Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Trust me black people are not going to go down south. I know a lot of black people in the chi and they all cant stand the south. They all say how it reminds them of the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Trust me black people are not going to go down south. I know a lot of black people in the chi and they all cant stand the south. They all say how it reminds them of the old days.
There are mutually-exclusive viewpoints frequently expressed on this board that Chicago is more segregated and racist than the South, yet few black people actually seem to prefer living down there.

What are the rest of us missing that explains this? I'm genuinely curious, as is the South just that awful for people of all backgrounds (that has certainly been my impression from every Southerner I've ever met who transplanted to Chicago) or is Chicago indeed just that bad for your average black person (a viewpoint we certainly also hear a lot)?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
There are mutually-exclusive viewpoints frequently expressed on this board that Chicago is more segregated and racist than the South, yet few black people actually seem to prefer living down there.
Your first mistake is assuming that a few posters on the Chicago board constitute the truth about how Black people feel. Of course there are people that prefer Chicago to Atlanta, or Chicago to Houston. The rantings of a few people dissatisfied with Atlanta does not invalidate the fact that there is net outflow for Black people from north to south.

Then you say that "few" Black people prefer living "down there." Yet I believe the majority (greater than 50%) of Black people in the US live in the south. So your statement is incorrect and ill-informed.

Quote:
What are the rest of us missing that explains this? I'm genuinely curious, as is the South just that awful for people of all backgrounds (that has certainly been my impression from every Southerner I've ever met who transplanted to Chicago) or is Chicago indeed just that bad for your average black person (a viewpoint we certainly also hear a lot)?
The "south" encompasses so many different possible cities and lifestyles that it is impossible to lump it all together. If someone moves from Chicago to a rural town in Arkansas and doesn't like it, is it because they moved to the south or because they moved to a rural area? Had they moved to Cairo, IL (a "northern" rural town) they probably would have been just as unhappy.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Your first mistake is assuming that a few posters on the Chicago board constitute the truth about how Black people feel. Of course there are people that prefer Chicago to Atlanta, or Chicago to Houston. The rantings of a few people dissatisfied with Atlanta does not invalidate the fact that there is net outflow for Black people from north to south.

Then you say that "few" Black people prefer living "down there." Yet I believe the majority (greater than 50%) of Black people in the US live in the south. So your statement is incorrect and ill-informed.

The "south" encompasses so many different possible cities and lifestyles that it is impossible to lump it all together. If someone moves from Chicago to a rural town in Arkansas and doesn't like it, is it because they moved to the south or because they moved to a rural area? Had they moved to Cairo, IL (a "northern" rural town) they probably would have been just as unhappy.
I did not make any assumptions whatsoever, nor did I claim that the posters on this board speak for any larger group.

I think you misread my question altogether, I was not referring to the black people who have always lived down there, just ones who grew up in Chicago and moved later in life.

Specifically, I don't understand what the "old days" were that were mentioned as being undesirable, which is why I responded to/quoted:

"Trust me black people are not going to go down south. I know a lot of black people in the chi and they all cant stand the south. They all say how it reminds them of the old days."

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
its too humid down south

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
JacksonPanther,

You say that the majority of Blacks in the US live in the South. Well that would make sense, given that when Africans were taken as slaves and brought to the Us, they were taken to the Southern states to work the plantations there.

I think that most American blacks living in the South is more of a reflection that many blacks remained in the South while only smaller numbers headed North or West.

I think it would be fair to say that this majority you mention is made up of black slave descendents who never left the South as opposed to huge numbers of blacks fleeing South from the North in recent decades.

This may not apply to all of course but in my 15 years of living in GA, the most common reason blacks have given for moving here from other places is that they wanted to own a house. Others bought into the myth that Atlanta is a Mecca for blacks, only to learn that the wages are low and there aren't a lot of resources, and unless you are a part of black fraternaties, sororities or elite black professional groups or alumni associations, you will be on the outside when it comes to finding good-paying work.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Others bought into the myth that Atlanta is a Mecca for blacks, only to learn that the wages are low and there aren't a lot of resources, and unless you are a part of black fraternaties, sororities or elite black professional groups or alumni associations, you will be on the outside when it comes to finding good-paying work.
Sounds kind of like the myth of America, to be honest.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Sounds kind of like the myth of America, to be honest.
Don't get me wrong. Many blacks come here and do well, but it is usually the highly educated and it depends on their field. But it's not a free-for-all for the average black person as mnay have been led to believe.

I have a black friend who moved here from WI with a bachelor's 8 years ago and couldn't find work. So she got her master's and she till couldn't find decent work and have been evicted many times because she just could never find a job that pays enough to pay rent. This happens a lot to blacks who come here thinking it is the promised land. She said lots of pepole hyped Atlanta up to her that she could come here and do well and that just wasn't the case.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:45 PM

It was just reported in the news 30 minutes ago that Georgia is in the top 5 states with people living in poverty with the majority of them being black. The issues being there is no job creation in Georgia's private sector, with employers claiming that there aren't enough skilled people here to do the jobs.

There are lots of educated blacks here, many who moved down here from the north for better opportunity. In the Atlanta forum and other forums I have read, so many blacks still want to move here and I see more and more IL plates every day.

This news report is pretty much spot on about the economic situation in GA and I don't understand what so many black people think is down here. They definitely don't follow GA economic and business news. I have known many black people who moved down here with degrees and end up living pillar to post or don't make $30k a year when they do get jobs.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It was just reported in the news 30 minutes ago that Georgia is in the top 5 states with people living in poverty with the majority of them being black. The issues being there is no job creation in Georgia's private sector, with employers claiming that there aren't enough skilled people here to do the jobs.

There are lots of educated blacks here, many who moved down here from the north for better opportunity. In the Atlanta forum and other forums I have read, so many blacks still want to move here and I see more and more IL plates every day.

This news report is pretty much spot on about the economic situation in GA and I don't understand what so many black people think is down here. They definitely don't follow GA economic and business news. I have known many black people who moved down here with degrees and end up living pillar to post or don't make $30k a year when they do get jobs.
Its just grass is greener syndrome. They'll be back lol. I will say though, it seems Atlanta is good for black entrepreneurs (but I say that as an outsider. don't know the real truth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago