It runs on weekends. I believe it stops running at 11 on Weekdays and 12 on Weekends.
Don't know how I got that it closed on weekends; it must have been an outdated source or something. Thanks for the correction.

Chris

Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM

7,920 posts, read 5,691,249 times
I would look into Andersonville and Lincoln Square.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
My wife and I drive to Old Orchard from Andersonville all of the time, and it's generally a pretty meh drive for us (we're way north of Bucktown/Wicker Park.)
"Meh" = Less than thirty minutes at peak time?

Chris

Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM

347 posts, read 437,639 times
Lincoln Square would probably be your best bet. Don't think that would be too bad of a drive most of the time.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,216,713 times
hipster central to logan will be an hour plus easy during regular commuting hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago