U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 AM

513 posts, read 472,367 times

Advertisements

Ok, Chicago cab drivers, I understand that you hate to take credit cards even though it is the law that you must, but then at least be able to change a $20 bill. I've had drivers have to drive to gas stations to get change to be able to give me change. I generally avoid using credit cards if they are unhappy about it but not being able to make change is really irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,662,902 times
This is the exact same with every single cab driver in every single cab in every single city in the country. I've actually had more problems with this in NYC than anywhere else. You have to threaten that you're getting out without paying and scream at them before they realize their machine is "magically" fixed. Credit cards mean declaring everything for taxes.

Same as those restaurants around the city that are "cash only" or have random rooms or lower levels where you aren't allowed to pay with a card. We actually got to the front door of Cesars on Clark and Belmont once before they finally caved that we could use a card even though we were sitting downstairs.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 AM

3,022 posts, read 3,500,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is the exact same with every single cab driver in every single cab in every single city in the country. I've actually had more problems with this in NYC than anywhere else.
Yep, I've had that problem much more often in NYC than Chicago, although it has happened to me here and in many other cities.

My usual response is to say that I think I have the exact fare in change. Then I start digging out every nickle, penny and dime that I have and start counting them out. That usually prompts them to produce change.

Drivers hate credit cards for a number of reasons, but mostly because of a 5 percent transaction fee tacked on by the credit card companies, cutting into their take home pay.

Last edited by Attrill; 10-29-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,127,504 times
I have lived in Chicago 15 years and I use cabs constantly, and I've used a card exactly twice.

Cash is always faster, and the only reason I take taxis is to save time so I don't quite see the point of using a payment method that takes longer.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 AM

2,173 posts, read 1,121,745 times
I have no problem telling a cab driver that I don't give a sh** what they "want" to take. I pay em in cash when I have it, but if I don't and have to use a card? They'd better take it and smile or I'll take a camera phone pic of their license and cheerfully offer to call the cab company and/or police to mediate.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM

843 posts, read 838,396 times
Cash is always king in smalltime petty transactions. I appreciate service, and like to reward it. Especially when it's performed by someone working 12+ hours a day for roughly minimum wage.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:42 PM

847 posts, read 724,417 times
Whatever. I sympathize with cab drivers too, and use cash for 98% of my cab rides, but that doesn't mean they get to pull whatever shenanigans they want. I actually make a point of having cash on me when going out, but occasionally life happens, day turns into night faster than you'd anticipated, and next thing you know you and your friends are karaokeing at some bar you've never been to far from home at 2:30am, and the buses aren't running anymore. It's time for a cab, but there's not an ATM in sight. What do you do? Why you whip out your plastic money, is what. Apologies, cab guy, but please don't throw a sh*t fit about it. I'm going to pay you, just not in the way that makes you happiest.

I've had the "my machine is broken" line thrown at me too, to which I typically respond with a promise to relieve the driver of my fare. Somehow he always finds a way to take my card. Don't have the shiny Visa/MC logo on your car and then pretend you can't accept it for whatever reason.

It'll be a shame if a cabbie's cc terminal actually is broken one day.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 AM

1,877 posts, read 1,195,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Drivers hate credit cards for a number of reasons, but mostly because of a 5 percent transaction fee tacked on by the credit card companies, cutting into their take home pay.
A 5 percent fee is annoying, but 28% Federal income tax (on a middle class income), 15.3% FICA (if you are self-employed), and 5.7% state income tax add up to REALLY F#$%(* INFURIATING. For all of us. I don't blame cab drivers for trying to evade taxes, but demanding cash and screaming at passengers is not a good strategy for doing so, and might backfire. They can just not report the cash income that is given to them voluntarily.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,864,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post

It'll be a shame if a cabbie's cc terminal actually is broken one day.
Most of them have the carbon copy sliders also.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,413,474 times
It is surprising & annoying that in today's increasingly "cashless" society that these cabs do not have an efficient way of regularly (and quickly) processing credit cards. I'm sure there are SOME folks out there that would even go as far as to tip the driver even more on a CC transaction for a couple reasons: (A) Appreciation that the cabbie took the guy's plastic when he was short on actual cash, (B) Maybe to make up for the extra fees & taxes that the cabbie may incur due to processing credit instead of cash.

Of course plenty of folks could care less and will pay the same amount regardless of the form of tender. All I'm saying is that it is nice to have options and some of these cabbies feel the need to deprive our modern society of one of our most regularly used payment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago