U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,581,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyKaynard View Post
Elmhurst
Wheaton
Carol Stream
River Grove

Me and my fiancee are relocating from Nashville. I will have a job in the loop, at will be commuting. Our house budget is 295000- to 299000 tops. Which one of these also has the best schools? We don't have kids yet, but we're planning to as soon as we get married. What do you think of these towns?
If it were me, Carol Stream would be out immediately because it doesn't have a metra station, which in my experience is crucial for getting downtown to work. I work in the loop as well.

I would probably choose Wheaton over Elmhurst only because your money will buy you more there. You could get a decent single family house walking distance to the Metra stop and downtown Wheaton with your budget. Compared to Nashville I'm not sure that your money will go as far, but it will go farther in Wheaton than Elmhurst.

I would also consider adding Glen Ellyn to your list. I think Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are relatively similar, so I would go with whatever place you find a house you like more. But, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM

229 posts, read 201,249 times
Try the Dunning Area, great place to raise a family with pretty good public schools in the area. Has a mixed population of Hispanics/Polish/white and other eastern European folks. Area is one of the safest areas in the city.
I suggest you take a quick flight out to Chicago before you officially move and scope the Chicago neighborhoods out that you're interested in.

"Primarily white"
I don't know how you southerners are like but us city folk desire diverse neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 AM

621 posts, read 551,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
T
"Primarily white"
I don't know how you southerners are like but us city folk desire diverse neighborhoods.
ha! this is one of the most segregated cities in the country!

i agree with you regarding the dunning area. i live here and we really like it. good shopping, schools, parks all over the place, beautiful houses in schorsch village, and safe. a bunch of fairly good restaurants we can walk/bike to as well....including an amazing gelato place (Bellezza Gelato Cafe) and a place that makes an awesome pizza margherita (Caponies Trattoria). Plus I can ride to a Mr. Beef, etc. etc....

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM

21,487 posts, read 35,598,868 times
Wow. Just WOW. Some posters have some really unsubstantiated views on various suburbs.

Saying Wheaton is going to get more for your money in the OP's price range is very subjective. Elmhurst has a far different mix of neighborhoods. You will not find the kind of relatively modern cul de sac subdivisions in Elmhurst that are prevalent along Wheaton's southern end. The core of Elmhurst, with its fantastic library, museum campus and relative secular namesake college are all much more vibrantly integrated into the town than Wheaton's far more religious college campus.

Commuter trains from Elmhurst are going to be considerably easier to deal with than Wheaton, both due to the relative distance traveled and the more robust mix of parking options.

School wise Elmhurst has significantly upgraded the historic York high school and that has done much to revitalize the community support of this uniquely effective unit district. Wheaton schools are also quite good, but the uniformity of acheivemment is much harder tot achieve given both the organization of the districts that serve various part of town and the range of expenditures that this fosters.

I like some of the other suggestions -- there is no reason NOT to look at other towns like Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Naperville, Lisle, LaGrange, etc.

Don't really see much point in including towns w/o train service, nor do would I include towns that do not show up on the "Illinois Honor Roll" for Academic Excellence as based on the state andated tests and hosted by NIU, this is one of the few objective measures of achievement and towns whose schools do not make the cut are going to fall further and further behind... Illinois Honor Roll

Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,186,537 times
Wheaton and Elmhurst are the whitest

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 AM

7,795 posts, read 5,478,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Wheaton and Elmhurst are the whitest
Wheaton is a dump. Elmhurst is nice, don't think you will find much more than a dumpy condo in either town in that price range.

Last edited by Vlajos; 11-09-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wow. Just WOW. Some posters have some really unsubstantiated views on various suburbs.

Saying Wheaton is going to get more for your money in the OP's price range is very subjective. Elmhurst has a far different mix of neighborhoods. You will not find the kind of relatively modern cul de sac subdivisions in Elmhurst that are prevalent along Wheaton's southern end. The core of Elmhurst, with its fantastic library, museum campus and relative secular namesake college are all much more vibrantly integrated into the town than Wheaton's far more religious college campus.

Commuter trains from Elmhurst are going to be considerably easier to deal with than Wheaton, both due to the relative distance traveled and the more robust mix of parking options.
Well, let me qualify my response on money going farther in Wheaton vs. Elmhurst... I'm personally looking to move to the suburbs and both Wheaton and Elmhurst are on my list. But, my #1 requirement is location, and for me that means being able to walk to the metra station. There are a lot more houses for sale in Wheaton within walking distance to its metra stations than there are in Elmhurst. I look at what is available every single day... There's just more to choose from in Wheaton and the options, in my opinion, are nicer. I've only looked at single family homes, so anything attached, I cannot comment on.

Parking at any metra station is a pain in the rear, in my opinion. I would just assume leave that out of the equation entirely if I can. So, that's the reason I responded the way I did, for whatever it is worth.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wheaton is a dump. Elmhurst is nice, don't think you will find much more than a dumpy condo in either town in that price range.
I don't think Wheaton is a dump and, for what it's worth, there are several houses in Wheaton, walking distance from the metra stations, within the OP's price range:

212 S Blanchard St Wheaton IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07930330 - Realtor.com®

549 W Indiana St Wheaton IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07908991 - Realtor.com®

1421 E Harrison Ave Wheaton IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07928907 - Realtor.com®

814 N Blanchard St Wheaton IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07919502 - Realtor.com®

Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM

7,795 posts, read 5,478,804 times
Dear god, those are some of the worst homes I've seen in a while. Reinforces my view of Wheaton.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 PM

5,447 posts, read 6,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Dear god, those are some of the worst homes I've seen in a while. Reinforces my view of Wheaton.
Oh definitely, looks like something out of Englewood or Ford Heights- just the worst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago