U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:41 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,064,044 times

Advertisements

I would highly recommend renting first. Chicago commutes are nothing to scoff at, and with your list of demands, I suspect you might end up rather far from your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:46 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,766,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
...buying a house in a primarily white and nice neighborhood is going to be expensive and far away. plus, it's going to be a huge pain getting to the loop from anywhere like that...
I work in the loop and practically everyone in my office lives in Mokena, Naperville, Plainfield, etc... I wouldn't do it and it is a huge pain, but it's very common to live far from work, most people in the loop come in daily from the suburbs.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,766,176 times
Also, I agree with aragx6, just rent for one year and get your bearings for the area, best idea i think.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,608,704 times
Rent a place if you want to stay in the city because prices are still falling and you won't be able to buy a traditional home in the city anyways.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,309,325 times
Without housing budget and some specifics of what you desire in a new neighborhood, it is difficult to advise.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM

10,848 posts, read 15,003,530 times
What no one is telling you is that real estate taxes are obnoxious. It is not unusal to see a tax bill of $10K in Chicago. Loop parking can start about $200 per month and does not include parking permits, CTA, bus or tollway passes. $60K will get you far more in TN than it does in Il. There was a member a couple of years ago wondering about a midwife as the hospitals charge $50K to have a baby - providing there are not complicaions.

Chicagoland is a melting pot of colors, cultures, religions and languages. It is urban and 10M people, You can find $500.00 dinners that rivals anything in NYC or LA. And you can find world class entertainment. It comes with a helfty price tag.

If you have never lived north of TN you are going to freeze this first winter. The Canadian wind that whips off the lake is generally bitter cold in the winter. If we are really lucky we wont have another 30" snowfall that paralyzes the city this year.

I urge you to explore Oak Park. It is 9 miles from the Loop and if offers Chicago services such as train, bus, taxi, limo and zip car. You may not find a house but you may find a short term lease while you look. The housing center is free and they can help you get settled. I would apply now as IL has some rather stringent housing rules that require credit and criminal crecord checks. Even if you do apply today you may not get a place to live before January. Most new residents do not want to spend half a months salary on motels while waiting for an apartment.

OP is a very unique and historical piece of Chicagoland. Enjoy it while you explore Chicago and learn.

Oak Park Regional Housing Center.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,240,218 times
elmhurst and wheaton are certainly much better, more upscale towns with better schools than River grove or Carol Stream. Elmhurst and Wheaton are beautiful. The others while not bad areas are just okay in my book. River Grove is an older suburb more middle and working class. Carol Stream has new homes but does not really have a town center.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 20,598 times
You can go to Illinois State School Report card to get more information about the schools. Each of those towns has unique features of its own. I might suggest renting first for a while. That will give you a chance to explore before deciding where to buy. Have fun! And welcome!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM

621 posts, read 567,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
snipped

good advice. when i was looking, i found the taxes in chicago proper to be, on average, much lower in the city than in the burbs. did my small sample size skew my perception?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,864,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
good advice. when i was looking, i found the taxes in chicago proper to be, on average, much lower in the city than in the burbs. did my small sample size skew my perception?
Nah property taxes in Chicago can be a bit lower for a couple of reasons.

1. In a lot of burbs the more well off vote themselves high property taxes to fund schools and they can afford it. A 20-30K property tax would be one heck of a burdon on working class\lower middle income homeowners. Of course as the town ages and the number of children needing school declines then it gets harder and harder to raise taxes for school.

2. Chicago has a lot more property on which to collect.

3. The City sales tax and other taxes/fees being the primary way the city gets income vs. say property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago