U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 AM

10,116 posts, read 5,513,126 times

Advertisements

This is the first installment in "The Great Return," an occasional HuffPost BlackVoices series about the shift of African Americans toward the South after the Great Migration to the North.

CHICAGO — Nearly seven decades ago, James Middleton was just a toddler when he watched a white man shoot and kill a black man in the little town of Lambert, Mississippi.

He had tagged along with his father to run errands and, giddy with excitement, sat in his daddy's Ford as they pulled up to a local restaurant. There was a commotion out front —a family friend arguing with the eatery's white owner, who had a pistol in his hand.

MOD EDIT

Chicago's Great Migration: Blacks Leaving Historic Neighborhoods To Return South

Last edited by linicx; 11-06-2011 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:38 AM

2,950 posts, read 2,195,197 times
I recently read "The Warmth of Other Suns". It is a must read. The author won a Pulitzer Prize for writing about the great migration. I was never taught about this in school. I guess things have finally come full circle. From what I have read, they never really wanted to leave in the first place.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM

72 posts, read 53,963 times
They'll eventually come back to the Chi because once they find out how slow and boring the southern cities are they'll flee back to the familiar. Thats only natural ofcourse to want to explore new places.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM

5,026 posts, read 5,857,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisBop22 View Post
They'll eventually come back to the Chi because once they find out how slow and boring the southern cities are they'll flee back to the familiar. Thats only natural ofcourse to want to explore new places.
Blah, blah, blah. Ignorance.

Well, at least maybe for the majority of southern cities. Do you have any clue about Atlanta?? Have you ever been there? Sure its spread out, and if you don't like spread out, then fine, Chicagos for you. Personally, I think glitz, nightlife mixed with trees and space is beautiful.

Its like the fastest growing black entreprenuerial/black celebrity city in the country. Many people have moved down there and were shocked to see how the nightlife was mixed.

Have you read threads on the Chicago forum, about how posters said thats its tough being a young college educated male, because just almost all the majority black neighborhoods are mostly crappy, and they would have to conform to white/post collegiate big ten style on the north side neighborhoods. Chicago is more segregated than the big southern cities are (Houston, Atlanta, etc.).

Chicago may be more established and has denser neighborhoods with more historic buildings. Which has its value and charm for sure.

But hey if you can beautiful trees and grass in the same places where you party (like Buckhead), why not?

And then theres New Orleans, which may not be big compared to Chicago (in NOLA you hit swamps within 15 miles, but its best they stay that way), but its core neighborhoods are just as urban and lively, if not possibly a little more so.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM

5,263 posts, read 8,270,258 times
If the unskilled jobs were still plentiful here in Chicago, and if Jim Crow still ruled the South, there would be no reversal of the Great Migration. But unfortunately, the factory jobs left overseas, and fortunately, Jim Crow is dead.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,413,474 times
I agree man. Atlanta is alive & kicking and its metro area has a pretty strong economy. Furthermore, for the money you'd spend on a cramped condo in the city here, you can virtually own a mansion in many of Atlanta's suburbs. I was in Buckhead (hip ATL neighborhood) about a month or two ago for an event, and I was pleasantly surprised by the vibrancy of the area as well as the superb hospitality, customer service and kindness of the folks I encountered. Seemed quite different from what I'm accustomed to in Chicago and even some of the burbs. ATL is wayy less segregated than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Ignorance.

Well, at least maybe for the majority of southern cities. Do you have any clue about Atlanta?? Have you ever been there? Sure its spread out, and if you don't like spread out, then fine, Chicagos for you. Personally, I think glitz, nightlife mixed with trees and space is beautiful.

Its like the fastest growing black entreprenuerial/black celebrity city in the country. Many people have moved down there and were shocked to see how the nightlife was mixed.

Have you read threads on the Chicago forum, about how posters said thats its tough being a young college educated male, because just almost all the majority black neighborhoods are mostly crappy, and they would have to conform to white/post collegiate big ten style on the north side neighborhoods. Chicago is more segregated than the big southern cities are (Houston, Atlanta, etc.).

Chicago may be more established and has denser neighborhoods with more historic buildings. Which has its value and charm for sure.

But hey if you can beautiful trees and grass in the same places where you party (like Buckhead), why not?

And then theres New Orleans, which may not be big compared to Chicago (in NOLA you hit swamps within 15 miles, but its best they stay that way), but its core neighborhoods are just as urban and lively, if not possibly a little more so.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM

1,272 posts, read 3,619,809 times
Yeah, it truly is infinitely less segregated than Chicago. Was just talking about this yesterday with my hubby. BUT, there are other challenges . Depending on personal preference, any one of them or combination of them may be a deal breaker. Like the traffic, confusing xpwy/street traffic patterns, lack of blue sky - go figure, the constant driving, driving, driving, "downtown", and unbelievable as it may seem, dearth of good street food places, the s-l-o-w-e-r pace. Anyway, enough of that talk on the Chicago forum. I find the reverse migration to be very interesting.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 PM

816 posts, read 953,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
They are more urban and lively than Chicago actually. Sad but true. Narrower streets, older architecture, more bars, more art galleries, more people on the street almost anytime of year outside of the summer. The main problem with NO is metro size and economy, but it easily holds it's own in urbanity, street life, night life.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-06-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 11:54 PM

3,233 posts, read 2,404,998 times
I spent 5 years in Memphis. Work out of Atlanta 2 days a week. I'm going to tell you it ain't what many want you to believe it is.

The south is more integrated than Chicago because the city came up during a different time. In Chicago if they don't like you, they don't have to pretend they do. Racist live in their own enclave in the "segregated north". They dont bother you. Down south they will smile and do their friendly twang about they are your good neighbour and how christian they are and call you a name behind your back.

I found my oasis in Chicago because of the big city resources and the quality of life that comes with it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,413,474 times
You know. It's ironic. A young, caucasian bartender down in Buckhead (ATL) told me that the southern hospitality thing is complete BS, but his paying attention to my group & him giving us the time of day to me was hospitality in and of itself. There are many times that you won't even get that kind of attention in Chicago. Second, I had the blessing of being served by an EXTREMELY kind sweetheart at a Chick Fil A in Buckhead as well (she happened to be African-American and probably in her late 30's or early to mid 40's. I am in my late 20's). She was treating me like I was a family member & the feeling was contagious. I've RARELY felt that kind of warm, fuzzy vibe or customer service in Chicago. Eating that delicious burger afterwards only made the feeling even stronger lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I spent 5 years in Memphis. Work out of Atlanta 2 days a week. I'm going to tell you it ain't what many want you to believe it is.

The south is more integrated than Chicago because the city came up during a different time. In Chicago if they don't like you, they don't have to pretend they do. Racist live in their own enclave in the "segregated north". They dont bother you. Down south they will smile and do their friendly twang about they are your good neighbour and how christian they are and call you a name behind your back.

I found my oasis in Chicago because of the big city resources and the quality of life that comes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago