Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:07 AM

76 posts, read 278,448 times

Advertisements

I've just moved to Chi-town. I work near the red CNA building in the Loop. I'm looking to buy a townhouse somewhere close to work (15-20 mins by train).

What areas would you recommend for someone who wants to have all the major shops (starbucks, walgreen...) around, easy access to the brown/red line, be surrounded with young professionals in the 20's-30's, be close to downtown, enjoy the city lifestyle, quiet and safe area ...

Can I realistically get a townhouse with 2,3 beds 2 baths for under $400k in that area?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Townhouse... pushing it. Condo... no problem.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macno0b View Post
I've just moved to Chi-town. I work near the red CNA building in the Loop. I'm looking to buy a townhouse somewhere close to work (15-20 mins by train).

What areas would you recommend for someone who wants to have all the major shops (starbucks, walgreen...) around, easy access to the brown/red line, be surrounded with young professionals in the 20's-30's, be close to downtown, enjoy the city lifestyle, quiet and safe area ...

Can I realistically get a townhouse with 2,3 beds 2 baths for under $400k in that area?

Thanks,
Professional psychiatric care is my recommendation.

Actually, you might be able to find something in the 1980s developments in the South Loop, or in the "mixed-income" developments north of Division near Halsted. Neither will be fancy, but there may be a few townhomes in those two criteria that more or less meet your criteria with a few caveats.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I think the OP needs to clarify what they mean by townhouse. Certainly there are places with the "everything built with common elements" style that are part of HOAs and all those negatives that are really more like condo because they stack other units under/ over yours that would be in the price range quoted. To get a place that is has nothing by your space to the roof and down to a private parking / garage area is probably going to be hard to pull off EXCEPT for the developments that have busted out HOAs and/or too many non-owner occupied units so that only cash deals are possible...

Rowhouse style townhouses with no shared elements are rare and still out of price category for the most part unless you go to unpopular locations.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times
As Emathias said the only thing that comes to mind is the mixed-income development at Halsted and Division built over Cabrini.

That being said...I don't really know the cost of townhomes in places like Wrigleyville, all those nice ones north of Boystown, Uptown. It might be possible.

Nice townhomes in the Gold Coast/Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Old Town area, no. They would be far more expensive. You might in some areas find some run-down one off or something...

I guess the point of my post is that if I think of someone looking to buy a townhome in one of the more desirable neighborhoods, including Ukie Village/Wicker Park or West Town area, the number that comes to mind would generally be about twice what you propose. But, as I said, Chicago is a big city and things change street to street, block to block. I guess it really depends on your absolute commitment to buying a townhome and how many other things you're willing to sacrifice to get it. (Neighborhood, quality of the house, etc.)

Some of the most beautiful townhomes and neighborhoods in my view are those down west Huron, Erie and that area as far west as the Damen/Western border. That's not really a 'hip' neighborhood but there is an abundance of amazing townhomes there. I doubt you would be able to get into anything new but you might find something worth looking at for that price out there.

But in practical terms, I would say the answer is no.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the reply guys. I meant townhouse as a place that has nothing by my space from roof to parking. What about short sell, foreclosures townhouse in Oldtown, lakeview, west town ...?

How do you guys think of the "mixed income" development? Is it by the new Apple Store? I drove by before. The area looked not too bad.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:16 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times
Your first question, I don't know.

Regarding the second question, it is a nice development. It's like an experiment, I think it mixes government subsidy housing with normal condo buyers. Let's put it this way it's been open for several years and they still are trying to get people to buy in.

It probably had some momentum when it opened and I would guess the momentum has stopped and it is basically a loser. They're still marketing new units years after it opened; hopes of reselling your used unit if you want to leave are probably not very good.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 PM

After reading up online, I don't think I want to risk having the hassles living with the section 8 people. How much do I expect to pay for a nice Townhouse with the criteria in the first post in Old Town?

I might have to consider condo. How is the condo market in Old Town, Lakeview, West town ...?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macno0b View Post
After reading up online, I don't think I want to risk having the hassles living with the section 8 people. How much do I expect to pay for a nice Townhouse with the criteria in the first post in Old Town?

I might have to consider condo. How is the condo market in Old Town, Lakeview, West town ...?
Why not just go retain a real estate agent?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Townhouse... pushing it. Condo... no problem.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago