Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM

101 posts, read 171,915 times

Advertisements

Since I moved to the area, I've tried three different "Mexican" food places, all of them along Broadway. All three of them (all non-chain hole-in-the-wall type places) do some funky white-washing with their food. One place I got a veggie burrito, which was basically veggies, rice, and processed nacho cheese. A second place I got nachos, which also used processed nacho cheese. Last week, my friend and I went somewhere further up the street. I got nachos again and my friend got some shrimp burrito. Again, the nachos used that nasty Velveeta 'nacho' syrup, and my friend's burrito had slices of MUENSTER cheese in it. Actual sliced cheese you'd find in a sandwich.

I haven't seen processed nacho cheese in nachos since I last bought nachos at a carnival and never at an actual Mexican place. Never in an actual burrito. And I definitely don't understand the use of German cheese in a burrito. So far, I've been going to CHIPOTLE for food that remotely comes close to Mexican, which is really sad.

Granted, I know Lakeview isn't exactly a great place for ethnic food, but there's got to be at least a place in the area that comes close to being real Mexican. Anybody know of any?

I'm not even that picky. As long as they don't use that processed nacho crap and definitely hold on the Muenster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Gotta cater to you white people.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,482 times
I don't know if it's that authentic but I like Buena Vista.

Lakeview not good for ethnic food? Lakeview down Clark arguably has the widest variety of ethnic food in the city. The Austrian Bakery, Sultan's, Hai Yen, Andaloos for amazing family-run Moroccan, dozens and dozens of Thai and Chinese places, Indian places, Italian places, Ehtiopian places, Mexican places (admittedly many of the Mexican places are essentially Chi Chis)...that's just down Clark. Broadway also has a ton. Again it's not "the best" but Yummy Yummy, Joy's, Crisp and at least half a dozen other Thai and CHinese I tried are all at least good in my book.

Maybe your point is that the Chinese isn't as good as Chinatwon or the Mexican isn't as good as Pilsen...true. But I like a lot of those restaurants in Lakeview. It would be rare if the very best ethnic food from every ethnicity was all crammed together in one neighborhood. And it would also suck!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
I have to agree with the OP here. I'm originally from Texas and a bit spoiled when it comes to my Mexican or Tex-mex places. I've never seen as much processed cheese "syrup" used in so-called Mexican food. Why? I'm guessing because it's cheaper, easier and you can store it forever, but it ruins the food. Rant over. Carry on.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
I haven't seen processed nacho cheese in forever, save for guilty pleasure visits to taco bell. My first reaction to the words "good", "Mexican food", and "Chicago" wouldn't be "Let's go to the places along Broadway in Lakeview." unless it's Chilam Balam which isn't really a pop-in, pop-out place. And the ingredients aren't always authentically Mexican since the chef is dedicated to local, sustainable, yadda-yadda.

Tex-Mex is comparatively non-existent in Chicago.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
most of the mexican on the northside is terrible. there is some good stuff once you get north of montrose or west of damen though.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I don't know if it's that authentic but I like Buena Vista.
I like going to Buena Vista every now and then, but I don't think the food is all that authentic and it does kind of tend to the "slop" side.

I have noticed that quite a few Mexicans like to eat there, though. On the other hand, maybe they're just very well assimilated.

I mostly stay away from those little hole-in-the-wall taco and burrito joints. The prices are cheap, yes, but the burritos tend to be very greasy and give me stomach trouble.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Chicago has about a gazillion Mexican eateries, so trial and error is the way most of us find our favorites. Anytime you pass by a Mexican grocery/market they will likely have a little taqueria inside tucked away in some corner. These places are always worth a gamble. They usually have the freshest ingredients and serve more authentic Mexican staples.

Tex-Mex doesn't fly in Chicago. Most of the recent wave of Mexican immigrants seem to come form central and southern Mexico where that border food is kinda looked down upon.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,482 times
I mean it depends what kind of "authentic" Mexican you want. Yes the vast majority of places in Lakeview are not authentic. If a restaurant is 50,000 square feet and has glowing neon sombraros and margaritas on the roof that is generally going to be the case.

For authentic Mexican food you should probably head to Pilsen but people can't even agree on that...Nuevo Leone is great, Nuevo Leone sucks...

I have Mexican friends who enjoy big stupid mall-like Mexican restaurants like everyone else.

I don't know the Meixcan cuisine that well. Rick Bayless' places are great... someoen should just give the OP the top 5 best Mexican restaurants and be done with it!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Lakeview clientele wants the crap that they got used on drunken college campuses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago