U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 AM

258 posts, read 280,620 times
Default The Internet and Crime Reduction

Maybe there's some sociological research on this, maybe not, since it's a recent phenomenon. But it's an interesting topic and I'd like to get some views.

Thanks to the Internet, we can now easily get detailed, up-to-date, locally very specific crime data, thanks to sites like the CPD's ClearMap, everyblock.com, and other sources. These data would have taken ages to track down pre-Internet. It's also a lot easier to monitor activity on your street and neighborhood and interact with other concerned locals.

So my questions: Has the Internet had a notable effect on crime reduction in Chicago? Do you personally find it useful for promoting safety in your own neighborhood? Any interesting anecdotes or stories to share on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,719,614 times
Well, I heard a story on the news this morning that was kind of the reverse. Supposedly 78% of burglars use social media like Facebook and Four Square to find good targets.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Well, I heard a story on the news this morning that was kind of the reverse. Supposedly 78% of burglars use social media like Facebook and Four Square to find good targets.
And I've heard of the reverse of that: criminals caught due to messages they left on Facebook or on cellphones.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,542 times
Josef, there are studies to back what you're saying. Basically, fighting crime has gotten a lot more high tech and officers are able to use technology and other methods to watch for things before they even happen.

I'd say it's one of the reasons we've had the lowest crime rates since the 60s.

On the flip side, internet and technology ARE leading to more instances of burglary (facebook, foursquare, as knitgirl mentioned.)

Also, people become MUCH more keenly aware of crime. Before the internet, I wouldn't know a quarter of all things going on. Now we have blogs, the CLEARmap, and the internet in general. We're hyper-aware now.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Basically, fighting crime has gotten a lot more high tech and officers are able to use technology and other methods to watch for things before they even happen.

I'd say it's one of the reasons we've had the lowest crime rates since the 60s.
One reason I got interested in this subject is because crime continues to go down, despite the fact that the economy is the worst since the Great Depression. So I was thinking there must be some new factor in crime control.

Quote:
Also, people become MUCH more keenly aware of crime. Before the internet, I wouldn't know a quarter of all things going on.
Which also creates the interesting paradox that people feel less safe while being more safe. When I was living in Lakeview in the Dark Ages (1990s), I would pick up the local free paper for the police blotter. That was basically the only way I found out about crime. (I still remember some of the goofier crimes reported, such as the guy who was arrested with 36 dog collars that he had stolen, and the fellow arrested for masturbating on a park bench. Ah the joys of city living.)

Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,608,936 times
Does anyone have a link that shows homocides in chicago for the year 2011

Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM

3,066 posts, read 2,945,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Does anyone have a link that shows homocides in chicago for the year 2011
Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,608,936 times
That is exactly what I was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago