U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM

21,478 posts, read 35,534,747 times
What agenda might that be? The truth or some glossy photo make believe that does not resonate with what even other AA posters admit -- too often AA couples find themselves the ONLY non-white in the room...

Yes, I am gruff. Yes I like to jab at people that I perceive as a little too young / inexperienced, but when it comes to the truth about race balance and isolation the fact is a white couple in South Shore is just as anomolius as an AA couple in most north side neighborhoods.

The CPD deserves some blame for that, and the peculiar politics of Daley->Bilandic->Bryne->Washington->Orr->Sawyer->Daley and the ward organization that our unique "strong council" system fostered have a lot to do too. The freakish side effect of CPS and their "options for knowledge" which has managed to reinforce racial and social stratification also deserves a huge pile of the blame.

Do I get angry that hipsters and lay a bouts know none of this? Gult as charged. Is it part of an agenda to work toward perhaps a better system where more people have access to a better life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 PM

111 posts, read 91,197 times
Thanks everyone for the information. We have no issues with being a minority, as long as people don't treat us badly we're fine. I will say that while I don't know how Chicago is in this aspect, but most in most of the cities we've lived in or have spent a lot of time in segregation for the younger generation doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. We've also lived in Manayunk and Society Hill in Philadelphia, and in both instances, while we were probably the only AA couple on that street, there were lots of other couples and single people around our age and we had no problems making friends or fitting in with our neighbors. My husband does work a "blue collar" type job but he makes good money and is doing it to put himself through college, and thats never mattered with any of our friends either, not even in DC where its VERY "white collar" young professional types. I'll probably be exploring some of the northern neighborhoods that we're suggested and Evanston as a suburb back up place.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,045,701 times
If you're familiar with Philadelphia, I think you'll have no problems in Chicago.

Both Philly and Chicago have large areas of high crime and high poverty, and in both cities those neighborhoods and lifestyles are easily avoidable.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM

124 posts, read 109,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If you're familiar with Philadelphia, I think you'll have no problems in Chicago.

Both Philly and Chicago have large areas of high crime and high poverty, and in both cities those neighborhoods and lifestyles are easily avoidable.
Don't compare us to Philly. The people of Philly are total trash, or have you forgotten them going around beating people wearing Chicago attire during the Stanley Cup?

Now let me say this again, you wanna live in good neighborhoods with lots of things to do and great people, go to the North Side of town. You wanna be around gang bangers and all that nonsense, move to the West Side or South Sides of town.

Don't listen to these stoonads arguing. After you've decided that you wanna live on the best part of town, research what neighborhoods fit your needs and what you can afford.

Though honestly if you don't HAVE to live in city limits, there are northern suburbs that border the city that're real nice like Norridge, Harwood Heights, Niles, Skokie, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,058,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineDS07 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. We have no issues with being a minority, as long as people don't treat us badly we're fine. I will say that while I don't know how Chicago is in this aspect, but most in most of the cities we've lived in or have spent a lot of time in segregation for the younger generation doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. We've also lived in Manayunk and Society Hill in Philadelphia, and in both instances, while we were probably the only AA couple on that street, there were lots of other couples and single people around our age and we had no problems making friends or fitting in with our neighbors. My husband does work a "blue collar" type job but he makes good money and is doing it to put himself through college, and thats never mattered with any of our friends either, not even in DC where its VERY "white collar" young professional types. I'll probably be exploring some of the northern neighborhoods that we're suggested and Evanston as a suburb back up place.
Then you will be fine. Go look. Explore neighborhoods. And decide what you like. Do some online research about the different neighborhoods (explorechicago, frommers, etc) to determine what seems interesting

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 5,596,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Don't compare us to Philly. The people of Philly are total trash, or have you forgotten them going around beating people wearing Chicago attire during the Stanley Cup?

Now let me say this again, you wanna live in good neighborhoods with lots of things to do and great people, go to the North Side of town. You wanna be around gang bangers and all that nonsense, move to the West Side or South Sides of town.

Don't listen to these stoonads arguing. After you've decided that you wanna live on the best part of town, research what neighborhoods fit your needs and what you can afford.

Though honestly if you don't HAVE to live in city limits, there are northern suburbs that border the city that're real nice like Norridge, Harwood Heights, Niles, Skokie, etc.
Whatever. You don't know the south side in its entirety. I would much rather live in Hyde Park or Beverly (nice, beautiful neighborhoods on the south side) than Hermosa, Belmont Cragin, Albany Park/Humboldt Park, etc. (north side neighborhoods that have hispanic gang problems). keep in mind that our president lived on the south side.

At least on the south side, you know EXACTLY what the nice areas are, and EXACTLY what the bad areas are.

Unlike the north side where you have had so much gentrification and displacement, and the fact that gang infested hispanic neighborhoods are virbrant, you don't know whats a good area, and whats a bad area.

And seriously I wouldn't describe Norrridge, Harwood Heights, and Niles as "really nice" they are ok, they are not bad, but theres nothing about them that are "real nice" They're average. And honestly, if you don't speak Polish or other eastern european language, you might feel like a minority anyways.

Don't call Philly people total trash, judging by your posts, you do a lot of the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM

124 posts, read 109,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Whatever. You don't know the south side in its entirety. I would much rather live in Hyde Park or Beverly (nice, beautiful neighborhoods on the south side) than Hermosa, Belmont Cragin, Albany Park/Humboldt Park, etc. (north side neighborhoods that have hispanic gang problems). keep in mind that our president lived on the south side.

At least on the south side, you know EXACTLY what the nice areas are, and EXACTLY what the bad areas are.

Unlike the north side where you have had so much gentrification and displacement, and the fact that gang infested hispanic neighborhoods are virbrant, you don't know whats a good area, and whats a bad area.

And seriously I wouldn't describe Norrridge, Harwood Heights, and Niles as "really nice" they are ok, they are not bad, but theres nothing about them that are "real nice" They're average. And honestly, if you don't speak Polish or other eastern european language, you might feel like a minority anyways.

Don't call Philly people total trash, judging by your posts, you do a lot of the pot calling the kettle black.
Haha Hyde Park? The people didn't say they were rich so I didn't even bother mentioning it.

Haha what're you talking about? I used to live in Berwyn/Cicero and it's terrible now and I still have friends there. There's maybe a few blocks in each place on the South and West sides I'd be fine being in. If you're a native to the area you know what's good and bad.

And really? I'm around there all the time (I'm not a Pole, either) and I get along fine and I've never seen anything shady at all. Also, was that some anti-Polish feelings I'm sensing? What a terrible person you are....hahaha.

I'm sorry Mr. Texan if I pissed you off. But honestly, I don't know you nor do I care what you think. This lady wanted advice on where to live, I offered her advice. She said she's black, so I could've easily gone, "Oh yeah! Black family, hit up Englewood for a place!" But no, they're a young family, I would never advise anyone to move there or on the South or West Sides (besides rich areas like Hyde Park).

And I don't know if you're aware, but there's a huge North Side/South Side rivalry in Chicago. Just an FYI for ya. We always say crap about each other (both joking and seriously).

But anyway, OP, I just wanted to give you some advice on great places to live in the area. Hope you enjoy it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago