Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Dear Uncle Sam,

I haven't seen or heard from you for awhile, but I guess that's because you travel in different circles than your poor (and forgotten) nephew does. It does seem at times we're living in a different universe.

But, forgive me, this time I've got to stick my problems in your face, like it or not. See, the cretins are still asking those "Can tell me, Why Chicago is so poor?" questions and I've reached my breaking point in dealing with it.

I figured I'd stick it in your lap since, quite frankly, you're the guy who's responsible for the mess. So, here it is, a thread from City-Data nicely packaged and sent to your door step. Read it and share it with those lobbyists who are wining and dining you at this very moment.

Read it and personally write back to the numb skulls who start these threads. Explain to them that Chicago's poverty has a lot to do with the jobs you outsourced overseas, the power you took away from the labor movement through legislation designed to keep the poor slobs in their place with little or no income. Explain how your favored 1%ers don't pay much tax while the rest of us can't get much work so there is no money available for cities and states to do a thing about all that poverty you've created.

You might want to mention that you put a lot more money into destroying cities in the Middle East than you do in building cities up in the Middle West. That happens when you spend more on "defense" (ha!) than all the other nations in the world combined.

And will you clue the cretins in on that other dirty little secret of yours:

Chicago is so poor because every other city in your friggin' country is that poor, too. Well, maybe not your own. Washington thrives pretty well, recession and depression proof because the money flows when its not your own and that's the only kind of money found inside the beltway today. so take responsibility for a change and tell the uninformed that you and your oligarchial pals are responsible for us having to occupy every f'ing (and f'd) city in this country because you've put every one of them on the brink. This is your mess. Yours and every one of your three dysfunctional and corrupt branches.

Yep, Chicago is poor compared to Stockholm and Toronto and Copenhagen and a bunch of other cities outside the American Bubble because, quite frankly, they are outside of the American Bubble.

Your forgotten nephew,

edsg25

Last edited by edsg25; 11-06-2011 at 05:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Philly is a great city. One of the most underrated on the East Coast, and an affordable alternative to NYC (easy to get to NYC any time any day pretty much via their multitude of public trans options), and their cheesesteaks are to die for (and eat too many of them and u might die too lol). Too bad NFL football fans have to hate on each other this coming Monday night, but other than that I feel like Chicago & Philly actually have quite a bit in common even though Chicago is more of the Alpha city at the end of the day.
All true. well, most of it. Philly is undeniably a great city and strangely underrated (its "rating" has never made any sense). A wonderful, wonderful, and highly historical place..

But on the negative side...

It's hard to root for a city that boos Santa Claus

and (here comes our disagreement), Philly cheesesteak is strictly minor league when matched up with our Italian Beef. And on this score, it's Philly that is way, way overrated compared to our unbelievably underrated Chicago Italian beef.

Look, I realize that deep dish pizza and our Chicago style garden on a bun hot dogs take a lot of the oxygen out of the air, but givemeabreak:

our Italian beef, drenched in gravy so it soaks through the bun and topped with peppers is a delicacy of biblical proportion.

(and for the record, I'll match a corned beef on rye at Manny's with anything that NYC has to offer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago