Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

My point still stands though. If someone doesn't think there is any good Mexican outside of Pilsen or Little Village they need to get out more.

No doubt of that. There are so many Mexican joints all over the city the only general statement I think reasonable would be to say there's probably good Mexican in all parts of the city; who could have tried them all? Just drive down Pulaski (Crawford as Drover calls it) from the Stevenson to 63rd St and you must pass at least a dozen of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Did you know there's one in Avondale now, in the old Pepe's space?
Say what?! Gotta google that ASAP, I'm not familiar with the location. Dude, you made my day, thanks!

edit: found link:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-asadas-chicago-4

gets worse reviews than the one on Western, but it's relatively new.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Say what?! Gotta google that ASAP, I'm not familiar with the location. Dude, you made my day, thanks!

Yep, over on Pulaski between Belmont and Milwaukee, right on that goofy Belmont/Pulaski/Milwaukee triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
edit: found link:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-asadas-chicago-4

gets worse reviews than the one on Western, but it's relatively new.
Been there for over a year now. I have no complaints about it; doesn't seem any different from one on Western. I've also been to the one in Des Plaines. They seem pretty consistent across locations, so... take the Yelp complaints about this one with a grain of salt. :shrug:

Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Yeah marquette park area and north has a bunch.
Cermak from cicero to harlem
Lawrence and montrose got a few scattered
The rest are scattered like specs on the northside .. fullerton armitage north belmont

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Been there for over a year now. I have no complaints about it; doesn't seem any different from one on Western. I've also been to the one in Des Plaines. They seem pretty consistent across locations, so... take the Yelp complaints with a grain of salt. :shrug:
Absolutely. Yelp seems to bring out the extremes, either the people gushing with praise or complaining about any old damned thing ("I couldn't find a place to park, wahhhhh!")

Old 10-28-2011, 09:14 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I hate yelp.

all these places I used to go to that where not as packed are now completely packed thanks to stupid yelp

Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I hate yelp.

all these places I used to go to that where not as packed are now completely packed thanks to stupid yelp
Yelp is handily the worst thing to happen to going out.

Some hipster douche will find an unpopuluar place, then score cool cred by sharing his unique, authentic find with the rest of the world, and before you know it, that sh*thole on the corner that even homeless people were afraid of is packed to the gills every Friday night.

There's this one bar in Los Angeles that is a dive among dives -- I'm not kidding. It's in the heart of Skid Row, a patently dangerous place, and no one in their right mind would go there at night unless they had a serious drinking problem. Fast forward to a few years later, some kids at USC found out about it, Yelped their "true, authentic dive bar experience," and next thing you know this place has a four-star review on Yelp.

You have got to be kidding me. And don't even get me started about how once a place is well-received on Yelp, regardless of its quality, the fanbois come out en masse to lob on their effusive praise as well.

So yeah, I hate Yelp a little bit.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:02 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
One of my favorite Mexican restaurants:
El Norte Restaurant - Edgewater - Chicago, IL

Only place that has Carne Asada Fries on their menu (a California thing)!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
*Sigh* I miss Monticello in Andersonville, a total grease-on-the-walls taqueria that also did a brisk pizza carry-out/delivery business. Their pizza was pretty good but their steak burritos were far and away the best in town. They held out for as long as they could but eventually they got gentrified out. Now there's a stupid Hair Cuttery there. I'm impressed Los Arcos is still hanging in there.

Taqueria La Tremenda in Elgin had similarly good steak but they're gone too.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
The main reason I hate Yelp is that their "Yelp sort" is based on who gives them money and who doesn't. If you do use it, always be sure to change it to sort by date (it should be noted that its mobile app doesn't allow you to change the sort options -- which is, frankly, bull sheet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago